Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buy or lease a car in Doha?

Buy or lease a car in Doha?

Old Apr 21st 2012, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

youngdoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy or lease a car in Doha?

I'm moving to Doha in the next few weeks. Would t be best to buy or lease a car? Can anyone advise of lease prices and where to get a car from?
Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buy or lease a car in Doha?

I think most people hire cars here, probably simpler for most people. Prices are Qr1600 for a rent a dent Nissan Tida, to Qr2500 for a reasonable saloon car.

Buying is probably cheaper monthly payments, but you'd be living in fear of getting it damaged by the crazy drivers.

I don't have a car here, manage ok without one...sometimes it would be handy to have but I can't be bothered getting one.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:18 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Nissan Sunny Classic for QR2200/m incl. comp. insurance (QR1500 excess). Petrol is basically free, QR40 to fill the tank, which lasts me about two weeks. There are lots of companies at the airport when you arrive. I use al muftalawi and would recommend them (not to much hassle when you take the car back bashed) and there's al mufta too which is similar. All the big names are there too, Hertz, Avis, Eurocar etc. I'd rent initially, until you get used to the crazy (dangerous) driving here.

Your UK licence allows you to drive for 7 days from arrival, then you need to obtain a temporary licence from the traffic police (involves an eye test and lots of paperwork). Bring lots of colour copies of everything with you, passport, driving licence (both parts) and passport photos with a blue background. Bring a Credit/ Debit Card. Expect to have to wait then be sent away for more paperwork, at least twice. Despite a huge queue, expect to see only one counter serving in a hall with 20 empty counters and expect to meet the rudest woman you could ever imagine.

A Landcruiser Prado will cost QR6000/m, ouch!

[J]
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:34 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your Visa when you arrive, tourist/Business you cab use an IDP (International drivers permit, available from some post offices at home) for 6 months or until your Residency Permit gets started. I got one, this was so I didn't have to queue half a day for my licence, Though all I am doing is prolonging the inevitable.

You can get 4 x 4 Pajero 5 door etc for 4000 a month if you are taking a 6 month rental, buying one and insuring would cost you half that in depreciation and insurance. Until you have your RP you cant buy one anyway so you will be renting initially regardless.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Are u guys all leasing?
How does it work with finance to buy a car?
I've read here that if you buy carefully - such as a landcruiser you won't lose much when u come to sell as they are in high demand?
Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:49 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngdoc
Are u guys all leasing?
How does it work with finance to buy a car?
I've read here that if you buy carefully - such as a landcruiser you won't lose much when u come to sell as they are in high demand?
Cheers

From the people I know its a 50/50 split between owning and renting. Renting means if you have an accident etc you take it back and get another one, all you do is put fuel in it. I personally wouldnt touch a landcruiser etc, if you are ever going to buy a car thats had its mileage tampered with etc thats the one..............It would of also most probably been in the desert.

Most cars here don't depreciate anything like they do at home, which is why ownership is cheaper. Finance can be arranged by your bank, after you have paid your salary into it, all you need is a quotation from a dealer.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
From the people I know its a 50/50 split between owning and renting. Renting means if you have an accident etc you take it back and get another one, all you do is put fuel in it. I personally wouldnt touch a landcruiser etc, if you are ever going to buy a car thats had its mileage tampered with etc thats the one..............It would of also most probably been in the desert.

Most cars here don't depreciate anything like they do at home, which is why ownership is cheaper. Finance can be arranged by your bank, after you have paid your salary into it, all you need is a quotation from a dealer.
I'd prefer a german car over land cruisers etc but just trying to get an idea of depreciation which is quite difficult to do.
What do u do out there mate? Would be great to meet other professionals.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

I've got a friend who works at an Audi garage in Doha, I was looking at some of their cars, prices were ok and finance looked straightforward enough. When I get round to buying that's probably where I'll go.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james1966
I've got a friend who works at an Audi garage in Doha, I was looking at some of their cars, prices were ok and finance looked straightforward enough. When I get round to buying that's probably where I'll go.
That sounds very promising - please keep in touch as I'd happily take an Audi over a land cruiser!
How does financing work out there for cars? With it being a Muslim country is it interest free or am I being too naive?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by youngdoc
That sounds very promising - please keep in touch as I'd happily take an Audi over a land cruiser!
How does financing work out there for cars? With it being a Muslim country is it interest free or am I being too naive?
It works with profit, comes to the same in the end.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:33 am
Shark Fisherman

I am in the car trade here too. Trying to be impartial and not advertise! The dealers here have very big mark ups, you can get the same car about you can generally save upto 10 % by having a good independent garage get a car for you.....
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I am in the car trade here too. Trying to be impartial and not advertise! The dealers here have very big mark ups, you can get the same car about you can generally save upto 10 % by having a good independent garage get a car for you.....
Britexpat76 feel free to pm me with details as I'm trying to get as much info as possible!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Chris Medhurst is an unknown quantity at this point

Brit expat, wondering if you could offer any advice.

I'm moving to Doha in the first week of May. My parents live in Abu Dhabi and have a golf they dont want any more and would let me have nice and cheaply.

Is the import procedure from UAE to Qatar too much of a minefield to make this a worthwhile proposition? Are the costs involved in terms of import duty prohibitive?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Medhurst
Brit expat, wondering if you could offer any advice.

I'm moving to Doha in the first week of May. My parents live in Abu Dhabi and have a golf they dont want any more and would let me have nice and cheaply.

Is the import procedure from UAE to Qatar too much of a minefield to make this a worthwhile proposition? Are the costs involved in terms of import duty prohibitive?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris
Going from reaction to this question from other sites, this idea looks like more bother that it's worth. I'm sure there will be some more knowledgeable people on here, that can give more accurate advice.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:19 am
Shark Fisherman

It is a big paperwork exercise to be honest, You will need a receipt of sale (They need this to charge you the 5% import tax) an export certificate from the UAE and numerous other bits of paper you probably dont have. You then have to register it here with the traffic police and if you dont have the correct papers you will not be able to register it. Most people that import cars here get someone to do it for them but can cost cQR10,000............

All the cars I import I get the selling dealer in the UAE to do all this leg work for me and as I generally buy by the lorry load (9 Cars) it keeps all my costs down.

If the car is still under warranty you will also lose that as the dealers are generally ars*holes and as unaccomodating as possible...........

My advice, flog it there where its worth more and buy seperately here. Volkswagens are pretty cheap here anyhow as bar the taxi's there are not many about here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.