Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a laptop in UAE, is it cheaper?

Buying a laptop in UAE, is it cheaper?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a laptop in UAE, is it cheaper?

My laptop here in the UK is coming to the end of its useable life.

I will be (hopefully) living in Dubai in the next 6-8 weeks. Is it cheaper to buy a top spec Dell laptop in Dubai or here in the UK? Im looking at the Dell XPS M1710.

PROCESSOR Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 (incl Operating System Re-Installation CD) edit
SUPPORT SERVICES Premium XPS Service, 3 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support) edit
LCD 17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024) edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE(S) Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive Double Layer with Software edit
GRAPHICS CARD 512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GTX graphics card edit
Accessories
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card for Core 2 Duo Processors edit
BLUETOOTH Dell™ Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate edit
CARRY CASES Free - Nylon XPS™ Backpack edit
PRIMARY BATTERY 9 Cell, 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
Electronics
Services & Software
TRANSFER MY PC Replace my PC: 3-in-1 Software Suite: Transfer, Backup and Erase data edit
COMPLETECARE 3-Year Complete Care Accidental Damage Cover edit
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business - English edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit
PHOTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE Combo: Paint Shop® Pro X and Photo Album® Premium - Now at reduced price edit
Also included with your system
KEYBOARD Single Pointing Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
Gedis Bundle Reference N09XPS6 - XPS M1710 Better
Order Information Inspiron Order - UK
Shipping Documents System Documentation
Adobe Reader English - Adobe Reader 8.5.8
Power Supply 130W AC Adapter
Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
Standard Warranty Premium XPS Service, 1 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.
NETWORK ASSISTANT Network Assist - 90 Day Trial
Old Sep 15th 2006, 7:26 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a laptop in UAE, is it cheaper?

Prices for consumer electronics don't seem all that much different out here. What you might want to try is finding a shop in the UK that does tax-free sales (Micro Anvika in the Tottenham Court Road does) and getting it there.

Because you're coming to live in Dubai you should be able to make a case that you're permanently exporting the computer outside the EU, and hence should be able either to buy it VAT-free, or buy it full price and then be able to claim the VAT back at the airport when you leave the UK. You *will* need to be able to convince Customs that you're going to live long-term in Dubai, though.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 8:24 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarethR
Prices for consumer electronics don't seem all that much different out here.
Why are the prices for these things 'not all that much difference' when it's supposed to be a tax free place and the person selling you the thing earns 2000dhs a month, compared to around £1000 a month in the UK?

Is it that we are being ripped off? Or is there someone who has another logical explanation.

I really am working on getting a rosy tint to my lenses and it just isnt working. I don't want anyone to attack me for doobye bashing....just help me with my rose tint...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:47 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happiness
Why are the prices for these things 'not all that much difference' when it's supposed to be a tax free place and the person selling you the thing earns 2000dhs a month, compared to around £1000 a month in the UK?
If you start asking questions like that, the universe will start collapsing in on itself
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:13 am
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

If you start asking questions like that, the universe will start collapsing in on itself
So you haven't got an answer? Your so funny though
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:54 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Happiness
So you haven't got an answer?
Like I said... if you start questioning why consumer electronics are no cheaper in Dubai than in the UK, even though Dubai is a "tax-free" low-wage economy, you might start questioning other aspects of our little paradise in the sand... such as why property has hit British prices, even though you don't get British build quality, British legal protection or British mortgage rates...

And once you start down that path, forever will it consume your destiny...

Best just to enjoy the sunshine and cheap petrol and not think too much
Old Sep 16th 2006, 4:41 pm
Restless soul

Like I said... if you start questioning why consumer electronics are no cheaper in Dubai than in the UK, even though Dubai is a "tax-free" low-wage economy, you might start questioning other aspects of our little paradise in the sand... such as why property has hit British prices, even though you don't get British build quality, British legal protection or British mortgage rates...

And once you start down that path, forever will it consume your destiny...

Best just to enjoy the sunshine and cheap petrol and not think too much
I left I will come back for holidays. I miss the rain and I don't mind paying higher prices for petrol.