Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car - discount or upgrade?

Buying a new car - discount or upgrade?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a new car - discount or upgrade?

If you were buying a new car in Dubai without a trade-in what, if any, discount can you hope to get off the list price? Is there more hope in getting spec upgrades rather than price reduction, and if so to what approx. value?

If you're taking credit through the dealer can you expect the discount to be a little bit greater?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying a new car - discount or upgrade?

I have just been through the exercise in Qatar. First the ticket price is meaningless, you should expect at least a 10% discount. I got a 20% discount on a Nissan Alitima. Spec upgrades are not something that you negotiate. Choose the Spec and then negotiate the price. Items that you can get included are free insurance (worth about 3 to 5% in Qatar), free servicing for up to 3 years - (worth say QR 700/year). What surprised me is that in nearly all cases I could get a better deal for a new car from a main dealer than I could get for a nearly new car from a secondhand dealer.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

PS I got better deals for cash than credit. In fact I did better handing over a bundle of notes in cash than I could get with a cheque.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
If you were buying a new car in Dubai without a trade-in what, if any, discount can you hope to get off the list price? Is there more hope in getting spec upgrades rather than price reduction, and if so to what approx. value?

If you're taking credit through the dealer can you expect the discount to be a little bit greater?
nah usually doesnt matter they will give you a discount thats it, if you pay cash same discount, if you have part exchange same discount.... you may get some extras thrown in. ramadan is the best time for any "specials" as its usually the time for the old model/new model time.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

You usually can't choose the spec - they'll tell you what models/spec they've got and you can choose. They'll usually bring the price down a bit, but from my experience a lot aren't bothered if you try the 'walk away' negotiation style. They won't come after you.