British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   can my girlfriend ann daughter live with me in dubai as we are not married????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/can-my-girlfriend-ann-daughter-live-me-dubai-we-not-married-570455/)

mikey1000 Oct 31st 2008 5:43 pm

can my girlfriend ann daughter live with me in dubai as we are not married?????

hi folks

i have been offered a job in dubai, will it be a problem living in dubai with my girlfriend and daughter in dubai???? is it really illegal??

busybee2 Oct 31st 2008 5:47 pm

Re: can my girlfriend ann daughter live with me in dubai as we are not married?????

yes it really is illegal, but a lot of folks do it, but you may have a problem with the daughter as if she needs to go to school, you would need to sponsor her etc and get a residence visa as part of the documentation for school, and in order to sponsor you would need to be married, but sometimes you can get around it with certain employers.

lobby lou Oct 31st 2008 5:52 pm

Re: can my girlfriend ann daughter live with me in dubai as we are not married?????

yes its illegal ,but u could have a sharia wedding here which is legal here ...but no where else if its not registared.....and no u dont have to be muslim .....

mikey1000 Oct 31st 2008 6:10 pm

thanks for the help guys, my daughter is only 5 months old so will not require schooling, i plan to stay there for 2-3 years max, so we would return to england when she is due to start school, are you serious about sharia wedding can u really do that???????

Lyds Oct 31st 2008 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6929042)
yes its illegal ,but u could have a sharia wedding here which is legal here ...but no where else if its not registared.....and no u dont have to be muslim .....

you guessed it... in order to sponsor them, you would need to be married. They love seeing certificates and marriage and birth certicates in particular.

Officially, it is illegal for you to live with them too and there are stories of the authorities cracking down on cohabitation, which is obviously bad for a lot of people.

Basically, if you're serious about moving to Dubai, then it may be worth considering popping down to the registry office just to get the bit of paper. It's stupid and for all the wrong reasons, I know, but...

Also, I don't know how not being married would affect things like your medical insurance, etc. You probably wouldn't be able to set up a joint account here and there are places (like Du - the telecoms peeps) who won't let a wife act on behalf of her husband without written permission... but that's another story!

:-D

Cry haddock Oct 31st 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6929042)

By sharia (sic) I presume you mean an Islamic wedding. If you are not a muslim you cannot get married anywhere in the UAE except a christian/other religious church - no court, no mosque and no municipality office can marry you. In extreme circumstances your embassy may assist but only in extremis. There is no such thing as a civil ceremony. You can wed in the church and not register the marriage with your embassy - the legalities of this I will not comment on.
CH

mrskpd Nov 1st 2008 7:53 am

If you have a child the easiest thing to do is get married before you come. If you don't, yes you can live together but it is illegal, and further as an unmarried couple you would not be able to extend any of your benefits to your partner and child. In the long run, the easiest route is to be legally married

Roadking Nov 1st 2008 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mrskpd (Post 6930397)
If you have a child the easiest thing to do is get married before you come. If you don't, yes you can live together but it is illegal, and further as an unmarried couple you would not be able to extend any of your benefits to your partner and child. In the long run, the easiest route is to be legally married

Please read the above carefully: easiest does not mean cheapest, especially if you ever decide to un-marry!:(

lobby lou Nov 1st 2008 12:09 pm

sorry to disagree CH ....but i got married in the sharia court in abu dhabi niether i or my DH are muslim ...and we have 3 step children ...and all is legal and totally excepted here ...if u are interested let me know i will give u a number for the muslim guy who arranged it for us xxx

Grace O Malley Nov 1st 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6930712)
sorry to disagree CH ....but i got married in the sharia court in abu dhabi niether i or my DH are muslim ...and we have 3 step children ...and all is legal and totally excepted here ...if u are interested let me know i will give u a number for the muslim guy who arranged it for us xxx

How long ago as recently i had a friend who tried every thing to do the sharia marriage and couldnt do it

lobby lou Nov 1st 2008 12:59 pm

we married 4 years ago ...but the chap who arranged it for us has recently arranged this on behalf of others...think its a case of who u know xxx

Grace O Malley Nov 1st 2008 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6930777)
we married 4 years ago ...but the chap who arranged it for us has recently arranged this on behalf of others...think its a case of who u know xxx

I believe its not poss now, my friend tried to do it in May, hubby well in with the in crowd and they couldn't do it, ended up doing it at a church

busybee2 Nov 1st 2008 2:06 pm

anna remember we had this conversation a little while ago and i said that there was somebody on the other boards that had done it, so again it does happen but with a lot of things here, different things for different people on different days with a different moon out etc.

lobby lou Nov 1st 2008 2:11 pm

welli gave his number to somebody who did it in august and he is arranging one at present for somebody who is going to be working with me and no probs so far ....maybe ure friend was just unlucky ...i know both of these hit walls b4 mo took over xxxx

busybee2 Nov 1st 2008 5:01 pm

heard of somebody else here who just got married too.