Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

BSAK or Al Yasmina?

BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:24 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Which is best for Secondary school? And would be interested in hearing any of your experiences with them.....please. Thanks.
LaylaD is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:54 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

where do you live. i have kids in bsak for last 10 years, obviously sch has been around 40 odd years! al yasmina has only been going for 3. know a lot of peeps there too. al yasmina doesnt do all years yet whereby bsak goes all the way to sixth form. the factor that would be important too is where you live. i have to drive from off island to bsak which only takes me 20 mins but it would be easier if the drive was only 5 mins!
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:00 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

aldar runs al yasmina and the guy in charge of the education is the ex-bsak headteacher. the headteacher of al yasmina is an ex secondary headteacher of bsak. they are basically the same.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:03 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
where do you live. i have kids in bsak for last 10 years, obviously sch has been around 40 odd years! al yasmina has only been going for 3. know a lot of peeps there too. al yasmina doesnt do all years yet whereby bsak goes all the way to sixth form. the factor that would be important too is where you live. i have to drive from off island to bsak which only takes me 20 mins but it would be easier if the drive was only 5 mins!
Thanks...
Do you think that the quality of the teaching at al yasmina is equal to BSAK and what about after school activities?

I see the GCSE results for BSAK are quite good but I suppose al yasmina doesnt have that history yet.

Is the al yasmina house more multi-national students or mostly brits ?

we might be in al raha gardens or Al reef out by the airport
i was going to use the school bus service for either school. are these areas very far to BSAK?
LaylaD is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:06 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

do u have places? as that may make your decision.

al yasmina is only 3 years old so yes no history, but its basicially the same as bsak a lot of their teachers/heads etc. there are people that live at al reef and commute to bsak its a long way and as they have 4 kids i think they have sponsored a driver to ease the burden a little. al yasmina will be the same as bsak lots of different nationalities. i commute from kcb to bsak in 20 mins to sch a little longer because of the roadworks on way back. bsak dont run buses, but buses do get organised from off island, but doubt from al reef. they are coming from mangrove/officers city and kca, but if you are going to live in al raha say then yasmina is 5 mins away. aldar do buses even to kcb now.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:11 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Millsyisland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 897
Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

If you'll be living off-island it'll be easier to get to Yasmina as opposed to BSAK (Busybee - 20 minutes from off-island - is that even this week with the Arab schools back??).

I looked at both for my son, but opted for BSAK in the end - Yasmina came across to me as more of a business/money-making exercise (which it is) and feared this would be to the detriment of the schooling.

That's just my opinion though, I know of parents that send their kids there and are happy with the school.
Millsyisland is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:21 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
do u have places? as that may make your decision.

al yasmina is only 3 years old so yes no history, but its basicially the same as bsak a lot of their teachers/heads etc. there are people that live at al reef and commute to bsak its a long way and as they have 4 kids i think they have sponsored a driver to ease the burden a little. al yasmina will be the same as bsak lots of different nationalities. i commute from kcb to bsak in 20 mins to sch a little longer because of the roadworks on way back. bsak dont run buses, but buses do get organised from off island, but doubt from al reef. they are coming from mangrove/officers city and kca, but if you are going to live in al raha say then yasmina is 5 mins away. aldar do buses even to kcb now.
al yasmina have offered a place but only for one child with no guarantee the others will get in for primary

BSAK we are waitlisted but they said if one gets in the others are prioritised for primary places

i would prefer everyone to go to one school but maybe that's not possible in Abu Dhabi

I cant imagine that BSAk dont have a bus service

what is the commute time from Al reef to al yasmina and to BSAK? We are tempted to live there because we think the rents in AD are insane

But if its soo inconvenient than maybe al raha is better
LaylaD is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:26 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by Millsyisland View Post
If you'll be living off-island it'll be easier to get to Yasmina as opposed to BSAK (Busybee - 20 minutes from off-island - is that even this week with the Arab schools back??).

I looked at both for my son, but opted for BSAK in the end - Yasmina came across to me as more of a business/money-making exercise (which it is) and feared this would be to the detriment of the schooling.

That's just my opinion though, I know of parents that send their kids there and are happy with the school.
I know what you mean- currently my kids are at a not for profit /British embassy type school here in Doha so we were a bit wary of al yasmina being part of the whole ALDAR group thing

Still there isnt much choice - we have been offered the place there and not BSAK yet

I dont know what the chances are of tranferring BSAK after enrolling children at al yasmina for a term or 2

do you know anyone who has done that?
LaylaD is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:01 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Millsyisland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 897
Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

My son has started in FS2 at BSAK this year, having applied for FS1 mid-term last year but him not getting in.

We therefore put an early application in for the 2010 term and managed to get him a place.

