British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Calling any British Asian expats moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/calling-any-british-asian-expats-moving-dubai-834043/)

Poppies May 16th 2014 6:23 am

Calling any British Asian expats moving to Dubai

Hi all :regular_smile:

I'm relocating to Dubai in Summer 2014 and wanted to network and meet any likeminded professionals who are also relocating and looking forward to the big move to Dubai ...please get in touch ......Cheers

pomomp May 18th 2014 5:41 pm

Re: Calling any British Asian expats moving to Dubai

Hey there, my wife and I are moving over to the UAE in August, not sure if its Dubai or closer to Abu Dhabi yet,

Keep in touch!

Poppies May 18th 2014 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by pomomp (Post 11265461)
Hey there, my wife and I are moving over to the UAE in August, not sure if its Dubai or closer to Abu Dhabi yet,

Keep in touch!

Hi pomomp!
Congratulations!!!! Let us know when u know if its Dubai or AD... either way it will be great to keep in touch.....Im certainly not sad about leaving the UK so can't wait!!!!!

pomomp May 18th 2014 5:45 pm

You too!

I'm nervous about leaving everything behind tbh. and anxious about getting a house/flat sorted as well as a nice car...

So are you going alone? What job did you go for?

Poppies May 18th 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by pomomp (Post 11265468)
You too!

I'm nervous about leaving everything behind tbh. and anxious about getting a house/flat sorted as well as a nice car...

So are you going alone? What job did you go for?

Hi there! Is this ur first time in the Emirates? .. U and ur wife will really love it... settling in wont take long and u will make lots of friends ....if it is ur first time,I empathise with ur nervousness.. I'm lucky that I lived in Dubs before so I'm thrilled Im going back!

I'm in Education so am moving over due to my new teaching position....in fact Im out there next week- need to meet my new school and colleagues so really looking forward to it..how about you guys...?....!!

Hope u get ur accommodation sorted as I know it can be really a worry... hopefully if your company is offering a relocation package, they will support u in this.....so glad that someone finally responded to my thread !!!!:)

pomomp May 18th 2014 5:56 pm

You're a teacher? Snap! I'm moving over for a teaching job with IAT.

It's our first time and we have very few contacts out there! I've been over on holiday a few times. Yeah just need to figure out how to go about finding a place and getting a loan arranged. I get a monthly allowance so it seems I'm on my own for the actual payment of the property.

If you have any general tips or advice, that would be awesome!

Poppies May 18th 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by pomomp (Post 11265481)
You're a teacher? Snap! I'm moving over for a teaching job with IAT.

It's our first time and we have very few contacts out there! I've been over on holiday a few times. Yeah just need to figure out how to go about finding a place and getting a loan arranged. I get a monthly allowance so it seems I'm on my own for the actual payment of the property.

If you have any general tips or advice, that would be awesome!

Ohhh thats briliant!!!! IAT are based in Al Ain and AD...I also used to live in Al Ain which is really lovely....small world eh??!!!....I'm in an International school but in Dubai....yes, I recall that renting requires a large majority of the rent paid up in advance but there's so many threads on renting - take time and go through them, inshallah ull find out a lot....doesnt IAT support new teachers in finding a accommodation? ....I would have thought they do.. I guess once u know which site u'll be at , there will provide some assistance....I fly out in mid August- How about u guys?...I'm on my own which is why I'm trying to network and find some new friends- I do have friends out there but I always think you can never have enough friends!!!!

pomomp May 18th 2014 6:14 pm

I've been told they will help me find acommodation. However they are very confusing, I was originally told I'd be in Dubai, however I'm being offered a rural allowance which makes me think I'll be in somewhere like Al Ain, but then it was suggested that I would be near Mohammed Bin Zayed city - So I've emailed for a little clarification lol. So how old are ya? What subject are you teaching?

Poppies May 18th 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by pomomp (Post 11265493)
I've been told they will help me find acommodation. However they are very confusing, I was originally told I'd be in Dubai, however I'm being offered a rural allowance which makes me think I'll be in somewhere like Al Ain, but then it was suggested that I would be near Mohammed Bin Zayed city - So I've emailed for a little clarification lol. So how old are ya? What subject are you teaching?

Okk thats good if they will help you find a place to live....do find out exactly where u will be... Al Ain is deffo not rural.. its an oasis city- with beautiful lansdscape ....its not as mad busy like Dubai but a peaceful hub of tranquility!!! I loved living in Al Ain ...MBZC is a bit of a way out from central AD but I hear its a city in itself....I don't think its going to be bad at all .....its the Western region that is totally cut off from any kind of ' civilisation' , beautiful as it is but not much to do at all....

pomomp May 18th 2014 6:30 pm

I hope I'm not in the western region...

Btw what's the deal with setting up? Like buying sofas, beds and stuff. Is it worth it if I cargo things over?

Poppies May 18th 2014 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by pomomp (Post 11265506)
I hope I'm not in the western region...

Btw what's the deal with setting up? Like buying sofas, beds and stuff. Is it worth it if I cargo things over?

I hope so too that u guys arnt in the Western region!!!....Well, does ur package include a relocation package?.. if it does then u should be able to cargo it over but u will need to have a residence permit as regulations have changed with shipping- its what I'm going thru now- before , you could send stuff without a permit to a named address- now , shipping companies want a residence permit to send cargo thru....also, if your package includes accommodation - do u know whether its furnished or unfurnished?...they may furnish the basics like beds and sofas but you need to find out with ur HR department ..otherwise ship items thru and furniture is easy to buy- IKEA is usually popular as its got all what you need for your entire house under one roof and its not bad quality ...

pomomp May 18th 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks for your help! Didn't know about needing a resitence permit! Will look into this. Yes I do get a relocation allowance which I can use towards cargo.

I'll be in touch when I get more details of where I am moving to :)

Poppies May 18th 2014 6:43 pm

Ur most welcome and hope the preparations go well for you both...deffo keep in touch.. we can exchange details and experiences!!!..All the best x

Bahtatboy May 19th 2014 12:48 pm

I feel old.

tala7726 May 19th 2014 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11266450)
I feel old.

Hi folks,
Has anyone of you going/gone through UAE security clearance/CID and if yes how long it took ??
Planning to move this summer awaiting CID check...