Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British Schools in Dubai

British Schools in Dubai

Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: British Schools in Dubai

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Its Gems International
Got a feelings it's going to be called Gems Wellington Al Khail (to add some confusion to the other Wellington....)

I know some people are going across to start there September.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this vision of the Ranches as this heavily securitised fortress plopped down in the middle of the dreary desert. And every morning at exactly 7:30 the monkey guards from Oz raise the drawbridges and out comes an endless convoy of Pajeros and Prados and at 6:30 pm the gates are opened again and the Pajeros and Prados return back to the safe comforts of their Barratt 'executive' housing estate surrounded by the invisible but impregnable walls of smug upwardly mobile middle classness, Middle East style, populated by people who moved halfway across the world only to duplicate exactly what they left behind, except with more sun.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Tock - A lot of kids at the Retches go to the school at Suicide Oasis. We send ours to DBS - the communte is quick but it can take 30 mins to leave the Retches at the moment due to the traffic at the exit gate.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I have this vision of the Ranches as this heavily securitised fortress plopped down in the middle of the dreary desert. And every morning at exactly 7:30 the monkey guards from Oz raise the drawbridges and out comes an endless convoy of Pajeros and Prados and at 6:30 pm the gates are opened again and the Pajeros and Prados return back to the safe comforts of their Barratt 'executive' housing estate surrounded by the invisible but impregnable walls of smug upwardly mobile middle classness, Middle East style, populated by people who moved halfway across the world only to duplicate exactly what they left behind, except with more sun.
You enjoyed it there then?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:21 am
Account Closed

It's pretty.

I was only on the Ranches a handful of times. Saheel and Savannah are nice with the modernist villas. But could never figure out why people were willing to live so far out and not in Jumeira or Umm Suqeim.

Originally Posted by Scamp
You enjoyed it there then?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:35 am
Account Closed

It's pretty.

I was only on the Ranches a handful of times. Saheel and Savannah are nice with the modernist villas. But could never figure out why people were willing to live so far out and not in Jumeira or Umm Suqeim.
I liked the villa I went in (to buy a sofa), but it was a bit like being in a posh butlins to me.

Still, villa in the ranches beats a 1-bed (even if it's massive).
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Tock - A lot of kids at the Retches go to the school at Suicide Oasis. We send ours to DBS - the communte is quick but it can take 30 mins to leave the Retches at the moment due to the traffic at the exit gate.
Cheers MH,

we think we have the place confirmed on the Al Khail building site so will probably take it to save the hassle and then book Junior Tock and Mini Tock down for something else next September when we know the ropes a little better.
Must have seen 10 villas now on the Reems, most of which offered nothing special for the price. Just trying to negotiate on white goods now with one landlord on Reem 1 which if he is ok with, will put an end to this house hunting nightmare. Think it must be the biggest garden plot on the Reems and all astroturf so no watering yay. I will have to mow someone elses garden to keep my Gucci lawn mower in working order.
Fortunately Mrs Tock will be stuck in traffic on the kids run so it will keep her out of trouble and mischief
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty.

Its 35 minute hassle free drive to DAFZA from the Ranches going against the traffic which felt ideal really. I didn't find anything worthwhile in Umm Suqueim or Jumeira in my budget but guess if you have a decent allowance then nicer places would be available. Had a drive down through the Jumeiras last weekend and it does like nice with close access to the beaches etc
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Truth of the matter is that most of the Ranches in terms of number of properties are 3 bed townhouses that are nothing remotely executive. Just normal small houses around 2400 sq ft with nothing smug about them, just a mass of kids bikes etc. I think it would be very hard to think anyone would have any one-up-manship about living in a Reem. However I do have a mate who I worked with in Oz who lives in a 7 bed overlooking the golf course and he is extremely smug with his lot in life. Good on him.
I haven't seen a maid in the communal pools and the only downside of the place is that its not as white as I thought it would be but hey ho, Dubai is not Bahrain and we must move with the times
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Well, you're right and wrong.

Right in that the Reem villas are small.

Wrong in that they're around 2400 sqft. That's Dubai exaggeration for you. The truth is probably 1,500 to 1,800. Agents and developers will tell you the property is X sqft but that includes carports, terraces, balconies etc and even then it's being generous.

In the UK would 2,400 be considered small?

Truth of the matter is that most of the Ranches in terms of number of properties are 3 bed townhouses that are nothing remotely executive. Just normal small houses around 2400 sq ft with nothing smug about them, just a mass of kids bikes etc. I think it would be very hard to think anyone would have any one-up-manship about living in a Reem. However I do have a mate who I worked with in Oz who lives in a 7 bed overlooking the golf course and he is extremely smug with his lot in life. Good on him.
I haven't seen a maid in the communal pools and the only downside of the place is that its not as white as I thought it would be but hey ho, Dubai is not Bahrain and we must move with the times
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Millhouse - what's the traffic/ exit like from AR heading the other way towards Sports City/ Motor City, and how long does it take? Thx
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, you're right and wrong.

Right in that the Reem villas are small.

Wrong in that they're around 2400 sqft. That's Dubai exaggeration for you. The truth is probably 1,500 to 1,800. Agents and developers will tell you the property is X sqft but that includes carports, terraces, balconies etc and even then it's being generous.

In the UK would 2,400 be considered small?
Interesting that, more sneakiness to add to the already growing list. My already healthy disregard for housing agents has just got longer. I had one ranting that I should sign for a toilet of a place because he had been good enough to get me a viewing lmao. 10000 AED agent fee for 5 minutes work, now that is a good hourly rate.
Regardless of whether 2400 is small; the Reem townhouses are no bigger than a Jones home type Semi in the UK hence they are nowt to get snooty about whereas the 7 bedroom over the golf course is
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Millhouse - what's the traffic/ exit like from AR heading the other way towards Sports City/ Motor City, and how long does it take? Thx
Obviously I don't live there yet but my mate who does says the problem is actually getting from one end of the Ranches to the other compounded by the thousands of speed humps.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Given the exorbitant costs at Al Khail Gems, I would hope that the Rif Raf going to the cheap schools will give way on the AR roads and let Mrs Tock and her Expedition through
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I leave saheel1 gate before 0700 and there is no problems at all. Behind my desk at Jafza in 20mins.

Get to saheel1 fate at 0705 and prepare to wait for 20mins as the school run is in full flow.

I love the ranches, wouldn't like at the reem side though...its just too "council". Saheel is the best area.

My daughter has just finished FS2 at Gems wellington DSO and so far it's been great.

Agree with milhouse though, people do tend to look at schools as a form of social standing with wepton right up there
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I don't live there yet but my mate who does says the problem is actually getting from one end of the Ranches to the other compounded by the thousands of speed humps.
I leave at the main Jess gate at 7.30AM. I have never had to queue.

Mrs Millhouse queues from 7.00AM at the saheel gate. To the point where she now drives around global village - 20km extra, takes less time and se is moving all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.