Reload this Page >

British trained midwife

British trained midwife

Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

REUBANZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British trained midwife

Calling all midwives in Saudi!!
What do those of you who trained in the UK (or elsewhere) think of midwifery in Saudi? I'm wanting to save money for the future and as long as I'm safe and reasonably comfortable, I think I'd be able to adapt well. It may well be frustrating not to be able to practice as you would at home but then it's a different country and life will be different on every level. I'm interested in hearing from those in the know as to what I'd be letting myself in for!!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British trained midwife

Nurses that I knew in KSA either adapted and enjoyed it, or hated it from Day One and left ASAP. Only one way to find out ! I do not rmemebr meeting any midwives but there is certaibly a great range of medical personnel from many countries.

Some of the hospitals are VERY modern. I had open-heart surgery there which, to my surrpise, and much to the dismay of my enemies, was a success ! My second daughter was born there - at Ghassan Pharaon in Jeddah.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for your reply. I'm sure everyone was delighted your op was a success!!! Hope you're now well recovered, must've been terrifying!!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

I met an irish girl who worked as a midwife in Saudi and said it was so-so. She explained that she is mainly a nurse now rather than a midwife and mostly just prepares the woman before the doctors arrive i.e goes into the rooms and tells them to cover there faces. She has had a few incidents where men look down on her but in the hospital she works in the Saudis can be quite pleasant. I think the main thing is money. From what i gather its very well payed and her and her friends travel all over the middle east and asia in there time off as every second weekend is a long one
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Yes I mainly want to save for the future, so I think it's the place to go for a year or two. Thanks for that
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Things change quickly. I left Jeddah in 2002 and went to the other side of KSA (Dhahran).
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who was a Midwife in Saudi, she left and never practiced midwifery again.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

"It may well be frustrating not to be able to practice as you would at home but then it's a different country"

I am not a nurse but have worked in hospitals here and this is how it is. You do it their way and if you want a happy life don't buck the system or try to "fix" things. As for mid-wifery, they seem to do a lot of c-sections here.
Have a look at King Faisal Hospital, it's the best place I am aware of for a Western nurse in Jeddah.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I had a friend who was a Midwife in Saudi, she left and never practiced midwifery again.
Did she marry a Saudi Prince then? There could be umpteen reasons for her not returning to her chosen profession, not all being necessarily bad.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

C-sections are very very popular in Saudi due to the nature of emmm wanting to keep everything intact for there husbands. Brutal i know but true. Also a huge number of woman get reconstructive surgery. Another high is woman who go through treatments of IVF. This is partly due to reproducing with other family members