brmm brmm

Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brmm brmm

Originally Posted by _jon_
Interested to see why 'No American' is mentioned. I've always had a soft spot for the Ford Explorer and thought they were pretty bullet-proof.
Because they're shit, unreliable and tend to fall apart as well as fall over....at least you don't have the rust to worry about
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point

KK as per the jeep my husband's colleague, who knows a lot about cars, told us not to go for jeeps as apparently the clutch goes very easily and it will cost you and arm and a leg to replace.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

All of the Jeep bashing is pretty much rubbish KK.

My old man bought a brand new one in the 90's, it's an N reg.

To date it's had new tyres and a new battery. It's been driven around the UK, to Barcelona and back twice and a few years ago we drove it to Crete. It's never broken down, never had any issues and is great fun.

That aside, I wouldn't have one as an everyday car, because that's not what it is.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: brmm brmm

I have actually worked in an automotive company where I was the Test Engineer for a load of electronic automotive components back in 2003-2006. I was in charge of a test lab where I worked on both product design testing and production quality testing.

I worked on some American components for mainstream US cars such as GM, Chrysler, Ford US etc (not jeep admittedly) and tested to US typical specifications. I also worked on components tested with European test specifications such as Porsche, Vauxhall/Opel, Fiat, Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes. (I did not test to Japanese specifications, but they were close to European standard and exceeded in some areas.). I spent a fair bit of time in the USA and Europe. European specifications are far more stringent and demanding than any US spec.

Typically, the US bits of kit would normally be expected to last about 20-50% of the endurance life of any of any similar European counterparts. They were made cheap and with a short expected lifespan as Americans want cheap cars and expect to change every few years. European cars were designed to last for many years. Japanese cars are the same.

Fords made in Europe such as Mondeo’s/Focus’s are fine, but I would never buy a Ford US/Mexico car. I am also sure that BMW’s made in the USA are made to European standards!

I would never buy an American car, from my experience. Nothing I have heard out here or seen fitted to their cars will change my mind!!

You can get the odd good one though!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Bought soft top Rubicon Wrangler in 2005. Paid 50,000dhs. Could sell it today for 30,000dhs minimum.

It's not a car, it's part of the family. It's loud, hot, annoying, uncompromising, selfish... but bloody lovely.

Can't say what would work for you, but I do think when a car clicks with you the specs etc fade away...

The minute you see the right car... cliche.... but it is love at first sight. Go visit all the dealers and check them all out.

Not very sensible advice, but it worked for me. Still happily married to daft old Jeep....
Absolutely agree. Mrs DB got a new Wrangler Sport hard top in Kuwait in 2007. When we moved to AD 2 years ago she couldn't be parted from it so had it imported. Only recently she started doing long milage and yes, the ride and noise are a bit uncomfortable on long journeys, but otherwise she loved it and was heartbroken as the new owners drove away in it!!! (Sold it for Dhs 45,000). Only problem in that time was a dodgy computer. Brilliant vehicles, chunky, simple and fun to drive.

By the way, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought it new 2 years ago and only had to change the tyres. Great car.

DB
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

In view of your home and work proximity to regular taxi stops, I would think carefully before taking the plunge and buying a car. What happens if you suddenly want or need to leave Dubai for good? It's just another financial liability on your shoulders. Also, you already know the standard of driving here and what the Police can do even if an accident is not your fault. Then there is the cost of maintenance, insurance, annual registration, fuel and parking. It all adds up...if Lionheart was around, he would probably agree.

Last edited by mentalist; Oct 18th 2011 at 7:50 am.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I've a big Jeep. It's great car from October to April. Feels very solid. Country of origin Austria!! No mechanical issues...

but every f**king year the AC plays up so we'll not be getting another whilst in Middle East.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

mentalist- to be honest thats probably what has stopped me doing so so far but I'm decided to stay a while longer, up until now I've held back for that reason and always have been ready to jump ship, but I think I'll be staying here for a few years- and I spend 100 aed a day on taxis so would cost me about the same over a 3 year period and would allow me to go out exploring on my own rather than relying on friends to chauffer me about.

The only sudden reason I would have to leave is if I was up the duff which is about as likely as me streaking through MOE eating a bacon sandwich. Even if I lost my job I'd go freelance immediately and would have work available so the worst case scenario isn't really that bad.(inshallah)
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

P A J E R O

They are shit. But, it won't break down and you can always sell them on.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
P A J E R O

They are shit. But, it won't break down and you can always sell them on.
Don't forget the first rule of buying cars out here...No matter what it is.

Don't buy it off an local...
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse- I'm sorry but I care too much about what it looks like
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Millhouse- I'm sorry but I care too much about what it looks like
you think a wrangler looks nice?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

millhouse- yep- they look cool- I have weird taste I guess.

I would go for a mini but everyone has told me to avoid them out here! (I prefer the original minis anyway)
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough

Nissan Murano
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Kittykat, unless you're buying a car as a second car / toy, there are two Golden Rules:

1 Reliability is king. Even though you won't actually have to rely on it (in that you have easy access to taxis), there are few things worse in life than a car that breaks down. Which cars don't break down? German and Japanese (and increasingly Korean).

2 If its not your sole mode of transport (again, you have easy access to taxis), get what'll make you happy. However, you'll have to weigh up the potential unreliability of a Jeep against what you perceive as its sex appeal. (And do have a test drive--it won't be good for your sore arse or twingy shoulder.)

If using my own money, I'd always go for Japanese or German, and in this environment probably Japanese because the a/c has been designed with similar conditions in mind.

I can see you in this, though...

brmm brmm-mustang.bmp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.