Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can you drive in KSA on a UK Licence

Can you drive in KSA on a UK Licence

Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you drive in KSA on a UK Licence

Youll be ok with applying for the passport just dont mention anything about BP on the application!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

Youll be ok with applying for the passport just dont mention anything about BP on the application!
Why not.............did America disown Dow/ Union Carbide after the Bhopal incident?

They killed thousands of my countrymen.....and they had the guts to say "US$ 500 pretty good for Indian Life". And now they are milking BP as much as they can...

Height of ****.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

presumed you were American and youll need a sense of humour to get a B passport, you certainly need one when you have it!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Saudi M.O.I. Website isnt much helpfull either!!!

http://www.moi.gov.sa/wps/portal/tra...Non-Saudis%29/
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

pranabdc is an unknown quantity at this point

presumed you were American and youll need a sense of humour to get a B passport, you certainly need one when you have it!
I know..I used to have the impression that the western country embassies' have more concern for their expats......but I now understood they all eye the pie only.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pranabdc
I will use my US Driving license initially....as americans/arabs both drive on the right / 'wrong' side of the road... I am hoping it wont be a big issue.
I have been driving on the left side of the road with my UK licence for past seven months. Now stopped twice - no problem with UK licence - off to get a saudi licence this morning - i will then be able to drive on the right which may speed the journey to work.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Where can one get an IDP in Riyadh - I am sure it has been asked/answered before, so sorry in advance.

Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Not sure in saudi, but if you send to Uk via courier UPS/DHL & arrange prepaid return RAC did mine in UK 2 days to process with small charge about 10 quid! took 6 days back to me!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fugative
Not sure in saudi, but if you send to Uk via courier UPS/DHL & arrange prepaid return RAC did mine in UK 2 days to process with small charge about 10 quid! took 6 days back to me!
Thanks !! I'll be in Blighty in August
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

You can get an IDP in Riyadh very easy but don't know how. however IDPs are not valid in the country of issue. Went for a Saudi driving licence today - not what i expected. I spent one hour queuing behind the same 90,000 pakistanis that I got stuck behind when I Arrived At immigration, to have my finger prints taken.And that was it. I only assume i was applying for a driving licence !
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
You can get an IDP in Riyadh very easy but don't know how. however IDPs are not valid in the country of issue. Went for a Saudi driving licence today - not what i expected. I spent one hour queuing behind the same 90,000 pakistanis that I got stuck behind when I Arrived At immigration, to have my finger prints taken.And that was it. I only assume i was applying for a driving licence !
You should have had your picture taken as well as your fingerprints.
Your local Mr Fixit (P.R.O. Man ) should have sorted out all the paperwork for you.
But if you have an iquama then your picture should be on the main data base.
I got my license within the space of an hour when i was in Taif.
Mine is due for renewal soon so i can lose this big half a page type license and get one of the new types small credit card size.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
You should have had your picture taken as well as your fingerprints.
Your local Mr Fixit (P.R.O. Man ) should have sorted out all the paperwork for you.
But if you have an iquama then your picture should be on the main data base.
I got my license within the space of an hour when i was in Taif.
Mine is due for renewal soon so i can lose this big half a page type license and get one of the new types small credit card size.
i filled in the paperwork with help from a saudi waiting his turn (as it needs to be in arabic and my company had only provided me with half of the forms I needed), i then had the very strange eye exam and after that didn't have a clue what to do next. there were no instructions or anything in english and i had no interest in queueing behind the 90,000 others in the place so i thought sod it i'll go ask the police chief in the corner office. smart move it turns out, he told me to have a seat on his leather sofa while he summoned some assistant who took the paperwork off me, brought me a cup of tea and told me to wait. 15 minutes later he walked in with the license in his hand. all i had to do was pay SR400. even the company pro was amazed that it worked, and told me that's the method he would recommend for all western expats from now on.

so what did i learn that day? never queue for anything in saudi where you have no idea what's going on. just seek out the boss man and approach him politely. works like a dream. did the same thing to get my car export paper (allowing me to take my car across the border into bahrain).
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by norsk

so what did i learn that day? never queue for anything in saudi where you have no idea what's going on. just seek out the boss man and approach him politely. works like a dream. did the same thing to get my car export paper (allowing me to take my car across the border into bahrain).
This is the place at Dallah right? I had nearly the same experience a couple of years ago except that I was with the company PRO at the time. The place was empty and was just about to close when we arrived, first guy insists that we come back tomorrow so PRO just goes around behind him and finds the boss who disappears off and comes back 10 minutes later with the licence.