British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   CAn you drive from Ajman to Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/can-you-drive-ajman-dubai-572281/)

guest 5678 Nov 10th 2008 1:26 pm

CAn you drive from Ajman to Dubai?

Hi everyone,

I have been offered a job working in Sharjah and living in Ajman. I am wondering how hard it is to get to Dubai from here? I know the traffic is horrendous - does this include at the weekend? Are there any times of day when it is possible to drive into Dubai without being gridlocked?

Have until tomorrow to say whether I'll take the job. It's hard deciding when I don't really know the areas concerned. All your help is much appreciated!

Shadya Nov 10th 2008 1:30 pm

Re: CAn you drive from Ajman to Dubai?

If you are working in Sharjah and living in Ajman, why would you want to drive to Dubai? Yes, on Fridays you will find the route passable.

The Dean Nov 10th 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by guest 5678 (Post 6958674)
Hi everyone,

I have been offered a job working in Sharjah and living in Ajman. I am wondering how hard it is to get to Dubai from here? I know the traffic is horrendous - does this include at the weekend? Are there any times of day when it is possible to drive into Dubai without being gridlocked?

Have until tomorrow to say whether I'll take the job. It's hard deciding when I don't really know the areas concerned. All your help is much appreciated!

Your would-be employer is insisting on telling you where you must live??

guest 5678 Nov 10th 2008 1:53 pm

I have a job as a teacher and accommodation is provided. I have friends in Dubai though so was wondering about the feasability of seeing them. So it seems it'd be possible to make the trip at weekends?

Thanks for your replies!

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by guest 5678 (Post 6958738)
I have a job as a teacher and accommodation is provided. I have friends in Dubai though so was wondering about the feasability of seeing them. So it seems it'd be possible to make the trip at weekends?

Thanks for your replies!

Ajman to Dubai is under 1 hour, mid week - double that plus. Hope you have done your research on this offer, don't mean to be negative, but Ajman is not my choice of venue! :unsure:

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6959367)
Ajman to Dubai is under 1 hour, mid week - double that plus. Hope you have done your research on this offer, don't mean to be negative, but Ajman is not my choice of venue! :unsure:

Says who??? Ajman is considered as a second Paris these days...

guest 5678 Nov 10th 2008 6:24 pm

Roadking, what is it you don't like about Ajman? I've heard it's quieter than Dubai which has its advantages I guess. Where do you live?

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6959378)

Says me...by who?

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6959418)
Says me...by who?

Ajmanians and Ajmanites...But Ajmanistanis have a different view...

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by guest 5678 (Post 6959400)
Roadking, what is it you don't like about Ajman? I've heard it's quieter than Dubai which has its advantages I guess. Where do you live?

have several friends who made the move to Ajman and find the "quiet" a little too much. I live in Dubai and have for the 6 years we have been here, so I guess I have no real personal comparison. Only reporting other peoples opinions.
Whatever, good luck.

Roadking Nov 10th 2008 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6959424)
Ajmanians and Ajmanites...But Ajmanistanis have a different view...

Aaah, if we're going local I think you'll find the Ajmanorians find it a bit too quiet. And the camels run a bit too fast for procreation purposes.

CeeBee Nov 10th 2008 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6959438)
Aaah, if we're going local I think you'll find the Ajmanorians find it a bit too quiet. And the camels run a bit too fast for procreation purposes.

I heard Ajman once being touted as "the future Monaco of the Middle East".

On the plus side there's a decent and fairly "cheap" golf resort nearby at Al Hamra.

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6959438)

Ajmaninos you mean...

W10 Nov 10th 2008 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6959378)

Ever since Kabul went tits up, its the obvious choice

Confucius Nov 10th 2008 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 6959563)
Ever since Kabul went tits up, its the obvious choice

I want to see Peshawar...Taxi drivers say it a second Rome...More of a home away from Rome...