Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British Schools in Dubai

British Schools in Dubai

Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Schools in Dubai

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Why those 3 schools? They would be down towards bottom of my list
Because they are close together and near lots of places to live.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:53 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

But as OP has expressed interest in Wellington and Kings I can't see that those schools will be acceptable. Personally I would find school first and house second. Main problem is going to be FS1 place. Maybe might be best to keep youngest in a good FS1 nursery and try for FS2 place at jebel Ali or Dess - but I have a feeling places for sept 2014 have already been allocated for these (both these schools do not have FS1). If you can get eldest in you might get sibling priority for youngest - just my thoughts though
Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think you're right, Fairydust. I was just looking for the option which had the most chance of success. Then again, if you are tenacious enough, I guess you could get a place anywhere... eventually.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
They would be down towards bottom of my list
Out of interest, Why?

I mean, all schools in Dubai are much of a muchness. A school is only as good as its teachers and they are all on three year contracts. As such, they work hard for the first year, coast the second and give up the in the third. Most have already resigned by April (so they don't lose their EOS benefits) and so you can pretty much write that last two terms off if you have a leaving 3rd year teacher.

Oh course there is Jess - the holy grail of schools that just fired all its PE staff for under-performance. So next year, that department will be run by unknown and FOB teachers.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:44 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Out of interest, Why?

I mean, all schools in Dubai are much of a muchness. A school is only as good as its teachers and they are all on three year contracts. As such, they work hard for the first year, coast the second and give up the in the third. Most have already resigned by April (so they don't lose their EOS benefits) and so you can pretty much write that last two terms off if you have a leaving 3rd year teacher.

Oh course there is Jess - the holy grail of schools that just fired all its PE staff for under-performance. So next year, that department will be run by unknown and FOB teachers.
Teachers at most schools are mainly on 2 year initial contracts followed by 1 year renewable. The average stay for a teacher is between 5 and 7 years.

JESS (Jumeirah) have not fired all of it's PE teachers. JESS Ranches did not renew their PE teachers contracts, apart from 1. 2 of the Ranches staff were leaving anyway. 1 of the staff moving to Ranches is an ex JESS PE teacher.

JESS is not the Holy Grail, it is just given this mantle by parents.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:07 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, Why?

Ok I came here 10 years ago when again as now places at schools were scarce we came looking for a year 2 place - nightmare ended up at Horizon - personally didn't gel with the holistic approach so moved to Wellington when that opened 2 years later first year was great, 2nd year got a teacher from NZ with no uk curriculum experience - things weren't good complained and was told leave if u don't like it! So did after 1 yr and 1 term got into Dess and never looked back. Now at DESC and standards are good. So I've had a wide range of experiences with different schools/ groups and would always go with non profit if u can get a place

Last edited by Fairydust; Apr 14th 2013 at 5:10 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

And one final question if I may.... Irrespective of the extortionate fees, is Repton a good school? And how far out is it from the likes of Meadows, etc (commute time) and/or Arabian Ranches..? Thanks!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

We've all heard horror stories about most of the schools, I can only speak from my own experience and say DESS & DESC were great for ours
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:11 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by MrBAH
And one final question if I may.... Irrespective of the extortionate fees, is Repton a good school? And how far out is it from the likes of Meadows, etc (commute time) and/or Arabian Ranches..? Thanks!
I've heard Repton is good in the early primary years not so great (or it wasn't) for secondary. Ranches to Repton probably 25 minutes not sure from Meadows. Closest to Repton would be The Villa or DSO.

Last edited by Fairydust; Apr 17th 2013 at 3:14 am.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBAH
lol. The Repton. Live the dream, Sunshine
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Out of interest, Why?

Mrs has only (and everyone else with her as far as I know) ever been on one year renewable contract. You get the one for next year in about Jan / Feb and if you don't, consider yourself jobless in the summer.

They have to state whether they are a yes/no/maybe before the contracts get issued, cue rumours between all the teachers that a maybe means you won't get renewed...obviously to find a new job means giving your current employer as reference and they will immediately get notified you've applied elsewhere = no contract renewed. Nightmare.

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Teachers at most schools are mainly on 2 year initial contracts followed by 1 year renewable. The average stay for a teacher is between 5 and 7 years.

JESS (Jumeirah) have not fired all of it's PE teachers. JESS Ranches did not renew their PE teachers contracts, apart from 1. 2 of the Ranches staff were leaving anyway. 1 of the staff moving to Ranches is an ex JESS PE teacher.

JESS is not the Holy Grail, it is just given this mantle by parents.
JESS have just employed a new bird from the UK, friend of my mrs, probably would.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to resurrect this thread as now we are in this boat.
Home will more than likely be Ghetto Ranches as MH referred to it. Went looking today and those in budget (180k) are tiny however that asides; Mrs T has only managed to get registered with the new GEMS on Al Khail road and after looking today its still 90% construction site. As their fees are 60K a year for a FS2 (reduced to 52K for one year only due to construction activities) this is not an ideal school as budget is 40k a year and I would like to get closer to it.
My colleague got his kids into Repton by paying a debenture but they are not taking anymore.
I am just trying to figure out when to approach some of the other schools mentioned as being good/crap in the previous postings. If people have places reserved at multiple schools and then only take their preferred option then when do these places actually become available ? Is there a cut off time before the term commences by which parents must have paid up and confirmed. I don't want to keep throwing out registration fees to each and every possibility but equally don't want to miss out on a place Junior Tock. Its time he went to school.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Just to resurrect this thread as now we are in this boat.
Home will more than likely be Ghetto Ranches as MH referred to it. Went looking today and those in budget (180k) are tiny however that asides; Mrs T has only managed to get registered with the new GEMS on Al Khail road and after looking today its still 90% construction site. As their fees are 60K a year for a FS2 (reduced to 52K for one year only due to construction activities) this is not an ideal school as budget is 40k a year and I would like to get closer to it.
My colleague got his kids into Repton by paying a debenture but they are not taking anymore.
I am just trying to figure out when to approach some of the other schools mentioned as being good/crap in the previous postings. If people have places reserved at multiple schools and then only take their preferred option then when do these places actually become available ? Is there a cut off time before the term commences by which parents must have paid up and confirmed. I don't want to keep throwing out registration fees to each and every possibility but equally don't want to miss out on a place Junior Tock. Its time he went to school.
What's the name of the new school on Al Khail Road you're referring to?? Is it Victory Heights Primary?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Its Gems International
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tock - A lot of kids at the Retches go to the school at Suicide Oasis. We send ours to DBS - the communte is quick but it can take 30 mins to leave the Retches at the moment due to the traffic at the exit gate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.