Buying a Car

Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Car

Are there any issues with buying a car from one Emirate when you live in another??
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice
Default Re: Buying a Car

only thing I have heard of is that you would have to register it in the Emirate you have residency in - if you bought in Abu Dhabi you need to have some sort of trade plate and insurance to get the car here, then re-register & insure it when you get to Dubai

(that may be not 100% but its certainly what I recall seeing when we were moving here)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

1.) buy car in any emirate
2.) take car, proof of purchase, visa and passport to traffic dept of emirate you bought car in
3.)they wil inspect the car (same as annual inspection) and ask which emirate you wish to export it to, pay fee and buy export plates
4.) take car to emirate you wish to register it in
5.)go to traffic dept and get the car inspected again (yes i kid you not!) pay fee again and buy new number plates again
6.) car is now registered in your emirate and will be as if it was bought there in the first place

pain in the arse? yes, take long....not too bad....double fees....yup you bet
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:56 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Is this worthwhile for 'normal' cars? I've heard Dubai prices are somewhat inflated, but not sure if that's just at the top end...

Now I'm finally getting paid, I can think about buying some wheels...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Is this worthwhile for 'normal' cars? I've heard Dubai prices are somewhat inflated, but not sure if that's just at the top end...

Now I'm finally getting paid, I can think about buying some wheels...
I've heard that Sharjah is cheaper than DXB for buying 2nd hand...

Does anyone know whether they enforce fines & speeding in an emirate other than the one you live in? I've heard people in AD say that they don't get done for speeding in Dubai???
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
1.) buy car in any emirate
2.) take car, proof of purchase, visa and passport to traffic dept of emirate you bought car in
3.)they wil inspect the car (same as annual inspection) and ask which emirate you wish to export it to, pay fee and buy export plates
4.) take car to emirate you wish to register it in
5.)go to traffic dept and get the car inspected again (yes i kid you not!) pay fee again and buy new number plates again
6.) car is now registered in your emirate and will be as if it was bought there in the first place

pain in the arse? yes, take long....not too bad....double fees....yup you bet
I'm finding the whole thing very confusing. My husbands Resident Visa was issued in Dubai as that is where is company is Registered but we are living in Al Ain. We thought we should buy a car in Dubai but now we've been told we should buy in AbuDhabi or we will have to reregister it.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I've heard that Sharjah is cheaper than DXB for buying 2nd hand...

Does anyone know whether they enforce fines & speeding in an emirate other than the one you live in? I've heard people in AD say that they don't get done for speeding in Dubai???
Yes, they do. I suppose it would be even less of a deterrent otherwise.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Yes, they do. I suppose it would be even less of a deterrent otherwise.
wow, guess i've been lucky then.... been flashed by the cameras but never been charged for it.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Camera might have been out of film. They must get through a LOT of film....
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Camera might have been out of film. They must get through a LOT of film....
well just hope they don't switch over to digital like they're doing over here now... or even the average speed cameras which they're thinking about sticking up all over residential areas for the new 20mph speed limits.

the annual inspection over there, is that like the MOT here? or is it more emirati than that?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
well just hope they don't switch over to digital like they're doing over here now... or even the average speed cameras which they're thinking about sticking up all over residential areas for the new 20mph speed limits.

the annual inspection over there, is that like the MOT here? or is it more emirati than that?
Annual inspection??? They just check if the front/rear lights are operational, tyres are full of air, petrol tank has petrol in it, and last but not least; good radio reception...
For cars that are 2 years old or less, they don't get inspected...
And I'm speaking from experience...
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
And I'm speaking from experience...
yep, but you have a small car, non...and we know what they say about guys with a small car...

MM, xx
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
wow, guess i've been lucky then.... been flashed by the cameras but never been charged for it.
They don't send out tickets. Check on the Police website under your car reg number for fines.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Has anybody else noticed that when you check the Salik website it gives you the times you went under the gates to the second. It would be very easy for "them" to calculate your average speed and turn this into a speed trap.

Just a (depressing) thought.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody else noticed that when you check the Salik website it gives you the times you went under the gates to the second. It would be very easy for "them" to calculate your average speed and turn this into a speed trap.

Just a (depressing) thought.
what an excellent idea!

Though I suppose many wouldn't consider it a fine/punishment, they'd just consider it a 'tax' and pay up for the 'right' to go faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.