British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Buying a watch in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/buying-watch-dubai-839382/)

NorthernLad Jul 24th 2014 5:31 am

Buying a watch in Dubai

Hi, looking for some advice from anyone who has recently bought a watch here.

I'm after a decent watch like Rolex or Cartier.

I've not started looking in the shops yet, but is it better to use one of the main dealers like Ahmed Seddiqi and Sons?

More importantly, will they normally give discount?

mikewot Jul 24th 2014 6:06 am

Re: Buying a watch in Dubai

If you're flying today until (and including) Monday there is 20% off in Dubai Duty Free:
1. Perfumes (excluding Chanel)
2. Cosmetics (excluding Chanel)
3. Liquor
4. Cigarettes Tobacco Cigars
5. Confectionery
6. Delicatessen
7. Watches & Clocks (excluding Rolex, IWC, Panerai & Chopard)
8. Costume Jewellery (excluding Hermes)
9. Sunglasses

TheShed Jul 24th 2014 6:06 am

I generally buy Tag Heuer, but also have one Rolex. In Dubai, I have always purchased from Seddiqi's as their service is exceptional from sales through service. I particularly like the guys in Seddiqi Dubai Marina Mall; went to MoE branch once and found them very stuffy indeed.

They will discount, but as with everything in Dubai, you can probably haggle a bit more outside. I prefer knowing that I am buying from an authorized agent and I know that the warranty will be rock solid. Generally when I get them to call Head Office, I know I've hit their maximum discount level.

Hope it helps and enjoy your new watch when you get it :-)

NorthernLad Jul 24th 2014 6:21 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11346233)
I generally buy Tag Heuer, but also have one Rolex. In Dubai, I have always purchased from Seddiqi's as their service is exceptional from sales through service. I particularly like the guys in Seddiqi Dubai Marina Mall; went to MoE branch once and found them very stuffy indeed.

They will discount, but as with everything in Dubai, you can probably haggle a bit more outside. I prefer knowing that I am buying from an authorized agent and I know that the warranty will be rock solid. Generally when I get them to call Head Office, I know I've hit their maximum discount level.

No chance of flying at the moment Mike, but good information as I have some colleagues getting out of here tonight.

Perfect...thank you Shed!

Unfortunately it's not for me, but should help bank a lot of brownie points ;)

Brains1983 Jul 24th 2014 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11346232)
If you're flying today until (and including) Monday there is 20% off in Dubai Duty Free:
1. Perfumes (excluding Chanel)
2. Cosmetics (excluding Chanel)
3. Liquor
4. Cigarettes Tobacco Cigars
5. Confectionery
6. Delicatessen
7. Watches & Clocks (excluding Rolex, IWC, Panerai & Chopard)
8. Costume Jewellery (excluding Hermes)
9. Sunglasses

do DDF have places at DWC, I'm flying out of there for the first time tomorrow... Not that I'll be buying a Rolex mind!

mikewot Jul 24th 2014 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11346248)
do DDF have places at DWC, I'm flying out of there for the first time tomorrow... Not that I'll be buying a Rolex mind!

Yes but not as big as DXB so the choice is a bit restricted. In departures there are 3, as you come through from having the documentation check and xrays there is one on the left for sweets etc. one on the right for booze and the bigger one in the middle straight in front of you does perfumes, cosmetics, watches etc.
If you're planning to eat there are small eateries on the left as you come into the departures hall, like O'Briens sandwich bar. Otherwise not much once you're through in departures itself, upstairs is a MacDonalds with some sort of Cafe as well, an eatery run by Emirates Flight Catering which is actually quite good and reasonable value and some new thing I can't recall what it is.

co durham boy Jul 24th 2014 7:05 am

;)

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11346218)
Hi, looking for some advice from anyone who has recently bought a watch here.

I'm after a decent watch like Rolex or Cartier.

I've not started looking in the shops yet, but is it better to use one of the main dealers like Ahmed Seddiqi and Sons?

More importantly, will they normally give discount?

You will not get a discount on a Rolex watch here . The best deals here are the cashback offers by the Omega dealerships which covers Tag as as well . These deals are usually twice per year at Eid and in conjunction with the Dubai shopping festival .

I bought an Omega Planet Ocean 2 years ago for 24,000 AED and received 12,000 back to spend in the store , you can also take a cash discount at 20 %.

The deals a no brainer as i walked away with the Planet Ocean and a Speedmaster , great deal .

Never cheat on shoes or a watch , it's the fundementals of a gentleman ;)

NorthernLad Jul 24th 2014 7:12 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11346270)
You will not get a discount on a Rolex watch here . The best deals here are the cashback offers by the Omega dealerships which covers Tag as as well . These deals are usually twice per year at Eid and in conjunction with the Dubai shopping festival .

I bought an Omega Planet Ocean 2 years ago for 24,000 AED and received 12,000 back to spend in the store , you can also take a cash discount at 20 %.

The deals a no brainer as i walked away with the Planet Ocean and a Speedmaster , great deal .

Thanks for the info...I'll take a look around over Eid. If it was for me I'd take an Omega straight away, but the missus has hinted at a Cartier.

co durham boy Jul 24th 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11346278)
Thanks for the info...I'll take a look around over Eid. If it was for me I'd take an Omega straight away, but the missus has hinted at a Cartier.

The dealer has other brands , it's the same dealer all over The Gulf . It doesn't include the IWC watches though which are a thing of beauty . The IWC Portofino is a classic .

UKCityGent Jul 24th 2014 9:02 am

;)

So true - i would also add on a decent aftershave as well

Alfresco Jul 24th 2014 10:08 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11346233)

Just curious. How often do you buy a watch?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 26th 2014 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 11346339)
So true - i would also add on a decent aftershave as well

Crikey. Blast from the past. You well?

Millhouse Jul 27th 2014 5:16 am

;)

add to that list cufflinks, suits and I totally agree. :rofl:

I would never buy a decent watch here though. These sort of purchases are what holidays to the US are for.

flares Jul 27th 2014 5:26 am

Replacement strap for my Bell & Ross - quoted 1200 dh from the shop in Marina Mall Abu Dhabi. that's the rubber strap only not buckle too!
ended up ordering it from Jura watches in UK for 50 quid and got Timsons to pop it on for a couple of quid.

britexpat76 Jul 31st 2014 9:33 am

;)

Couldn't of said it better myself. I can get Rolex at 20-30% Discount here, makes quite a difference - though not from the dealer (51 East) they give you sweet FA.