Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Old Jun 16th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Or Oasis like.
and no fake tits in sight
Old Jun 16th 2013, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
and no fake tits in sight
You mean you can't see JLT from there.....?
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:39 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Oh I thought DSO was okay, saying that though...only been to a kids party there one afternoon and the house was very nice and had a trip to Spinneys, would suit us being near DESC
Old Jun 16th 2013, 5:18 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived in DSO for almost 7 years now after living in jumeirah for 3 years and much prefer it here and as you say great for DESC - pros and cons everywhere.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be the only person in Dubai who prefers DSO to Jumeira.

Originally Posted by Fairydust
We've lived in DSO for almost 7 years now after living in jumeirah for 3 years and much prefer it here and as you say great for DESC - pros and cons everywhere.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hi Poshy
We've been happy buyers since the property market launched here about 10 years ago. Feel free to ask any questions!

One thing I would say is that you will need to factor in extra cash for land fees/agency fees/this that and the next thing! I don't think your mortgage would cover these so you would need to have cash which can quickly add up.

Land fees are listed on the land dept website.

The other problem you will face at the moment is that sellers are looking for cash buyers, not finance. You will need to be ready to make a quick decision and put down deposits quickly if you see somewhere you like and are ready to buy.

Buying for us has been great, we are here/have been here long term and company does not make rental payments for us, so financially it has made sense. Everyone has a different story so what works for one won't work for another.

good luck! shout if you need help.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:39 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: To Buy or not to Buy ?...tired of renting !

Originally Posted by Ethos83
You must be the only person in Dubai who prefers DSO to Jumeira.
Maybe but when faced with 45 mins sat in traffic at certain times of the day and half an hour to school and back I know where I prefer- 5 minutes to school and 10-20 minutes to anywhere else in Dubai I want to go. I've got a pool in my garden and 2 MMI shops within 5 mins what else do I need
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Maybe but when faced with 45 mins sat in traffic at certain times of the day and half an hour to school and back I know where I prefer- 5 minutes to school and 10-20 minutes to anywhere else in Dubai I want to go. I've got a pool in my garden and 2 MMI shops within 5 mins what else do I need
What if you fancy going to the Marina?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You say you lived in DSO for the last seven years?

I was in Dubai in 2008 and people were just starting to move into the apartments. It was a wasteland. Not sure if the villas were ready by then.

Anyway, had friends who lived in DSO. Their biggest complaint - it takes a long time to get anywhere. And since you have to leave to go anywhere, you spend a lot of time in the car.

Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:18 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by Scamp
What if you fancy going to the Marina?
I don't, hence I said 10-20 minutes to where I want to go
Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't, hence I said 10-20 minutes to where I want to go
You never go that end of town?

Sometimes wish I didn't, but the office is there so I have no choice

Still, Al Khail is dreamy in the mornings.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:22 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by Ethos83
You say you lived in DSO for the last seven years?

I was in Dubai in 2008 and people were just starting to move into the apartments. It was a wasteland. Not sure if the villas were ready by then.

Anyway, had friends who lived in DSO. Their biggest complaint - it takes a long time to get anywhere. And since you have to leave to go anywhere, you spend a lot of time in the car.
Yes the first group of villas were the only thing up here at the time. In most of the freehold villa areas you have to drive to get anywhere ie ranches, the villa etc
Old Jun 17th 2013, 7:25 am
Its all good

You never go that end of town? .
Very rarely maybe to a restaurant in which case I cab it anyway.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You never go that end of town?
I haven't been to the marina for months, certainly not this year.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I haven't been to the marina for months, certainly not this year.
I rarely go either to be fair, apart from to pick up / drop off a mate. Traffic is ****ing terrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.