British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Can I buy an ISA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/can-i-buy-isa-526191/)

ssuh Apr 2nd 2008 4:14 am

Can I buy an ISA?

Are there any restrictions on me buying an ISA in the UK while living here:confused:

Meow Apr 2nd 2008 5:37 am

Re: Can I buy an ISA?

Yes. Non-residents may not invest in ISAs (whether cash or equity). Existing plans may be maintained.

ssuh Apr 2nd 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6145873)
Yes. Non-residents may not invest in ISAs (whether cash or equity). Existing plans may be maintained.

Thanks Meow - very clear.

As I have only arrived here in the past 3 months - with the significant majority of my 2007-08 tax year spent in the UK is there one last chance to take advantage or is this still a no-no?

ScotsExpat Apr 2nd 2008 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6145873)

Meow, I have a quick (hopefully) question for you re: Non-Residency...

Although I have worked outside the UK for the last 7 years, I have always ben paid out of our UK payroll dept. Consequently, I have always just paid my Income Tax and then self-assessed every year and claimed under the sub-90 day rule....

Am I correct in saying that I am technically classified as resident and therefore able to take advantage of all that means with regards ISA's etc???

Norm_uk Apr 2nd 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ssuh (Post 6145780)
Are there any restrictions on me buying an ISA in the UK while living here:confused:

The question is why would you want one while living and working here? You can get very attractive offshore bonds and investments, some with capital protection and all tax free while you're here :)

N.

Meow Apr 2nd 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ssuh (Post 6145999)
Thanks Meow - very clear.

As I have only arrived here in the past 3 months - with the significant majority of my 2007-08 tax year spent in the UK is there one last chance to take advantage or is this still a no-no?

In that case you can still get one, but you'd have to be quick. Are you talking a cash ISA? If so, I wouldn't bother personally as you can get gross interest on deposit accounts as a non-resident.

Norm - there is an advantage of unit trusts over bond structures though. Lower charges & more flexibility, especially if bought through a platform.

Meow Apr 2nd 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6146006)
Meow, I have a quick (hopefully) question for you re: Non-Residency...

Although I have worked outside the UK for the last 7 years, I have always ben paid out of our UK payroll dept. Consequently, I have always just paid my Income Tax and then self-assessed every year and claimed under the sub-90 day rule....

Am I correct in saying that I am technically classified as resident and therefore able to take advantage of all that means with regards ISA's etc???

What does HMRC class you as for tax purposes though?