Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can we bring our cats to Dubai?

Can we bring our cats to Dubai?

Old Dec 15th 2004, 7:58 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we bring our cats to Dubai?

Hi guys - I'm new here, so be gentle!

I currently live and work in London but I've been offered a job in Dubai. I have a few friends out there and they all love it, and my prospective new employer is paying for my wife and I to go for a "look-see" visit early in January to see if we like the place.

Trivial though it may seem in the grand scheme of things, one of our major concerns is our cats. We have two of them, we can't bear the thought of having to give them away, and so we'd like to bring them with us should we decide to make the move.

Are we likely to have problems finding rented accommodation that will allow us to keep the cats, or is the Dubai rental market fairly relaxed about pets?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we bring our cats to Dubai?

Welcome to the site...
well you tried looking through the FAQ's there's a range of accomodation there, should be able to find more info...but just a thought, very different climate, so the pets might not like it at all and might suffer, well especially if there outdoor cats.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:27 am
Just Joined

expat14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Some friends of our ours came over from Canada, they bought there cat & dog, and the climate did not seem to affect them adversely. The dog was actually a Canadian Husky, which you would have expected to struggle with the heat & humidity, though it adjusted fine.

I dont think i have heard of anyone having problems with any landlords not allowing them to take accomodation because they have pets.

Good Luck
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:33 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR

I currently live and work in London but I've been offered a job in Dubai. I have a few friends out there and they all love it, and my prospective new employer is paying for my wife and I to go for a "look-see" visit early in January to see if we like the place.

Trivial though it may seem in the grand scheme of things, one of our major concerns is our cats. We have two of them, we can't bear the thought of having to give them away, and so we'd like to bring them with us should we decide to make the move.

Are we likely to have problems finding rented accommodation that will allow us to keep the cats, or is the Dubai rental market fairly relaxed about pets?
Hi, alot of ppl bring their cats and/or dogs out here, though cats are generally easier! You will find however that most apartments wont allow pets but I,m sure there are a few that may but most villas allow pets (Ours does)

How old are your cats? I thought of bringing mine out here but at 13 years old I felt that it would be to much for him.

Make sure that your cats have all their up to date vaccines, ( my personal thought) there nare plenty of veterinary clinics here.

Good Luck
Heart
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:42 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarethR

Hello GarethR. Welcome to the forum. We are all very sane, well, most of the time anyway!

Bringing pets into the U.A.E shudnt be a problem at all. Like Mickey sed, having pets in villas is fine, but most of the new apartment blocks wont allow pets in the flat. Climate wise, I am assuming that ur cats, like most other cats, spend their time asleep inside the house, so errrrrrrrr...... they will b very happy in their new air-conditioned environments.

If u have any other q's, just ask and we will be happy to help u out.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:12 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Hello GarethR. Welcome to the forum. We are all very sane, well, most of the time anyway!

Bringing pets into the U.A.E shudnt be a problem at all. Like Mickey sed, having pets in villas is fine, but most of the new apartment blocks wont allow pets in the flat. Climate wise, I am assuming that ur cats, like most other cats, spend their time asleep inside the house, so errrrrrrrr...... they will b very happy in their new air-conditioned environments.

If u have any other q's, just ask and we will be happy to help u out.
I believe i read somewhere, possibly Dubai explorer, that if a cat does not have a collar/tag and is found, they are rounded up and put to sleep.....will check for u.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:20 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Couresty of Zappy Explorer.

Pets may be bought into the UAE without quarentine.
Dogs and cats must be vaccinated annually and wear the municipality ID disc at all times.

Pets without ID tags are treated as starys and destroyed.
Where applicable, a rabies vaccination will need to be performed at least 30 days prior to travel.

Importing assistance:
Dubai kennels and cattery (285 1646)
They can obtain an import permit, customs clearance, and collection from the airport.

Regards
JD (Pussy fancier)
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:33 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Couresty of Zappy Explorer.

Pets may be bought into the UAE without quarentine.
Dogs and cats must be vaccinated annually and wear the municipality ID disc at all times.

Where applicable, a rabies vaccination will need to be performed at least 30 days prior to travel.

Importing assistance:
Dubai kennels and cattery (285 1646)
They can obtain an import permit, customs clearance, and collection from the airport.

Regards
JD (Pussy fancier)
Now we all know wot u fancy..... there is no need to over share! lol

As for the cats being collected and destroyed........ hmmmmmmm......... try telling that to the cat families that live in and around every garbage skip in Dubai. I think that at last count the average cat family had 4.7 members.... and there are......errrrrrrrrrrr............ 25, 000 garbage skips in Dubai....... so u do the Math.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 9:07 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

As for the cats being collected and destroyed........ hmmmmmmm......... try telling that to the cat families that live in and around every garbage skip in Dubai. I think that at last count the average cat family had 4.7 members.... and there are......errrrrrrrrrrr............ 25, 000 garbage skips in Dubai....... so u do the Math.
Face what they do with stray cat in Dubai? We have tons of stray cat in Doha too... Without cat, i think we will have rat problem...
Old Dec 16th 2004, 9:43 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers]Couresty of Zappy Explorer.

Anybody tried to get a municipality ID disc recently, I tried last month and was told there was a 4 month backlog - but there again whats new!!!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Aren't you a pussy fancier??
Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:34 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by novita77
Face what they do with stray cat in Dubai? We have tons of stray cat in Doha too... Without cat, i think we will have rat problem...
They just 'fix' them all if they are caught. Hardly any are put to sleep. Dubai has more cats than pigeons, I think! lol
Old Dec 18th 2004, 9:35 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Aren't you a pussy fancier??
cheeky!