Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car in Bahrain - any advice?

Buying a used car in Bahrain - any advice?

Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Doodi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used car in Bahrain - any advice?

Are there any specific precautions one should take when buying a used car privately in Bahrain? Any advice on the subject will be much appreciated.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car in Bahrain - any advice?

Originally Posted by Doodi
Are there any specific precautions one should take when buying a used car privately in Bahrain? Any advice on the subject will be much appreciated.
I have a very nice Range Rover for sale. Feel free to come and have a look.

Other tips:

Dont buy from a local
Dont buy a Volvo or people will think you are sad
Dont buy a Surburban or people will think you have small tackle and you would probably buy it off a local
Dont buy from the dealers at the back side of Jid Haffs because they will hike the prices a lot if you are white and quite a lot if you are expat and not white
You will pay extra from the dealer in Budaiya but he has generally low mileage stuff however the staff are slimy and shite
Make sure the owners card indicates that thre is no mortgage on the car i.e. finance
Only buy a Range Rover
Dont buy a car from anyone from Blackburn
Dont buy a dually or you wont be able to do U turns at traffic lights
Dont buy a bargain price S class or 7 series because it is cheap and you have always wanted one
Dont buy an Echo or people will think you are Indian
Dont buy a Jeep as the parts prices will kill you and there are no dunes to drive up anyway
Do buy the new 392 Challenger and please take me for a drive
Dont buy a Ford as the dealer is shite
The chevy dealer is also shite
The mitsubishi dealer is ok but who wants a Pajero
The Hyundai dealer is relatively ok but who wants a Hyundai
The Nissan dealer is ok and Do buy an Xterra they are great
Dont buy a Prado or people will think you are Indian
Dont buy off an Egyptian or Lebo

If you must buy a surburban because you do have small tackle or 6 kids then try the dealers in Riffa as they generally have loads of em in reasonable nick

The above is only valid for Bahrain.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I have a very nice Range Rover for sale. Feel free to come and have a look.

Other tips:

Dont buy from a local
Dont buy a Volvo or people will think you are sad
Dont buy a Surburban or people will think you have small tackle and you would probably buy it off a local
Dont buy from the dealers at the back side of Jid Haffs because they will hike the prices a lot if you are white and quite a lot if you are expat and not white
You will pay extra from the dealer in Budaiya but he has generally low mileage stuff however the staff are slimy and shite
Make sure the owners card indicates that thre is no mortgage on the car i.e. finance
Only buy a Range Rover
Dont buy a car from anyone from Blackburn
Dont buy a dually or you wont be able to do U turns at traffic lights
Dont buy a bargain price S class or 7 series because it is cheap and you have always wanted one
Dont buy an Echo or people will think you are Indian
Dont buy a Jeep as the parts prices will kill you and there are no dunes to drive up anyway
Do buy the new 392 Challenger and please take me for a drive
Dont buy a Ford as the dealer is shite
The chevy dealer is also shite
The mitsubishi dealer is ok but who wants a Pajero
The Hyundai dealer is relatively ok but who wants a Hyundai
The Nissan dealer is ok and Do buy an Xterra they are great
Dont buy a Prado or people will think you are Indian
Dont buy off an Egyptian or Lebo

If you must buy a surburban because you do have small tackle or 6 kids then try the dealers in Riffa as they generally have loads of em in reasonable nick

The above is only valid for Bahrain.
best post of 2012, have some Karma for that 1
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Gladly accepted, thank you Sir
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bugger, just realized you asked after buying a car privately and not from a dealer

Note most of the post is still valid but excuse the references to dealers

One other tip. Think about how long you are going to be here when thinking about how much you are going to spend on a car and avoid finance. If you are only going to be here for a year and you dont have kids then risk a cheap car from a leaving expat as it wont be a big problem if you break down whereas as a breakdown in 47 deg heat with babies in the car is and so you want reliability.

Get to know the unofficial service centres as they may be aware of something being flogged. The unofficial landrover dealer has a 110 with a new engine fitted and AC for 2200 bhd

Do not buy any car for which parts are expensive and the biggest culprit is Jeep. You will be crucified and forget the shit about old jeeps being tough, they arent and you will wish you had bought a new Yaris

Its all down to budget, duration of time on the island, if you really need a car at all and whether you have kids

Range Rover parts are cheap so dont believe everything you hear.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Doodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Tock. I have PM'd you about your Range Rover.

Are there any specific documents I ought to check to ensure someone is not selling what is not their's?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the advice Tock. I have PM'd you about your Range Rover.

Are there any specific documents I ought to check to ensure someone is not selling what is not their's?
Check the registration card against their CPR and then check the back as said to make it sure it has no loan against it.

Check the flag on the CPR to make sure they are not Egytian or Lebo. If you shake hands with a Masri then count your fingers afterwards as the bastard will have tried to rob at least 2 of them

Now wait for all the English Masris to come on line and decry me as a Racist and generalist.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

mauser1905 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tockalosh,

Excellent help here. Now only if someone can come up with such post for Abu Dhabi. I seen some threads lately.

And after reading your tips on Jeep, my heart has sunk.

Many thanks for your time, sir.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mauser1905
Tockalosh,

Excellent help here. Now only if someone can come up with such post for Abu Dhabi. I seen some threads lately.

And after reading your tips on Jeep, my heart has sunk.

Many thanks for your time, sir.
We recently off loaded a company Jeep Cherokee 2008 that routinely cost us 700 bhd (7000 aed) a pop every service in worn out suspension and drive train parts. It wasnt high mileage but was a liability. Probably great new if you are shifting it in 3 years but to buy a second hand old one is just asking for trouble.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

mauser1905 is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently off loaded a company Jeep Cherokee 2008 that routinely cost us 700 bhd (7000 aed) a pop every service in worn out suspension and drive train parts. It wasnt high mileage but was a liability. Probably great new if you are shifting it in 3 years but to buy a second hand old one is just asking for trouble.
7k aed a pop is sure a wife upsetter. No chance.
I was more inclined towards Wrangler.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

My Jeep Commander 2006 has been good as gold in the service stakes but is relatively low miles at 69k and we've had it from new.

BUT I do not trust the AC - that to be fair is piss poor and costly to repair each summer. Quoted 6k Dh just to dismantle r
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

ok,hit me with all your advice,we are bringing a container with our house stuff in it but have room to take out a second car,is this a good or bad idea,it is only to do the school run for me and the kids,would i have to pay an import tax.
Thanks
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Scubaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Tock, you mention in your transferring carguide, that you can not fully insure a car older than 5 years, is this rule of thumb or official, or is there some leeway in more shiny less clapped-out specimens...?

Thanks much
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaroo
Tock, you mention in your transferring carguide, that you can not fully insure a car older than 5 years, is this rule of thumb or official, or is there some leeway in more shiny less clapped-out specimens...?

Thanks much
Older than 5 years old usually only gets third party insurance.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mauser1905
I was more inclined towards Wrangler.
You will live to regret that decision... they really are shite unless it's a third car or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.