Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

BUPA International

BUPA International

Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BUPA International

Hi, does anyone insured through BUPA International? I was reading the papers and could not get it : do I need to call BUPA to get autorisation number before going to the doctor here in AD? Or do I need to contact here the local company (in my case Oman insurance), so, I can not just show up and see a doc? Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:10 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUPA International

Originally Posted by n1na
Hi, does anyone insured through BUPA International? I was reading the papers and could not get it : do I need to call BUPA to get autorisation number before going to the doctor here in AD? Or do I need to contact here the local company (in my case Oman insurance), so, I can not just show up and see a doc? Thanks
Just show up and see the Dr the hospital/Dr's will advise you on the cost. With bupa you now have to pay first and claim it back.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:19 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Just show up and see the Dr the hospital/Dr's will advise you on the cost. With bupa you now have to pay first and claim it back.
That is who my Meds are going to be with, that's a bit worrying is that for all hospital/doctor and surgery etc.

Are BUPA having problems also???
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:33 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

I use Bupa International and have found them very good to be honest. I dislodged two discs in my back this time last year, and had numerous chiropractor sessions aswell as CT scan, which I paid for first, and then sent the claim to BUPA.

They settled within around 2 weeks, without a problem

Was previously with PPP in the UK, and it was always a case of havng to get their approval for a treatment / doctor / hospital etc, and then you still had to pay first and reclaim, so no different
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:29 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
That is who my Meds are going to be with, that's a bit worrying is that for all hospital/doctor and surgery etc.

Are BUPA having problems also???
They are good dosent take long to get money back my soon to be ex hubby had a heart attack a few weeks back and had to cough up first before he left was a bit stressfull for him but he is still here...
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:33 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
I use Bupa International and have found them very good to be honest. I dislodged two discs in my back this time last year, and had numerous chiropractor sessions aswell as CT scan, which I paid for first, and then sent the claim to BUPA.

They settled within around 2 weeks, without a problem

Was previously with PPP in the UK, and it was always a case of havng to get their approval for a treatment / doctor / hospital etc, and then you still had to pay first and reclaim, so no different
..that's good to know they pay up quickly. Been with BUPA International (they are associated with HBA in Australia) for over 2 years...never used them yet but nice to know they will pay up (touch wood).
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:49 am
Here comes the Sun

Originally Posted by MacScot
..that's good to know they pay up quickly. Been with BUPA International (they are associated with HBA in Australia) for over 2 years...never used them yet but nice to know they will pay up (touch wood).
Yeah just a shame the private heathcare over here is so good....
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:07 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Yeah just a shame the private heathcare over here is so good....
I know a man that knows a man if you know what I mean
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Regarding costs, I think there is a possibility that BUPA pays ddirectly. But before going to see a doctor do I need to let BUPA know tha I am going? They have written that I need to contact them and explain my condition and get autorisation number. But if I just need to go, do I have to call UK first all the time? Or see the doctor, pay the bill and send it to BUPA?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

For individual plans, you usually have to pay yourself and claim back for GP and outpatient appointments. For planned treatements, such as surgery, you can agree direct billing.

I really don't understand why people go directly to BUPA for individual plans when you can use other companies that are just as good (with very comprehensive plans) for less.

-
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:02 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
For individual plans, you usually have to pay yourself and claim back for GP and outpatient appointments. For planned treatements, such as surgery, you can agree direct billing.

I really don't understand why people go directly to BUPA for individual plans when you can use other companies that are just as good (with very comprehensive plans) for less.

-
...are you talking about other private health companies in the UAE or others that have global health care plans ?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:04 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
...are you talking about other private health companies in the UAE or others that have global health care plans ?
International plans.

Others offer better value for money on a like for like basis.

-
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

BUPA was not our choice, it is my DH company choice, so we have to use it
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Tigger123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have Bupa International insurance and i've found it to be very good. They do have direct billing with the American Hospital which is probably one of the better hospitals in a mediocre health care system. When paying and claiming have found them prompt and pay in full unlike some other insurance companies who will only pay a percentage if you use a medical facility out with the network.
I work in health care and I would say that Bupa are one of the best insurance companies to be with. They approve treatment quickly and there's no faffing about unlike some...
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

PTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the rough

BUPA was not our choice, it is my DH company choice, so we have to use it

Hi there,

We too have BUPA with my husband's company and for outpatient treatments we pay ourselves then hubbie submits claim form to accounts department of his firm and we get the cash back within a few days.

Pretty much the same for 'planned treatments'...or births anyway. With the birth of our son we simply got all the paperwork done by the hospital, got an invoice from them as well, hubbie submitted it to work, they produced a cheque and voila we happily left the hospital with our newborn baby.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.