British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Buying poperty in Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/buying-poperty-middle-east-931465/)

Johnstone36 Mar 2nd 2020 12:34 pm

Buying poperty in Middle East

I'm interested in investing in property (possibly Egypt) to provide a passive income. I'm at the start of my investigation but can any expats tell me where would be a good place to start. Ideally, where people would like to stay (including my family!) where there the will be other Brits and an established/cosmopolitan community. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as I'm looking for a starting point to do in depth research! Any tips or advice is welcome :)

Millhouse Mar 2nd 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Buying poperty in Middle East

Originally Posted by Johnstone36 (Post 12814652)
I'm interested in investing in property (possibly Egypt) to provide a passive income. I'm at the start of my investigation but can any expats tell me where would be a good place to start. Ideally, where people would like to stay (including my family!) where there the will be other Brits and an established/cosmopolitan community. I'm sorry I can't be more specific as I'm looking for a starting point to do in depth research! Any tips or advice is welcome :)

Holy smokes... one thing about that passive income is that it will be far from passive.

spouse of scouse Mar 2nd 2020 12:46 pm

Are you an Egyptian national as well as British? I don't think foreigners can buy property in Egypt unless it's for a family member to live in full time.

scot47 Mar 5th 2020 6:35 pm

Buying property is a no-no for foreigners. I suspect Exchange Control might prevent remitting your gains, which might be minimal.

Exchange controls have been loosened recently but the basic principle of the managed economy since the days of Gamal Abdel Nasser has been to restrict foreign ownership and control.

scot47 Mar 5th 2020 8:17 pm

Since posting that I have found several sites by googling which all calim that "foreigners can buy real estate in Egypt under certain restrictions" I would "ca' canny". All the sites I looked at are selling something or some service.

HiHo Mar 7th 2020 12:46 pm

Property prices in the Middle east are in free fall. I guess they have to reach the bottom at some point. Nice that your being prepared, five more years studying your strategy and who knows the market might be ready for an upturn. Good luck