British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Buying an SUV on a single Iqama...how??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/buying-suv-single-iqama-how-780508/)

jimster99 Dec 13th 2012 1:17 pm

Buying an SUV on a single Iqama in Ryadh...how???

So I've decided to get a massive lorry-car SUV thing to enjoy the free petrol on offer here in sunny Riyadh.

However - I only have a unmarried person's Iqama and I am reliably informed that this means I can't get an SUV.

I've read various comments on the interweb that with a bit of jiggery-pokery I can "easily" get my grubby paws on the keys for an SUV despite my pariah status, but I can't find out *how* to go about this. So does anyone know??

Thanks!!!

PS I'd rather buy second hand from a private seller if that makes a difference...something cheap and cheerful like a 4 year old Chevvy Trailblazer in which I won't mind the occasional crash (much). I also quite like the idea of a GMC Suburban/Yukon/Denali (purely for the comedy effect of driving around in a bus-car the size of a small village)

scot47 Dec 13th 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Buying an SUV on a single Iqama...how???

There are certainly rules about what kind of vehicles foreigners can own. No pick-ups for example and I believe some restrictions on the bigger 4x4s. Why noy get one of your Saudis to check it out with the traffic people ?

jimster99 Dec 13th 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10431398)
There are certainly rules about what kind of vehicles foreigners can own. No pick-ups for example and I believe some restrictions on the bigger 4x4s. Why noy get one of your Saudis to check it out with the traffic people ?

I've asked in the office and if you ask the police then officially you can't. However I've seen webpostings on this forum indicating there are 'ways and means' around the restriction, but I don't know what that entails. Perhaps if my office writes a letter saying I need an SUV for my job? Although this would not be true...

OleJanx Dec 13th 2012 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jimster99 (Post 10431435)
I've asked in the office and if you ask the police then officially you can't. However I've seen webpostings on this forum indicating there are 'ways and means' around the restriction, but I don't know what that entails. Perhaps if my office writes a letter saying I need an SUV for my job? Although this would not be true...

Economy with the truth? In Saudi?:lol:

scot47 Dec 13th 2012 2:07 pm

Try this one. You are about to marry and as a matter of HONOUR you need a big car to ferry your family (ie Missus) around.

NB they never say "How is the wife ?" it is always "How is the family ?"

Life is easier in Saudi if you can try to see things the way they see it. Adopt the mindset of the Mutawa !

jimster99 Dec 13th 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10431458)
Try this one. You are about to marry and as a matter of HONOUR you need a big car to ferry your family (ie Missus) around.

NB they never say "How is the wife ?" it is always "How is the family ?"

Life is easier in Saudi if you can try to see things the way they see it. Adopt the mindset of the Mutawa !

This is a good tip!! So I get my employer to write a letter saying that I am allowed to buy a car, take this to the police and pursuade them to give me an authority letter to buy an SUV on the basis of honour, is that the right order of things?

norsk Dec 13th 2012 2:35 pm

The rule restricting ownership of large SUV's and trucks is not actually targeted at you, but at the local single blokes. There are plenty of rumours of guys driving round with mattresses in the back pulling women in off the street or hooking up with girls in the malls and then driving around having sex in the back. Does this actually happen? Who knows? There is a lot of crazy shit going down in Saudi. :huh:

I doubt you will have a problem registering the car even if you are on a single status contract with your company. And if you do then your PRO should be able to sort it out by having a conversation with the correct person at the DVLA equivalent (can't for the life of me remember the name in Saudi). Also ask the dealership as will know best and also probably have connections who can sort things for you.

siddiqui Dec 14th 2012 1:47 am

If your buying second hand then there is no relation with your marital status all.

There are guys who own them i'll find out about a brand new one.

siddiqui Dec 14th 2012 7:12 pm

I just found out yes single guys can't buy big suv's but any other 4x4 4 seater is okay.

The other way around is you could buy it on your company name or some friend of your who is married.

Beakersful Dec 15th 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by siddiqui (Post 10433721)
I just found out yes single guys can't buy big suv's but any other 4x4 4 seater is okay.

The other way around is you could buy it on your company name or some friend of your who is married.

Have you got some models you can show as examples here? I'm guessing the reason most people consider something larger is they are more protection on the pinball table that is Saudi roads.