Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

can csa take my uae income

can csa take my uae income

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

smokey65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can csa take my uae income

Before anyone thinks i am a runaway dont want to know dad stop there.
I have paid my way with my children and see them all the time but was stung with an unexpected bill into the ks. i am paying this off but can the csa get any of this money from my uae wages when i relocate in the near future.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:58 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can csa take my uae income

I have had to check this for someone recently and my understanding is that a
maintenance assesment can only be made on any income from a UK employer or that is liable to tax within the UK.

If you become UK non-resident for tax purposes under HMRC rules (and bear in mind that not quite as simple as moving abroad and not being liable immediately) any income from a foreign employer that is not liable to UK tax cannot be used to make maintenance assesments.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:52 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

UAE do not have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK with regards to CSA. So if you are paid out of the UAE, you are safe. Trust me from 1st hand experience.

https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance...t-lives-abroad
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

Speaking from experience....
The csa in the UK can only take money off you if you have a financial link to the UK in the way of a house,car,bank accounts etc. if I was you I would call them and state you are leaving the country or left and let them know you will be paying your way( if you are) and it will be by bank transfer each month so that you have evidence you have paid.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:52 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
Speaking from experience....
The csa in the UK can only take money off you if you have a financial link to the UK in the way of a house,car,bank accounts etc. if I was you I would call them and state you are leaving the country or left and let them know you will be paying your way( if you are) and it will be by bank transfer each month so that you have evidence you have paid.
I don't agree with you. I have 2 houses in the UK, a few bank accounts but my salary is paid offshore and doesn't come from the UK, or a country with a reciprical arrangement with the UK. I don't believe the CSA can get money from any back account I have in the UK. Or indeed link it in any way to the mortgages I have for my 2 properties. They can only arrest your wages at source and that requires the company to be registered in the UK.

If I am wrong and the CSA can call up the RBOS (for example) and ask how much money does commander have in his accounts? And the RBS will tell them and authorise a removal of funds, then I need to know about it. I'm 100pc sure that is not the case though. All the CSA can do is contact your employer and arrange for a salary arrest.

Agree with your last paragraph though. I send funds directly to my ex via SO and clearly mark what the money is for.

Interesting topic though and I'd love to hear of anyone elses opinion
Old Mar 29th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

We had to deal with the csa in November 2012 and this is what we were told on leaving the UK.

Does he own a home in the UK?
Does he have salary paid into the UK?
Is he employed by a UK company?

I agree very good thread and would be interested in others too so we keep on top of the game.

Roll on when the kids are 18
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
We had to deal with the csa in November 2012 and this is what we were told on leaving the UK.

Does he own a home in the UK?
Does he have salary paid into the UK?
Is he employed by a UK company?

I agree very good thread and would be interested in others too so we keep on top of the game.

Roll on when the kids are 18
It all depends on which system you're on. The old system used to link in wages, partners wages, property and other assets. The new system is just your wages (father/mother). They can't take anything if you work for a foreign company, and your getting paid in a currency that isn't sterling. Not sure why the sterling thing matters but it does.

If they think you should have been paying but didn't, on your return they can take up to 40% of your net earnings until the balance is repaid. Always wise to clearly state what transfers are for... I was bitten by that one, hence how i know about the 40%
Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

This thread inpuref me to do a bit of research....

If you already owe money to the CSA due to non payments, then any assets you own are fair game. If however you are not in arrears and are up to date, they can't take your salary or anything else.

I'm due to move to Abu Dhabi soon, I know this is going to create a shit storm with my ex.....
Old Mar 30th 2013, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have assets in the UK they can come and get you. I cannot see a problem with that.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 6:42 am
banned

Originally Posted by scot47
If you have assets in the UK they can come and get you. I cannot see a problem with that.
I actually have a massive problem with that. Why should "they"..

And I don't particularly like your phrase "get you"..

The system over the years has ruined lives and destroyed relationships for fathers estranged from their kids.

The CSA got themselves involved with me years ago and it caused nothing but problems, for the mother as well as me. They are parasites..

I'm not defending fathers who don't pay for the support of their kids, however there are plenty who do and have been ruined by the CSA.

Your a teacher aren't you? I can tell.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Those three letters haunt me still.

Dad paid a ****ing fortune until I was 16. Then stopped and just spent the money on me directly.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

What I hated the most was the fact that not one penny went to my ex or daughter for a long time. The CSA kept it as she was on benefits......that is legal apparently. That is why for me, they will always be robbing bastards.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by expathopeful
What I hated the most was the fact that not one penny went to my ex or daughter for a long time. The CSA kept it as she was on benefits......that is legal apparently. That is why for me, they will always be robbing bastards.
Whole thing is just a shambles.

Some sort of service / regulator needs to be there to ensure things get sorted and monies paid, but surely something else must be more effective.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Commander I agree with everything you have said.

My husband pays so much money each month.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Whole thing is just a shambles.

Some sort of service / regulator needs to be there to ensure things get sorted and monies paid, but surely something else must be more effective.
That's pretty much the case with every regulator. They are there to deal with the bad apples who ruin things for those who have every intention of doing the right thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.