Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying or Leasing a car in Dubai

Buying or Leasing a car in Dubai

Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying or Leasing a car in Dubai

Hi guys

Im two weeks away from starting work. Im going to have to rent a car for the first month or so until i decide what to do...

The hubby is getting different advice from everywhere.... buy..... lease..... get this, get that... look here, look there!!

Im just getting a little fricken sick of looking and getting nowhere!

I was going to look at a car about a year or two old, hopefully from an expat due to the horror stories! Then a guy says no, just lease it and change it after two years but the leasing prices seem more expensive than a loan?!

Been checking the gulf news regularly, but TBH aint really got the first clue how long it would take to buy a car from another person due to this test things and registration... do you just put down a deposit until it is all done?

Ta muchy peeps! xx
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:47 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying or Leasing a car in Dubai

You can get some very cheap rental deals for a few months while you work out what you want - eg. I'm paying 10 quid a day for a Ford Focus from National.

Car finance seems to need 3 months bank statements so you may need to wait before buying anyway unless paying cash.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:56 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

think you can pay first three months in advance and leave credit card details until you get ur bank statements if you lease
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Depends how long you plan on being here. The longer you expect to stay, the more buying becomes preferable to leasing/rental.

With lease/ rental you will get repairs, servicing, insurance, vehicle inspection as part of the deal - saving a lot of hassle. You also do not have to worry about buying a 'wrong' vehicle, or having to sell at a knock down price as your departure date looms. However, for all this, you pay a higher price.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

ive seen a couple of cars this morning in the Gulf news so i am going to buy!

How long approx does the process take from beginning to end and i am still unsure about how you buy it off another resident.

Do you pay the full amount then they have to take it to get it tested and registered...... I presume i cant drive it until I have insurance and it is in my name?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you and the owner of the car go to the car registration place, you will need your residency visa, driving licence and insurance. You can buy Insurance at the Centre but I would say go through Royal Sun Alliance, we use them and they are very competitive. Basically you hand over the money and then the owner gets the car transferred into your name. Costs 50 dhs I think. I forgot to e mail you about my car, we have decided to keep her until the end of the year at least. I have had 4 cards put on the windscreen this week by people who want to buy her so seeing as she is so special I am gonna keep her
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you and the owner of the car go to the car registration place, you will need your residency visa, driving licence and insurance. You can buy Insurance at the Centre but I would say go through Royal Sun Alliance, we use them and they are very competitive. Basically you hand over the money and then the owner gets the car transferred into your name. Costs 50 dhs I think. I forgot to e mail you about my car, we have decided to keep her until the end of the year at least. I have had 4 cards put on the windscreen this week by people who want to buy her so seeing as she is so special I am gonna keep her
Thank you so much for your help!! Seems the 2 doors are in demand here... or so i have been told!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Thank you so much for your help!! Seems the 2 doors are in demand here... or so i have been told!
I can definately recommend them that's for sure