I would suggest keeping him/her/them on the waiting list at BSAK if that's your preferred choice and hope that a place or places become available, as you say, once one gets in, your other kids leap up the waiting list.

BSAK generally has a good reputation and to me felt like a 'proper' British school - not from a snobby point-of-view (alright, maybe a little), but more from the fact that we're likely to return to the UK while the kids are still at school age, so we need to try to minimise any differences between schooling here and schooling there.

Of course, moving them from one school to another is not only a bit disruptive for them, but also adds to the costs with all the enrolment/application fees.
Millsyisland is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:39 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by Millsyisland View Post
If you'll be living off-island it'll be easier to get to Yasmina as opposed to BSAK (Busybee - 20 minutes from off-island - is that even this week with the Arab schools back??).

I looked at both for my son, but opted for BSAK in the end - Yasmina came across to me as more of a business/money-making exercise (which it is) and feared this would be to the detriment of the schooling.

That's just my opinion though, I know of parents that send their kids there and are happy with the school.
yep 20 mins for me thats because i leave at 6.40 which gets me in by just after 7 and even then the road is quite full, but not as full if i leave it another 5 or even 10 mins later in the day. so they get there in plenty of time for 7.20 and gives a bit of leaway if there is a crash on the wacky races.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:40 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by LaylaD View Post
al yasmina have offered a place but only for one child with no guarantee the others will get in for primary

BSAK we are waitlisted but they said if one gets in the others are prioritised for primary places

i would prefer everyone to go to one school but maybe that's not possible in Abu Dhabi

I cant imagine that BSAk dont have a bus service

what is the commute time from Al reef to al yasmina and to BSAK? We are tempted to live there because we think the rents in AD are insane

But if its soo inconvenient than maybe al raha is better
as i said bsak do not run the buses themselves, it done privately. havent heard of any from al reef, they do one bus to kca and the mangrove bus was done privately by the parents themselves. aldar do do buses. commute from al reef to yasmina would be 15 mins but al reef to bsak would be at least 30 mins.

yes the rents are insane but they are much better than last year.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:43 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by Millsyisland View Post
My son has started in FS2 at BSAK this year, having applied for FS1 mid-term last year but him not getting in.

We therefore put an early application in for the 2010 term and managed to get him a place.

I would suggest keeping him/her/them on the waiting list at BSAK if that's your preferred choice and hope that a place or places become available, as you say, once one gets in, your other kids leap up the waiting list.

BSAK generally has a good reputation and to me felt like a 'proper' British school - not from a snobby point-of-view (alright, maybe a little), but more from the fact that we're likely to return to the UK while the kids are still at school age, so we need to try to minimise any differences between schooling here and schooling there.

Of course, moving them from one school to another is not only a bit disruptive for them, but also adds to the costs with all the enrolment/application fees.
bsak has been around a long time, yasmina not. but aldar run yasmina on a not-for profit basis so i believe, bsak is non for profit, but they have raised their fees for the last few years, they are now in the process of raising money for phase 4 so there is construction work going on at the mo and a bit of shuffling the kids around too.#

if you were to go back to uk then it wouldnt matter if it was from bsak or yasmina they are the same, no difference.

yes if you get one in you go up the list. it does depend on what passport you hold too.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:45 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by LaylaD View Post
I know what you mean- currently my kids are at a not for profit /British embassy type school here in Doha so we were a bit wary of al yasmina being part of the whole ALDAR group thing

Still there isnt much choice - we have been offered the place there and not BSAK yet

I dont know what the chances are of tranferring BSAK after enrolling children at al yasmina for a term or 2

do you know anyone who has done that?
yes people have had their children in yasmina for a year and then transferred when a place becomes available.

there are rules tho that you can only change curriculums mid of nov and you can only then change schs mid feb, after those points you are stuck until new academic year in sept.
busybee2 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:45 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
bsak has been around a long time, yasmina not. but aldar run yasmina on a not-for profit basis so i believe, bsak is non for profit, but they have raised their fees for the last few years, they are now in the process of raising money for phase 4 so there is construction work going on at the mo and a bit of shuffling the kids around too.#

if you were to go back to uk then it wouldnt matter if it was from bsak or yasmina they are the same, no difference.

yes if you get one in you go up the list. it does depend on what passport you hold too.
Passports?? I asked them that blatantly as I know in Doha they do that
Mine are british- I assume that's a good thing?
LaylaD is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:48 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
LaylaD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BSAK or Al Yasmina?

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
yes people have had their children in yasmina for a year and then transferred when a place becomes available.

there are rules tho that you can only change curriculums mid of nov and you can only then change schs mid feb, after those points you are stuck until new academic year in sept.
really wow thats good to know at least it has been done...if ppl are doing that BSAK is #1 by a lot of people
i wonder if anyone has done it the other way round BSAK to al yasmina
LaylaD is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.