Burkini's are out

Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about
Default Burkini's are out

It looks like the French are getting even stricter with the wearing of the Burka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:42 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Burkini's are out

Originally Posted by 954RR
It looks like the French are getting even stricter with the wearing of the Burka.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8197917.stm
I am all for a balance in society but considering France is home to 5 million Muslims, this does not bode well for race relations. The French Government risk further alienating French Muslims who are an integral part of French society.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meonline
I am all for a balance in society but considering France is home to 5 million Muslims, this does not bode well for race relations. The French Government risk further alienating French Muslims who are an integral part of French society.
5 million Muslims are less than 8% of the French population. If you count only legal Muslims that number will be less than 7%. How many Non-Muslims live in the UAE? I guess far more than 7% and the government does not allow me to kiss my wife in public, wear shorts in a Malls, drive a female colleague to her house, drink water in public during one month a year when outside is 45C... gosh.... now I really feel alienated!!!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
5 million Muslims are less than 8% of the French population. If you count only legal Muslims that number will be less than 7%. How many Non-Muslims live in the UAE? I guess far more than 7% and the government does not allow me to kiss my wife in public, wear shorts in a Malls, drive a female colleague to her house, drink water in public during one month a year when outside is 45C... gosh.... now I really feel alienated!!!
Does this mean the Sports Illustrate Burkini Issue is cancelled?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Does this mean the Sports Illustrate Burkini Issue is cancelled?
It is not cancelled. The photo shooting has been moved from Champs Elysees to the KSA. It will take place during the Saudi Beauty Pageant Contest...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6244354.ece
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:47 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I truly fail to see why people have a problem with this...is there some sort of law that tells us exactly how much flesh needs to be on display in order to be allowed to go swimming...
If anything, hideous beerbellied men in Speedos should be banned for life...

Are wetsuits offending as well...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I truly fail to see why people have a problem with this...is there some sort of law that tells us exactly how much flesh needs to be on display in order to be allowed to go swimming...
If anything, hideous beerbellied men in Speedos should be banned for life...

Are wetsuits offending as well...
http://www.banmoco.co.uk/speedos-ban...htening-11500/

there you go MH, you wish is granted lol
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned

lol...I knew I had a point there...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned

"Alton Towers has said that is also considering offering body waxing services to men"

Wow Back, Sack and Crack services offered at Alton Towers? Whatever next.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

The Muslims in France are French citizens.

The non-Muslims in the UAE are tolerated visitors/residents.

The European's style themselves as multi-cultural, multi-racial, tolerant etc.

The Gulf states do not.

Hence whilst the Gulf states do not conform to western liberal ideals, at least they are not hypocritical about it.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:26 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

The Gulf states do not.

Hence whilst the Gulf states do not conform to western liberal ideals, at least they are not hypocritical about it.
I know I've said this before, but in France, these various "rules" (like not wearing any kind of religious symbol/garment in schools) have been in force for a long, long time, and yes, it is to make sure that religion does not have any effect on state business.

So the swimming pool has rules that say you can't jump in fully clothed? Just like it has a rule that you have to pay the entrace fee, not run around, etc... big deal. If you don't respect the other rules, you either don't get in or get chucked out... why should this be any different?

Oh yeah, sorry... it's roflstomping my human rights if religion is lurking behind my choice.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The Gulf states do not.

Well... the French citizens (Muslims or not) voted for the government that decides over the laws and regulations of the country. One of those regulations been the No Burkini. If they do not like it, they can vote for another government in a few years. The citizens here (Muslims or not) do not have that privilege... as laws are dictated (and changed every day) by non elected figures that often have a very narrow mind about what is right or wrong.

On the other hand... been multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-whatever does not mean everything goes! My understanding is that the French government (maybe in a wrong way) understand some muslim outfits to be an element of oppression for women and they put the person over the religion. If it is at all that the Muslim religion requires women to wear this kind of cloth... what I am not totally sure.

I do not see the French government been hypocritical about it... they are choosing based on their values.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Well... the French citizens (Muslims or not) voted for the government that decides over the laws and regulations of the country. One of those regulations been the No Burkini. If they do not like it, they can vote for another government in a few years. The citizens here (Muslims or not) do not have that privilege... as laws are dictated (and changed every day) by non elected figures that often have a very narrow mind about what is right or wrong.

On the other hand... been multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-whatever does not mean everything goes! My understanding is that the French government (maybe in a wrong way) understand some muslim outfits to be an element of oppression for women and they put the person over the religion. If it is at all that the Muslim religion requires women to wear this kind of cloth... what I am not totally sure.

I do not see the French government been hypocritical about it... they are choosing based on their values.
OK, but were the latest restrictions in the manifesto at the time of election? I'm not sure, I admit.

Also, western democracies are constitutional democracies - rights of minorities are meant to be protected. It isn't 3 foxes and a chicken voting on what is for lunch!

The real issue is to what extent women are forced into wearing this garb. If it is a free choice, I have nothing against it (libertarian leanings on my part I'm afraid). However, if an element are coerced, is there any other mechanism of tackling this other than an out-right ban?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, but were the latest restrictions in the manifesto at the time of election? I'm not sure, I admit.

Also, western democracies are constitutional democracies - rights of minorities are meant to be protected. It isn't 3 foxes and a chicken voting on what is for lunch!

The real issue is to what extent women are forced into wearing this garb. If it is a free choice, I have nothing against it (libertarian leanings on my part I'm afraid). However, if an element are coerced, is there any other mechanism of tackling this other than an out-right ban?
The restrictions (that applies to other religions and issues) have been for decades. It is not something new and most of the French Muslims are former colonies arabs who became French citizens in the 50s, 60s knowing these restrictions. The problem is that, funny enough, the children of this old generation are more radical than their parents.

By the way, I do not agree with the Burkini ban myself but I do understand the French government.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:25 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

The restrictions (that applies to other religions and issues) have been for decades.
The principle of a secular state, and consequently the laws and rules separating state from religion have been in force in France since Napoleonic times, and were kicked off during the French Revolution...220-odd years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.