Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a Dubai car to register in Abu Dhabi

Buying a Dubai car to register in Abu Dhabi

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

HVO_1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a Dubai car to register in Abu Dhabi

I am new in Abu Dhabi (been here for 6 weeks). I faced the same scenario, whereby I wanted to buy a car in Dubai but wasn't sure whether or not the car I wanted was OK. I did get a feeling from many of the dealers in Dubai that the stories they told me didn't match up to the way their cars looked, felt or sounded. As for Sharjah, avoid it at all costs. I was told to go up there and it's the worst advice I've received because, well, you just have to go there to believe it. I asked one dealer how many kms a car did, only for him to ask me '30,000, 40,000, how many do you want?'. One guy claimed a 2009 car only did 30,000 miles. And avoid American imports unless they have an FSH, doubt many will.

The way I got my car - I spoke to a bunch of guys trading under the name of Expat Wheels - all from the UK and for Dhs 500 plus 120 for a low loader they will take your car to a garage and test the engine, mechanics suspension and electrics and report back to you. They told me what the faults were (all minor) and how much they would cost to fix. I used that info to haggle down the price by Dhs 8k.

I am not sure if anyone has come across them but I would recommend. And I still have to register my car in A.D., hopefully this Sunday.