Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying an ex-Police Car

Buying an ex-Police Car

Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying an ex-Police Car

I'm currently considering buying an ex-Police Car. It's an AD one in the brown/gold colour.

Stickers have been removed, but you can still see the words police in faded paint - I have no issue with this - But, does anyone know if this is a problem? Will I be forced to respray it?

Anything else I need to know about used police cars in UAE? It's been maintained (or not as the case may be) by the MoI.

It'll be the weekend dune basher.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying an ex-Police Car

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm currently considering buying an ex-Police Car. It's an AD one in the brown/gold colour.

Stickers have been removed, but you can still see the words police in faded paint - I have no issue with this - But, does anyone know if this is a problem? Will I be forced to respray it?

Anything else I need to know about used police cars in UAE? It's been maintained (or not as the case may be) by the MoI.

It'll be the weekend dune basher.
The sticker residue comes off with a tar remover - white spirit, paraffin or even petrol is fine.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:55 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I'd buy that just for the hell of it, what kind of motor is it? i am assuming not a car if you are taking it to the sand.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I'd buy that just for the hell of it, what kind of motor is it? i am assuming not a car if you are taking it to the sand.
I must be mad as I decided to do just that. It's a 4.2l 1999 SWB Manual Patrol (the locals favourite tuning beast) - in the AD gold police colour (although I have a letter - in arabic - saying I can change it apparently).

Inside is covered in coffee, donuts, drug wrappers etc. and I think I saw a spot of blood but the good news is it has been done out in wipe clean plastic.

They have painted over the white stripes with a brush, and removed the police stickers, although the words are clearly viable. Plan is to try and import it to Dubai where I will either get it polished to remove all the brushed on paint and stickers, or get it resprayed matt black and turn it into a mad max monster truck. decisions decisions.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:59 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

How much did you pay for it btw?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kix
How much did you pay for it btw?
26k - although I know it was picked up at auction for 21.5k by the flipper I'm getting it off. With the respray it will cost 29k all in.

To give you an idea of comparison - I missed out on a very similar private sale this week that sold for 28k in 8 hours (he had underpriced it a bit, they are normally around 30-31k).

It's not an absolute bargain...However, the private one had higher mileage and had been used offroad. The Fuzzmachine is also wearing brand news tyres (production date 4mths ago) - these alone would cost c. 4k.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:14 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Plan is to try and import it to Dubai where I will either get it polished to remove all the brushed on paint and stickers, or get it resprayed matt black and turn it into a mad max monster truck. decisions decisions.
As a change from the normal approach to these motors, why not try keep it more stealthy than the blinged out approach.
No 10,000watt lights on it, no oversized suspension or wheels, no big turbo intakes or dump valves and the like over the hood. No ridiculous paint job.

Spend the money on some proper instruction in off roading techniques and maybe enter some proper amateur races. Most gulf off roaders spend fortunes on their machinery but are low in any sort of ability or skills.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help feeling that if you get spotted by the UAE Police (especially in Dubai), they will give you a hard time, for no reason other than to be awkward. On that topic, there were two motorcycle cops pulling almost everybody over in Karama yesterday for using mobile phones. They would probably be scared to do it anywhere popular with Emiratis but Indians are obviously easy prey.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As a change from the normal approach to these motors, why not try keep it more stealthy than the blinged out approach.
No 10,000watt lights on it, no oversized suspension or wheels, no big turbo intakes or dump valves and the like over the hood. No ridiculous paint job.

Spend the money on some proper instruction in off roading techniques and maybe enter some proper amateur races. Most gulf off roaders spend fortunes on their machinery but are low in any sort of ability or skills.
One of the reasons I was interested in this one is that it is completely stock. Other than the paint job and 90% satwa tint on the windows I won't be touching it.

I currently use an under-powered Pajero - if that doesn't improve your skills nothing will.

I think your comment on gulf-offroaders is a little harsh - I go out with a very organised club and there is proper tutition and guidance. Of course, some are equipment junkies, but there are some excellent drivers there in stock cars. Last week we had a guy out in a 3.0l LWB Pajero who could only use 2WD - no problem for him at all.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mentalist
I can't help feeling that if you get spotted by the UAE Police (especially in Dubai), they will give you a hard time, for no reason other than to be awkward. On that topic, there were two motorcycle cops pulling almost everybody over in Karama yesterday for using mobile phones. They would probably be scared to do it anywhere popular with Emiratis but Indians are obviously easy prey.
I don't think so. It will only ever go from the Ranches to the Desert and back.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:18 am
Knee deep and rising

One of the reasons I was interested in this one is that it is completely stock. Other than the paint job and 90% satwa tint on the windows I won't be touching it.

I currently use an under-powered Pajero - if that doesn't improve your skills nothing will.

I think your comment on gulf-offroaders is a little harsh - I go out with a very organised club and there is proper tutition and guidance. Of course, some are equipment junkies, but there are some excellent drivers there in stock cars. Last week we had a guy out in a 3.0l LWB Pajero who could only use 2WD - no problem for him at all.
I am sure there are excellent drivers in terms of piloting their vehicles around the desert, but coming from an off road racing background as far as I can see there are no proper race guys to be found.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

26k - although I know it was picked up at auction for 21.5k by the flipper I'm getting it off. With the respray it will cost 29k all in.

To give you an idea of comparison - I missed out on a very similar private sale this week that sold for 28k in 8 hours (he had underpriced it a bit, they are normally around 30-31k).

It's not an absolute bargain...However, the private one had higher mileage and had been used offroad. The Fuzzmachine is also wearing brand news tyres (production date 4mths ago) - these alone would cost c. 4k.
PLEASE tell me it still has the siren fitted, and it is still in perfect working order........
Old Mar 20th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you're buying an ex copper car that will have been treated like the back end of a bus nice one.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by mission
you're buying an ex copper car that will have been treated like the back end of a bus nice one.
I am of the opinion that it would have been well maintained, while it might have a few squeaks, I bet the engine and running gear will be in top shape
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am of the opinion that it would have been well maintained, while it might have a few squeaks, I bet the engine and running gear will be in top shape
exactly. It would have simply had scheduled maintenance done on it... vs. say, a hire car, which would have maintenance scheduled around anticipated disposal dates. Hence it's sitting on 4mth old rubber - the tyres were 3 months old when it was put to auction and has perfect AC and clean fluids etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.