Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

buying a car abu dhabi

buying a car abu dhabi

Old May 26th 2015, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

wanderlust1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile buying a car abu dhabi

I've seen many adverts on Dubizzle.com for used suv's at ridiculously low prices.eg Porsche Cayenne for 30000 AED. Any advice for a first-time car buyer in Abu Dhabi?
Old May 26th 2015, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a car abu dhabi

Originally Posted by wanderlust1
I've seen many adverts on Dubizzle.com for used suv's at ridiculously low prices.eg Porsche Cayenne for 30000 AED. Any advice for a first-time car buyer in Abu Dhabi?
don't expect it to last
Old May 26th 2015, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Millhouse. I was fairly sceptical as well, but as a newcomer to the region, some pointers from an old pro (such as yourself) would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 27th 2015, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse. I was fairly sceptical as well, but as a newcomer to the region, some pointers from an old pro (such as yourself) would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance!
Ok, so bascially the rules are:

- Rent first, learn how to drive here before buying anything.
- Don't buy a car in Sharjah
- If you end up owning a really shit car, sell it in Sharjah
- If buying second-hand, buy from a decent dealer; and only a main-dealer garage if possible.
- Only buy Japanese brands -- this is especially true if you are buying anything over three years old. Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi
- Don't buy anything that is "USA spec" or "USA import" - best case it will be stolen, worse it will be a flood damage / cut-shut repair
- Get decent insurance, don't buy that from the dealer, instead use a broker like insureme.com
- Haggle and negotiation the price as much as you can - especially if its a private sale. This is harder (but not impossible) with the dealers.
Old May 27th 2015, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Ok, so bascially the rules are:

- If buying second-hand, buy from a decent dealer; and only a main-dealer garage if possible.
I'd agree with all of Millhouse's points except possibly this one. I've bought several second hand cars, and none from a dealer. Search for ads on facebook (AD market place), spinneys/abela notice boards (the ones located near the places where western expats live) from western families etc leaving who bought new 2-3 years ago and have now finished their contracts. In many cases, they'll have bought a decent car new, had it serviced properly, and never taken it near the desert - and will be keen to sell it at the last safe moment, and so will accept a sensible offer if they think you'll not mess them around at the very last minute. Both sides are happy, and you get a decent, sensible mileage/aged car for a much better price than from a dealer.
Old May 27th 2015, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
I'd agree with all of Millhouse's points except possibly this one. I've bought several second hand cars, and none from a dealer. Search for ads on facebook (AD market place), spinneys/abela notice boards (the ones located near the places where western expats live) from western families etc leaving who bought new 2-3 years ago and have now finished their contracts. In many cases, they'll have bought a decent car new, had it serviced properly, and never taken it near the desert - and will be keen to sell it at the last safe moment, and so will accept a sensible offer if they think you'll not mess them around at the very last minute. Both sides are happy, and you get a decent, sensible mileage/aged car for a much better price than from a dealer.
ah, also very true. I've done this as well.
look for cars with chocolate ground into the rear seats by the kids, they will be pretty genuine.
Old May 28th 2015, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the responses. I feel much better equipped to make a decision now.

And the "chocolate ground into the seats " comment-priceless!
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

check with the main dealer on the service record.

my colleague bought and Audi A1 for his wife recently with 25k km on the clock. When he took it to the dealer for a minor repair they told him that last time they serviced it the car had done 75k km.
it may also have been an insurance right off to make things worse.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 8:12 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Dubizzle also tends to fill up with the same scam ad's that some of the FB groups get hit with.

If it looks to good to be true, it is. Stock numbers in adverts, price in USD, photos of the vehicle without a background confirmable as at least the ME etc...

Some of the scammers are just getting so damn lazy..

Young people these days.. Humph.. No work ethic...
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the responses. I feel much better equipped to make a decision now.

And the "chocolate ground into the seats " comment-priceless!
Just make sure it is chocolate