Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a car- Doha

Buying a car- Doha

Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Bromleyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car- Doha

I'm looking to buy a used car- what documents will I need to get in order to do this right? I'm thinking....

MOT certificate- is there an equivalent Qatari document?
Log book- do cars here have one? If so, how do I transfer the ownership to me?

I also heard that you need to obtain a certificate that confirms that there is no outstanding debt owed on the car by the previous owner, is this true?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car- Doha

Don't know the answers as I'm in the UAE, but britexpat76 will be your man in the know.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:22 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromleyboy
I'm looking to buy a used car- what documents will I need to get in order to do this right? I'm thinking....

MOT certificate- is there an equivalent Qatari document?

Cars over 3 years old here need a technical inspection (MOT equivalent) but you cannot do one if it has longer than 3 months to run - The date it expires in on the card.

Log book- do cars here have one? If so, how do I transfer the ownership to me?

Its a registration card which the police will transfer for you and the owner. (You can pay companies to do this which I do)

I also heard that you need to obtain a certificate that confirms that there is no outstanding debt owed on the car by the previous owner, is this true?

Not true. As long as the registration card does not say finance on it you can transfer the car. If there is a debt to the bank then it must be cleared and a the bank will give a clearance letter

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Everything here is on a registration card, a credit card sized document. You only need your Qatar id to buy the car

Make sure you inspect anything you want to buy and call the dealer for the service history.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

jamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant futurejamesshaffer has a brilliant future

Hey there,
sure, you'll need the documents from the previous owner of the car. In case the seller isn't going to provide you the necessary records, I'd highly recommend you to get suspicious and request the document to avoid any trouble.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:54 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Consider buying a new car, the used ones are insanely expensive, three years old cars costing as much or even more than new!

The Nissan Altima 2.5s can be bought new for QAR74k, or about QAR70k during Ramadan when on special offer. Worth considering since you are new to Doha, and might be around for a few years.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:56 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Consider buying a new car, the used ones are insanely expensive, three years old cars costing as much or even more than new!
Yeah but the pre-loved cars are just like new, still got the factory plastic covers on the seats and delivery labels on the windscreens. In fact better than new 'cause they've been run in.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:23 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

The Nissan Altima 2.5s can be bought new for QAR74k, or about QAR70k during Ramadan when on special offer. Worth considering since you are new to Doha, and might be around for a few years.
What they ask and what you pay are 2 completely different things though. You can get a 2 year old Xterra for the new altima money and a far better/safer proposition.

Just don't buy a car from someone with 'med', 'mad' or 'Ali' in their name.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 4:25 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
What they ask and what you pay are 2 completely different things though. You can get a 2 year old Xterra for the new altima money and a far better/safer proposition.

Just don't buy a car from someone with 'med', 'mad' or 'Ali' in their name.
I've still not been tempted out of my Nissan Sunny Classic rental car. Enough power to run the front wheel transmission or the aircon, but not both at once...
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:17 am
Shark Fisherman

I've still not been tempted out of my Nissan Sunny Classic rental car. Enough power to run the front wheel transmission or the aircon, but not both at once...
I admire your loyalty to that machine. Epic.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice motor here.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very easy to buy here. Although have to admit after visiting a number of establishments on Salwa Road eventually bought from the dealership just to have peace of mind and a dealer warranty.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaserMan
It is very easy to buy here. Although have to admit after visiting a number of establishments on Salwa Road eventually bought from the dealership just to have peace of mind and a dealer warranty.
The Salwa road car dealers are where the sharks swim. Shagged out bangers at silly prices.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

relocatee is an unknown quantity at this point

In a longer run - lets say 2-3 years how does price of buying car compare to the expense of "borrowing" one? I'm interested in something small and not too expensive.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:24 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by relocatee
In a longer run - lets say 2-3 years how does price of buying car compare to the expense of "borrowing" one? I'm interested in something small and not too expensive.
If you are going to be here more than a year buy. Used car prices here are stupidly high.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

newtoqatar is an unknown quantity at this point

that's true