British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   can anyone put my mind at ease (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/can-anyone-put-my-mind-ease-619977/)

girlathome Jul 14th 2009 12:03 am

can anyone put my mind at ease

Hi all, have searched your site for info but am worried i'm being biased to my point of view. Can anyone take the time to put my mind at rest please? My partner has decided to live out his dream of travel by accepting a teaching position in Sharjar. He is an aussie bloke of 32 and has been offered a job relatively quickly (within 24hrs of applying) at an international school. The salary is what he gets here (Australia) after tax which seems quite low. He has accomodation in a 1 br appartment at their cost. His idea is to be able to pay off his mortgage quicker by renting his house out here and hopefully pay more out of his wage. Everything i read about Sharjar seems not to be anything like his lifestyle and his research has been very limited. He drinks most days, loves watching sport (rugby league and cricket),He loves a gamble, he is a loveable (to me) larrikin but can get quit stabby quite quickly. He is very funny and loves a laugh but in what would seem an innapropriate way in regards to what i've read is tolerated there. He seems to think he will be able to drink when he wants and that Sharjar is not as strict as everyone says. (No he hasn't been overseas before). Can anyone shed some light as i'm quite nervous he'll end up in Jail for something silly. Also he thinks he'll be able to send me a ticket to visit him at Christmas and that i'll be able to stay with him in his appartment this is not my understanding of what's acceptable in Sharjar as i've heard the rules of men and women together are quite strict. Can someone please allay my fears? Am i being to concerned?

BethPageBlack Jul 14th 2009 12:36 am

Re: can anyone put my mind at ease

Originally Posted by girlathome (Post 7749718)
Hi all, have searched your site for info but am worried i'm being biased to my point of view. Can anyone take the time to put my mind at rest please? My partner has decided to live out his dream of travel by accepting a teaching position in Sharjar. He is an aussie bloke of 32 and has been offered a job relatively quickly (within 24hrs of applying) at an international school. The salary is what he gets here (Australia) after tax which seems quite low. He has accomodation in a 1 br appartment at their cost. His idea is to be able to pay off his mortgage quicker by renting his house out here and hopefully pay more out of his wage. Everything i read about Sharjar seems not to be anything like his lifestyle and his research has been very limited. He drinks most days, loves watching sport (rugby league and cricket),He loves a gamble, he is a loveable (to me) larrikin but can get quit stabby quite quickly. He is very funny and loves a laugh but in what would seem an innapropriate way in regards to what i've read is tolerated there. He seems to think he will be able to drink when he wants and that Sharjar is not as strict as everyone says. (No he hasn't been overseas before). Can anyone shed some light as i'm quite nervous he'll end up in Jail for something silly. Also he thinks he'll be able to send me a ticket to visit him at Christmas and that i'll be able to stay with him in his appartment this is not my understanding of what's acceptable in Sharjar as i've heard the rules of men and women together are quite strict. Can someone please allay my fears? Am i being to concerned?

From Wikipedia

Sharjah is the only Emirate in which the sale, possession and consumption of alcohol is banned. It also maintains the strictest decency laws in the UAE, introduced in 2001, with a conservative dress code required for both men and women. Mixing between unmarried men and women is illegal: "Even a man and a woman who are in a legally acceptable relationship should not, according to the booklet, be alone in public places, or in suspicious times or circumstances." Gambling offenses are punishable by death and open displays of emotion are forbidden.

girlathome Jul 14th 2009 12:46 am

Thank you for your reply i realy appreciate it. Hope all is well and good for you. I will try and pass this info on and hope it is heard with open ears,:blink:

Inselaffen Jul 14th 2009 12:55 am

He won't be able to drink in Sharjah (unless he goes tho Sharjah Wanderers spots club where I believe it is still allowed). He will however be able to get to Ajman or Dubai relatively easily to drink there. he just has to be careful not to wander around the streets of sharjah pissed-up when he gets back.

You should be ok to stay in his flat as long as you are discreet.

Sharjah is more strict so he'll have to behave a bit more than if he was living in Dubai

BethPageBlack Jul 14th 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by girlathome (Post 7749792)
Thank you for your reply i realy appreciate it. Hope all is well and good for you. I will try and pass this info on and hope it is heard with open ears,:blink:

It does'nt sound like a perfect fit for him. Don't let him go sweety

girlathome Jul 14th 2009 2:05 am

that has been my feeling from the start, the world is a big place and this does seem like setting himself up to fail. Tahnks again.

BethPageBlack Jul 14th 2009 2:12 am

Originally Posted by girlathome (Post 7749954)
that has been my feeling from the start, the world is a big place and this does seem like setting himself up to fail. Tahnks again.

If he would have put a big world map on the wall and threw a dart at it he could'nt have picked a worse destination.

Inselaffen Jul 14th 2009 2:31 am

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack (Post 7749966)
If he would have put a big world map on the wall and threw a dart at it he could'nt have picked a worse destination.

apart from Somalia, Iraq etc etc etc

klaus3974 Jul 14th 2009 2:32 am

He is going to get SO bored in Sharjah. Not a good match.

BethPageBlack Jul 14th 2009 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7750002)
apart from Somalia, Iraq

North Korea maybe

girlathome Jul 14th 2009 3:06 am

If only i could show him this and he'd find it as funny as i do. Maybe i should just let him experience it himself and remain at Brisbane airport for his imminent return.Ha Ha

Spugsy Jul 14th 2009 5:49 am

Originally Posted by girlathome (Post 7749718)

I'd tell him to try for a job in Dubai pet, Sharjah is a horrible, boring, strict place to live.

admon Jul 14th 2009 6:03 am

If he enjoys the rugby lark, the one salvation would be Sharjah Wanderers.

He could get involved with the club there, which provides a nightly bar propping venue, or alternatively, spend his Fridays down the Rugby facility in Dubai off Al Ain Rd, (only a 15-20 minute drive on a Friday) where he will find lots of kindred spirits.

You can get alcohol licences in Sharjah to drink at home as well, so its not a total white out.

But yep, Dubai would give him lots more opportunities for the weekend/nights adventures and probably a better salary too, as the two main Sharjah schools aren't renowned for their staff retention.

Roadking Jul 14th 2009 6:05 am

Ever thought that maybe you going behind his back to challenge his decisions on life is one of the reasons he wants to go to buck**** nowhere in the first place? :p

MataHari Jul 14th 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by girlathome (Post 7750053)
If only i could show him this and he'd find it as funny as i do. Maybe i should just let him experience it himself and remain at Brisbane airport for his imminent return.Ha Ha

then show him...looks like he won't listen you to but he might listen to people that actually live here and know what it's like...