Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buy your car before the end of year

Buy your car before the end of year

Old May 7th 2008, 4:16 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buy your car before the end of year

VAT is coming in before christmas.
Will this drive some expats away? living costs are already crazy.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:44 pm
Banned

E.S.M will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buy your car before the end of year

Originally Posted by Slingshot
VAT is coming in before christmas.
Will this drive some expats away? living costs are already crazy.
ohh
thank you
Old May 7th 2008, 4:48 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E.S.M
ohh
thank you
some fresh blood. welcome!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:57 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Slingshot;6319449].
Will this drive some expats away?

Not much of a new car if it doesn't ...........................

sorry!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:59 pm
same shit different day

[QUOTE=Eva;6319627]
Originally Posted by Slingshot
Will this drive some expats away?

Not much of a new car if it doesn't ...........................

sorry!
I agree. but it will be VAT on all luxury items which will mean a pinch for some folk
Old May 7th 2008, 6:57 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Slingshot;6319634]
Originally Posted by Eva

I agree. but it will be VAT on all luxury items which will mean a pinch for some folk
I think the biggest effect may be on business that suddenly need to keep "proper" auditible accounts to detail their VAT and make payment on such VAT...

Currently there is no such requirement for accounts...

It will be a mess. 100% mess....

Most everyone will just carry on and grumble - business will suffer...
Old May 7th 2008, 7:11 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I did read somewhere - possibly Gulf News - that VAT would be offset by the abolition of import duty.

Anyone believe that?

Even if it happens, I imagine that suppliers won't first reduce their prices to reflect the lower cost of importing their goods before adding the VAT, they'll just whack the VAT onto whatever the current price is.

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Most everyone will just carry on and grumble - business will suffer...
I had a long chat with the CEO of my company the other day. It's a major employer in TECOM, and it's one of the few media companies out here to be truly financially solvent, and not relying on the endless deep pockets of its owning sheikh to stay afloat. Anyway, he said that "you just wouldn't believe the problems involved in retaining staff in Dubai [due to the inflation], especially in a knowledge-based company with an international staff who can find jobs in other companies easily".

If VAT really does impact noticeably on the cost of living, I can see that my CEO is going to have even more problems on his hands. As he says, he can't just keep raising salaries and benefits to retain people, because he refuses to run a non-profitable company - and a frightening number of companies in Dubai don't make a penny profit. They're the playthings of billionaire sheikhs, and anywhere else in the world, they just wouldn't be able to exist.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 7th 2008 at 7:21 pm.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:22 pm
same shit different day

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I did read somewhere - possibly Gulf News - that VAT would be offset by the abolition of import duty.

Anyone believe that?

Even if it happens, I imagine that suppliers won't first reduce their prices to reflect the lower cost of importing their goods before adding the VAT, they'll just whack the VAT onto whatever the current price is.
There was someting about that on the radio tonight. who knows. I doubt it. Hopefully there will be an article in Gulf News tomorrow to enlighten us all.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:27 pm
same shit different day

I had a long chat with the CEO of my company the other day. It's a major employer in TECOM, and it's one of the few media companies out here to be truly financially solvent, and not relying on the endless deep pockets of its owning sheikh to stay afloat. Anyway, he said that "you just wouldn't believe the problems involved in retaining staff in Dubai [due to the inflation], especially in a knowledge-based company with an international staff who can find jobs in other companies easily".

If VAT really does impact noticeably on the cost of living, I can see that my CEO is going to have even more problems on his hands. As he says, he can't just keep raising salaries and benefits to retain people, because he refuses to run a non-profitable company - and a frightening number of companies in Dubai don't make a penny profit. They're the playthings of billionaire sheikhs, and anywhere else in the world, they just wouldn't be able to exist.

How true. I know lots of companies are having to review salaries more often than they would in say the UK. 3 years ago it was because of the rising rents, now inflation. People will probably need to jump ship to gain more money as companies just can't keep up with the rising costs.

Don't get me started on billionaire sheikhs, but then they do pay me a princely sum for my services so long may it continue
Old May 7th 2008, 7:35 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

You have to wonder how long it'll take before the costs of operating a company out of Dubai render it uncompetitive and therefore uneconomic.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:42 pm
W10

VAT will be 5% at most, and all the noises have been that it will be - as Eeyore said - offset against the current import duty.

Whether this happens remains to be seen.

Old May 7th 2008, 7:42 pm
same shit different day

You have to wonder how long it'll take before the costs of operating a company out of Dubai render it uncompetitive and therefore uneconomic.
I know a company that shut down their london office, moved everyone here three years ago on the assumption they would make a hugh savings on overheads. How wrong could they be.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:43 pm
same shit different day

Originally Posted by W10
VAT will be 5% at most, and all the noises have been that it will be - as Eeyore said - offset against the current import duty.

Whether this happens remains to be seen.
It was announced on the radio tonight that it would come in at the end of the year. Talks have suggested it will be 5% or 7% but the rate was not discussed.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:22 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

excuse my ignorance, but do you mean a VAT in UAE?
Old May 7th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone believe that?

This is worrying. very worrying.

Especially for anyone thinking about moving out there. Still, its another argument for me to use when negotiating a bigger package out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.