British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Camo in KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/camo-ksa-934462/)

Trailing_Hubby Aug 21st 2020 1:04 pm

Camo in KSA

Does anyone know what is acceptable and what is not? I read that camouflage clothing is banned although the references seem to be talking about military clothing, yet on the Next.sa website there are various camo shirts, jackets, shorts etc that you can buy.

I have a nice camo jacket. I’m not fussed if I can’t wear it in KSA, but would like to take it when we travel. Will it be a problem if I have it at the airport or in a bag?

Cheers.

scot47 Aug 21st 2020 3:01 pm

Re: Camo in KSA

Why take the risk of upsetting someone in authority ? "Go with the flow"

nonthaburi Aug 21st 2020 7:59 pm

I'm working for the Saudi military and living on the base. There are a few serving US military guys on base and around 10 serving Pakistani military guys. They are not allowed to wear uniform off base for their own safety . Obviously there's a big difference between full uniform and camo t-shirt with jeans. But at the same time , you never know. It's not the police you should be worried about. But anyway , if you're not in small town KSA this is probably irrelevant.

Pulaski Aug 21st 2020 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 12899944)
.... but would like to take it when we travel. Will it be a problem if I have it at the airport or in a bag? ....

Where will you be travelling? ..... It's not just KSA, there are a number of countries where the wearing of camo-pattern clothing is prohibited, and in many cases, wearing camo would be a bad idea anyway as, as Nonthaburi noted, flagging yourself as "possibly military" is just a bad idea.

Trailing_Hubby Aug 21st 2020 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12900178)
I'm working for the Saudi military and living on the base. There are a few serving US military guys on base and around 10 serving Pakistani military guys. They are not allowed to wear uniform off base for their own safety . Obviously there's a big difference between full uniform and camo t-shirt with jeans. But at the same time , you never know. It's not the police you should be worried about. But anyway , if you're not in small town KSA this is probably irrelevant.

Yeah, I wouldn’t wear it at all. Just want to have it for when we go somewhere colder.

scot47 Aug 22nd 2020 8:07 am

A few years back some of the "Bearded Ones" in Saudi developed the practice of spotting lone Westerners out shopping, following them home and dispatching them to the Hereafter. Better not to stand out ! And paradoxically wearing camouflage makes you stand out !

Trailing_Hubby Aug 22nd 2020 8:34 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12900402)
A few years back some of the "Bearded Ones" in Saudi developed the practice of spotting lone Westerners out shopping, following them home and dispatching them to the Hereafter. Better not to stand out ! And paradoxically wearing camouflage makes you stand out !

I’m 6ft 7 so stand out pretty much everywhere unfortunately.

Might as well leave it in the U.K. then.

Trailing_Hubby Aug 22nd 2020 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12900214)
Where will you be travelling? ..... It's not just KSA, there are a number of countries where the wearing of camo-pattern clothing is prohibited, and in many cases, wearing camo would be a bad idea anyway as, as Nonthaburi noted, flagging yourself as "possibly military" is just a bad idea.

Of course. It’s just the fact that you can buy camo pattern stuff in the malls that is confusing.