Reload this Page >

Camping in Saudi and Bahrain

Camping in Saudi and Bahrain

Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

trojanhorse is on a distinguished road
Question Camping in Saudi and Bahrain

Hi all
Well after a slow start I now have Iqama, Multiple visa, driving licence and finally a car! So now I am off to explore big time. What I wondered is where are good places in go and camp out. I know in Bahrain there are organised camp grounds during the winter but I had in mind a quiet beach or desert location. I want to basically wild camp with a tent and camp fire and cause no one any trouble. Where can you recommend? Do you have any tips? and does anyone know of any interesting waddi locations? I use to camp in Oman all the time about 10 years ago, and there you could camp anywhere as long as you where not to close to a village. Nobody cared. Is it different in Saudi and Bahrain?

Regards

Mick
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Camping in Saudi and Bahrain

In Saudi you will probably need a letter of permission from the Civil Defence, completed Application Form, camping permit and six passport photos...or you can just drive into the desert and hope for the best.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
In Saudi you will probably need a letter of permission from the Civil Defence, completed Application Form, camping permit and six passport photos...or you can just drive into the desert and hope for the best.
you have forgotten the NOC from the employer.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

arthurdaily is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and you won't be able to go for 3 months until the paperwork is sorted !!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:16 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

wouldnt fancy it is saudi, too many bedouin wandering about in the desert at night. you never know who or what is lurking about.

if you do make sure you at least let someone know or are in mobile phone range.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trojanhorse
Hi all
Well after a slow start I now have Iqama, Multiple visa, driving licence and finally a car! So now I am off to explore big time. What I wondered is where are good places in go and camp out. I know in Bahrain there are organised camp grounds during the winter but I had in mind a quiet beach or desert location. I want to basically wild camp with a tent and camp fire and cause no one any trouble. Where can you recommend? Do you have any tips? and does anyone know of any interesting waddi locations? I use to camp in Oman all the time about 10 years ago, and there you could camp anywhere as long as you where not to close to a village. Nobody cared. Is it different in Saudi and Bahrain?

Regards

Mick
Regarding Jeddah.

There are semi-developed/ becoming wild beaches to the south of Jeddah where you could look to camp if you are down that way. To the north of Jeddah the beach/shoreline has largely been annexed by resorts and private villas unfortunately.

I am in the process of exploring the wadi systems in the mountains immediately to the east of Jeddah, so can't comment fully yet on these, but there is potential.

There are check-points on the routes into and out of Jeddah - only passed these during daylight hours, no problem. However, at night it may be different, so once you set up in the evening best to stay until the following day.

Saudi remains true to its bedu past, as does Oman, so as long as you are not on obviously private land (fenced off/building underway) or designated antiquity site, forget the paperwork.

The locals understand the need to get away from the city and camp out.