British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Buying items in US and shipping to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/buying-items-us-shipping-dubai-528248/)

Robbies Apr 10th 2008 7:19 am

Buying items in US and shipping to Dubai

Morning

I have a quick question which is probably pretty simple to answer...

I am looking at buying golf equipment from the USA, and then getting it delivered here as its considerably cheaper there, even when shipping is added.

If I did this, is there any fees etc to pay when it arrives here? (obviously, there are no taxes here, but normally a 'fee' instead :D)

Cheers
Mike

lionheart Apr 10th 2008 7:36 am

Re: Buying items in US and shipping to Dubai

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6186858)
Morning

I have a quick question which is probably pretty simple to answer...

I am looking at buying golf equipment from the USA, and then getting it delivered here as its considerably cheaper there, even when shipping is added.

If I did this, is there any fees etc to pay when it arrives here? (obviously, there are no taxes here, but normally a 'fee' instead :D)

Cheers
Mike

How about customs duty?

Robbies Apr 10th 2008 7:47 am

yes, this is the sort of thing I am asking about - does it exist here? Is there a set % etc?

just curious to see if there are any additional costs I'd be hit with

Cheers

Spugsy Apr 10th 2008 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 6186939)
yes, this is the sort of thing I am asking about - does it exist here? Is there a set % etc?

just curious to see if there are any additional costs I'd be hit with

Cheers

I had my mac shipped over and I had to pay something like 12% of what it was worth when it got here, they never told me that when I shipped it over though.

:(

Bonny Boy Apr 10th 2008 8:15 am

Yes, there will be customs duty. Also difference if importing new / used, greater than 6 months old.

When I collected my stuff from the airport I air freighted / declared it as used personal effects. They never opened any of my 7 boxes, and based the charge on my self declared value - which I kept on the low side of credibility. ;)

Can't remember the exact percentage, but not life threatening, for new will probably be more though.

Blue Cat Apr 10th 2008 8:16 am

try Aramex ship and save ;)

Live for now Apr 10th 2008 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6186954)
I had my mac shipped over and I had to pay something like 12% of what it was worth when it got here, they never told me that when I shipped it over though.

:(

Why didn't you just wear it........columbo