Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Camping / Outdoors around Al-Ain

Camping / Outdoors around Al-Ain

Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

atki0061 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camping / Outdoors around Al-Ain

Does anyone have advice on how much camping, hiking, outdoor photography can be done by someone who is (1) living in Al-Ain, (2) limited to a 2-wheel drive car?

What are some good locations to find or roads to take? I've heard that you used to just be able to drive out of town into the desert or the mountains, but are there now restrictions on this because of the Omani border or fences going up?

Also, are there any social groups that organize outings in four-wheel drives?

My wife and I spent the last five months living in Ruwais/Ghayathi, and we are now thrilled to be in a place with more scenery and civilization. We're just looking for as many opportunities to get outside and enjoy our weekends as possible.

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:30 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camping / Outdoors around Al-Ain

Hi, welcome to the forum...
There are a few people on here living in your area so you'll hopefully get your answers later...
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Shwaib is the only plcae i've been camping near Al Ain and it's a graet place to camp, the problem is that you would need a 4x4 to get into the desert.

Mike
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atki0061 View Post
Does anyone have advice on how much camping, hiking, outdoor photography can be done by someone who is (1) living in Al-Ain, (2) limited to a 2-wheel drive car?

What are some good locations to find or roads to take? I've heard that you used to just be able to drive out of town into the desert or the mountains, but are there now restrictions on this because of the Omani border or fences going up?

Also, are there any social groups that organize outings in four-wheel drives?

My wife and I spent the last five months living in Ruwais/Ghayathi, and we are now thrilled to be in a place with more scenery and civilization. We're just looking for as many opportunities to get outside and enjoy our weekends as possible.

Thanks for the help!
The Al-Ain Natural History group organizes some expeditions & field trips. I went on one of their trips to a bat cave somewhere near Al Ain (can't remember where, it was a bit of a mystery tour) - it was very enjoyable..

I'm not sure what's going on with the Omani border posts - they seem to be building something on the Madam - Al-Ain road but it wasn't manned the last time i drove through.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

there is a good book you can buy with all the off road routes but they can't be done with a 2 wheel drive