Can my wife work

Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

TheBigLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my wife work

Today I signed a contract to work in Abu Dhabi and will be coming over mid April. Although we can probably get by without my wife having to work she would still like to be able to earn money so that she isn't entirely dependant on me. She will be on my visa when she gets over 6 months from now.

Having read a number of threads the impression I get is that she can, but I am hoping to find out what the process is and what the pitfalls may be.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my wife work

Originally Posted by TheBigLad
Today I signed a contract to work in Abu Dhabi and will be coming over mid April. Although we can probably get by without my wife having to work she would still like to be able to earn money so that she isn't entirely dependant on me. She will be on my visa when she gets over 6 months from now.

Having read a number of threads the impression I get is that she can, but I am hoping to find out what the process is and what the pitfalls may be.

Many thanks.
Yes she can , no problems , as long as she is sponsored by you or she can be individually sponsored by a separate firm.

My wife is separately sponsored because there were more benefits with her position
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Yes she can , no problems , as long as she is sponsored by you or she can be individually sponsored by a separate firm.

My wife is separately sponsored because there were more benefits with her position
Thanks. Did she have to do anything funny like return to the UK while the Visa was being processed or was at all fairly straight forward?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:38 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked that several times but have stopped now.... cause she usually slaps me when I ask.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Did she have to do anything funny like return to the UK while the Visa was being processed or was at all fairly straight forward?
she shouldn't have to do anything...if she carries on under your sponsorship, you just need to sign a no objection letter and she will get a labour card but stays on your visa...

MM, xx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:40 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Once she is here, she can stay (for 30 days & then do visa runs if necessary) whilst her visa is being processed. If you have a decent PRO it is all very straightforward.

-
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

why is it you always get usernames like Big Lad or Littly Johnny but never Medium Trevor?

Are these boards mainly frequented by those at either end of the size spectrum?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saudiflares
why is it you always get usernames like Big Lad or Littly Johnny but never Medium Trevor?

Are these boards mainly frequented by those at either end of the size spectrum?
Who wants to be average?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Co Durham: I noticed in another section you work in construction and you were talking about public holidays. I too will be working for Abu Dhabi based construction firm, it slightly concerned me that all the public holidays seem to get worked. I also agree with your sentiments on working hard, but I have a family and I obviously would like to get as much time with them as possible. Is it worth getting a clause put in my contract (I still haven't sent the Hard Copy) to say that days off will be given in lieu, or would you say it's not worth it?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Co Durham: I noticed in another section you work in construction and you were talking about public holidays. I too will be working for Abu Dhabi based construction firm, it slightly concerned me that all the public holidays seem to get worked. I also agree with your sentiments on working hard, but I have a family and I obviously would like to get as much time with them as possible. Is it worth getting a clause put in my contract (I still haven't sent the Hard Copy) to say that days off will be given in lieu, or would you say it's not worth it?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Patsy, I assume this is nieve!! I will be working in a senior HR capacity so maybe I can influence this!?!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Once she is here, she can stay (for 30 days & then do visa runs if necessary) whilst her visa is being processed. If you have a decent PRO it is all very straightforward.

-
Thanks Meow. What's a PRO?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Patsy, I assume this is nieve!! I will be working in a senior HR capacity so maybe I can influence this!?!
Im just finishing a project in Dubai airport , it's taken over 3 years and i haven't had 1 public holiday or xmas day or new years day off and 6-7day weeks.
No days off in leiu either.

In my opinion if you come here as a senior western expat in this industry be prepared for long hours, long weeks and long years.Make sure your deal and your package are right before you start.

Obviously it all depends on what company and so on.Whoever you work for here you will work very very hard.
You get more time off in the nick mate.....!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Well you could always try and change the rules

I hope you have researched the average working day for senior positions..they don't tend to be 9 to 5 darling. Some people work 7 days a week if needed.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Is it worth getting a clause put in my contract (I still haven't sent the Hard Copy) to say that days off will be given in lieu, or would you say it's not worth it?
Tiger - there is a reason they are paying you more than an Indian/GCC Arab - they want a pound of flesh from you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.