Brunch

Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:21 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brunch

Hi Guys

Where's the best place to have a buffet brunch on Friday's??

Zannie xx
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:06 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brunch

Originally Posted by Zannie
Hi Guys

Where's the best place to have a buffet brunch on Friday's??

Zannie xx
Do you want that in alphabetical order?

Tons, name a price, with/without kids, location, roast or traditional or other, all inclusive?????

Would narrow it down a bit.

Personally if I feel like a Friday Roast, I go to Nad al Sheba, expect tons of food, great meat and hard veg, apple crumble and custard. (cheap)

All inclusive Fairmont (Spectrum on One) all inclusive...sorry can't remember price, bubbly included, great brunch and whatever you fancy. (average)

Burj al Arab more local than traditional, great views, food excellent, no atmosphere, slow service and expensive if drinking.

I am sure there will be somebody here who can enlighten you further.

I do know that the Madinat Mina down stairs is fab,,,,have to ask sassy about that one
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:04 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Burj al Arab more local than traditional
Since when? (Not disputing - just wondered if it's changed in the past couple of years - I haven't been for a longn while and it used to be pretty cosmopolitan).

For champagne boozers - and even non-drinkers - the Fairmont is an eight-star experience (take that, Burj). The dessert area in itself is a literal avalanche of delight - for god's sake don't bulk out on any crap like rice/bread/spuds beforehand.

Here are some tips I once posted on buffeting:

1. Don't bother with stuffing down enormous, fat, cold, bland prawns, just because they're expensive and luxurious in your home country. Plates of the pink crustaceans will be at every buffet you ever attend, and they'll never taste as exciting as the ones in Marks & Spencer sandwiches. Ditto smoked salmon.

2. No matter how much you eat, and no matter sick and overfed you feel, you will be hungry again a few hours later. And you will curse yourself for not eating more. Because of this, if you can secrete items away (a cunningly folded A4 press release makes a great emergency cake box) by all means do so. After all, you're allowed to eat as much as you want, so legally and morally, the entire buffet is your property.

3. Never bother "leaving a space for pudding" unless you have thoroughly checked out the buffet first. Only one buffet in twenty provides edible deserts. After a while, you will be able to spot false-mousse and powder cake at twenty paces.

4. Umm Ali: avoid. Don't dare even to lift the lid.

Further to this, I would add:

5. Eat masses small, exquisite things - rare things - things you would not normally find in the supermarket or be able to cook yourself. Better for your money's worth.

6. It is possible to extend your eating experience by alternating puddings and savouries. Have starters and a reasonable sized main course, then have some sweet things. Rest, and go back to savoury. Rinse, repeat. It really does work.

7. Nevereverevereverever eat appreciable quantities of rice. Unless you are at a Dh10 Indian buffet. Or potatoes. Or pasta. Or bread. It is just a waste.

8. Don't fill your stomach up with liquid too quickly, unless it's US$50,000-a-bottle Cristal. Sip slow and smooth. Drink at home before you leave for the buffet to alleviate thirst: it gives a chance for your stomach to get empty again.

9. Your order is your own. No one's forcing you to start with starters, then mains, etc. Begin with roast beef or salmon-en-croute if you so wish. You can always go back to canapes and spring rolls later. The French eat salad as a middle course anyway.

10. There's a fine line between "letting things settle" between courses, and triggering your full-o-meter. To actually get hungry again, you'll need to be there for hours. I recommend having a fairly rapid stuff to begin with, to get as much in before the full-o-meter rings. It's supposed to be about twenty minutes after you finish eating (which is why dieters are advised to wait 30 min if they are still hungry after a meal). So you have a twenty minute window before your appetite goes.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:51 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by secretdubai
Since when? (Not disputing - just wondered if it's changed in the past couple of years - I haven't been for a longn while and it used to be pretty cosmopolitan).

For champagne boozers - and even non-drinkers - the Fairmont is an eight-star experience (take that, Burj). The dessert area in itself is a literal avalanche of delight - for god's sake don't bulk out on any crap like rice/bread/spuds beforehand.

Here are some tips I once posted on buffeting:

1. Don't bother with stuffing down enormous, fat, cold, bland prawns, just because they're expensive and luxurious in your home country. Plates of the pink crustaceans will be at every buffet you ever attend, and they'll never taste as exciting as the ones in Marks & Spencer sandwiches. Ditto smoked salmon.

2. No matter how much you eat, and no matter sick and overfed you feel, you will be hungry again a few hours later. And you will curse yourself for not eating more. Because of this, if you can secrete items away (a cunningly folded A4 press release makes a great emergency cake box) by all means do so. After all, you're allowed to eat as much as you want, so legally and morally, the entire buffet is your property.

3. Never bother "leaving a space for pudding" unless you have thoroughly checked out the buffet first. Only one buffet in twenty provides edible deserts. After a while, you will be able to spot false-mousse and powder cake at twenty paces.

4. Umm Ali: avoid. Don't dare even to lift the lid.

Further to this, I would add:

5. Eat masses small, exquisite things - rare things - things you would not normally find in the supermarket or be able to cook yourself. Better for your money's worth.

6. It is possible to extend your eating experience by alternating puddings and savouries. Have starters and a reasonable sized main course, then have some sweet things. Rest, and go back to savoury. Rinse, repeat. It really does work.

7. Nevereverevereverever eat appreciable quantities of rice. Unless you are at a Dh10 Indian buffet. Or potatoes. Or pasta. Or bread. It is just a waste.

8. Don't fill your stomach up with liquid too quickly, unless it's US$50,000-a-bottle Cristal. Sip slow and smooth. Drink at home before you leave for the buffet to alleviate thirst: it gives a chance for your stomach to get empty again.

9. Your order is your own. No one's forcing you to start with starters, then mains, etc. Begin with roast beef or salmon-en-croute if you so wish. You can always go back to canapes and spring rolls later. The French eat salad as a middle course anyway.

10. There's a fine line between "letting things settle" between courses, and triggering your full-o-meter. To actually get hungry again, you'll need to be there for hours. I recommend having a fairly rapid stuff to begin with, to get as much in before the full-o-meter rings. It's supposed to be about twenty minutes after you finish eating (which is why dieters are advised to wait 30 min if they are still hungry after a meal). So you have a twenty minute window before your appetite goes.
WOW!! Thanks guys, I'm impressed! I won't be eating for a week before going to one of these wonderful brunch buffets... It's going to have to be an elasticated waist moment...ha..ha...

Zannie xx
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:19 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=secretdubai]Since when? (Not disputing - just wondered if it's changed in the past couple of years - I haven't been for a longn while and it used to be pretty cosmopolitan).

Been recently and everytime disappointed, although what they do offer is 1st class. To me Brunch is Brekkie/Lunch with extras thrown in......not India currys and Chinese noodles......Dim Sum wud be nice I just find it a little too much lunch I suppose.