British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British Schooling Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-schooling-dubai-603899/)

mayapatel Apr 16th 2009 9:29 pm

British Schooling Dubai

Hi, I am new to this site and would be grateful for any advice regarding the schooling in Dubai. Our move to Dubai is happening swiftly and my husband is coming to Dubai in June to sort out schools. I have been doing my research and have enquired about places in most of the schools that follow the English Curriculum. My daughter turned 4 in Feb and I would really like her to attend JESS, DESS or any other top English schools. A lot of the schools seemed to have even closed waiting lists. Literally all of the schools are saying there are no places. I am getting worried as my daughter is very bright and don’t want her missing out on schooling.

Bob Apr 16th 2009 11:26 pm

Re: British Schooling Dubai

Welcome to BE....and have a search, a few threads on the subject...but yeah, not easy or cheap...

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2009 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mayapatel (Post 7486193)
Hi, I am new to this site and would be grateful for any advice regarding the schooling in Dubai. Our move to Dubai is happening swiftly and my husband is coming to Dubai in June to sort out schools. I have been doing my research and have enquired about places in most of the schools that follow the English Curriculum. My daughter turned 4 in Feb and I would really like her to attend JESS, DESS or any other top English schools. A lot of the schools seemed to have even closed waiting lists. Literally all of the schools are saying there are no places. I am getting worried as my daughter is very bright and don’t want her missing out on schooling.

DESS turned my 4 year old down because she couldn't read, you best get your daughter up to speed on War and Peace for her entrance exam. Where will you be living?

Madam Medusa Apr 17th 2009 6:53 am

you really should be looking at schools near to where you will be living...there are some schools with spaces for children your daughter's age, the new star international in umm sequim for example...and many of the others will probably have spaces at the end of the year when it's clear who is leaving and who isn't...you will need to get her name down on the waiting lists...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 17th 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7487017)
you really should be looking at schools near to where you will be living...there are some schools with spaces for children your daughter's age, the new star international in umm sequim for example...and many of the others will probably have spaces at the end of the year when it's clear who is leaving and who isn't...you will need to get her name down on the waiting lists...

MM, xx

waiting lists, it makes you laugh. Our school demanded 3500 dhs by the end of Jan to hold a place for September, no takers, so they reduced it to 500 dhs by Sunday. Even the receptionist told me they has less than half the school re registered for September. AND they have put the fees up.

gilly-beans Apr 17th 2009 8:52 pm

Wellington International School. Hah. What a joke. It looks brilliant. The facilities are amazing. But don't be fooled. Wellington started only a few years ago, and they just accept students when they apply. Wether they know their times table or not. Being a student at Wellington, I can tell you this: Don't bother. I feel, that since September 2008, I have only learnt trigonometry, though i'm not too good at it, and memorised a few words in Macbeth. I'm fed up with this school and i've made it quite obvious to my parents, who agree with me. We have applied for J.E.S.S. (Jumeirah English Speaking School), which apparently is brilliant, and D.C. (Dubai College), which is also said to be brilliant.
But I suppose education for a four year old isn't as important as when she will be older... but you don't want to start her off badly.
Just keep this in mind: WELLINGTON SUCKS!
^^ Peace... O_o
Gill.

TGFKASE Apr 18th 2009 12:39 am

Originally Posted by gilly-beans (Post 7489307)
Wellington International School. Hah. What a joke. It looks brilliant. The facilities are amazing. But don't be fooled. Wellington started only a few years ago, and they just accept students when they apply. Wether they know their times table or not. Being a student at Wellington, I can tell you this: Don't bother. I feel, that since September 2008, I have only learnt trigonometry, though i'm not too good at it, and memorised a few words in Macbeth. I'm fed up with this school and i've made it quite obvious to my parents, who agree with me. We have applied for J.E.S.S. (Jumeirah English Speaking School), which apparently is brilliant, and D.C. (Dubai College), which is also said to be brilliant.
But I suppose education for a four year old isn't as important as when she will be older... but you don't want to start her off badly.
Just keep this in mind: WELLINGTON SUCKS!
^^ Peace... O_o
Gill.

Jeez gilly, get off the fence..

Have to admit, WIS is pretty crap. My kids were there for the last year and I am moving them out.. Teachers who struggle to survive in the grammar school system in the UK, weak-as-piss year heads and a management who will listen and then do nothing...

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by gilly-beans (Post 7489307)
Being a student at Wellington

omg, gilly, how old are you then...???

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7490077)

MM, xx

12 :eek:

mayapatel Apr 18th 2009 7:40 am

Thank you so much for your replies. I think the issue we have is we want to live close to the school, but without knowing where we have a space its difficult. My daughter would have no clue on War and peace and she can't read either, so I guess that's out the window. Would be useful to have any views people have on the schools they send their children. Thanks for the reply on Wellington, i have heard similar things from others.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by mayapatel (Post 7490320)
Thank you so much for your replies. I think the issue we have is we want to live close to the school, but without knowing where we have a space its difficult. My daughter would have no clue on War and peace and she can't read either, so I guess that's out the window. Would be useful to have any views people have on the schools they send their children. Thanks for the reply on Wellington, i have heard similar things from others.

where is your husbands office and what budget do you have for accomodation? we can work from there on which schools are in your area. My Daughter is at Regent and she loves it, we are happy with our decision.

gilly-beans Apr 18th 2009 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7490077)

MM, xx

:huh: 12??
I'm 14.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by gilly-beans (Post 7490382)
I'm 14.

I was close :thumbup:

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by gilly-beans (Post 7490382)
I'm 14.

this really isn't a great forum for you to be on then...there is a teenage section, but i can't imagine there are many from the middle east in there...

MM, xx

grapefruit Apr 23rd 2009 8:52 pm

Assuming you want a UK curriculum school (although at that age I wouldn't be so worried - IBPYP or US would be good too), try one of the newer schools if the well-established ones are full.

Wellington Primary School - GEMS school (some don't like them), expensive, near Jumeirah 1 / Satwa
Star International School Jumeirah - not cheap but cheaper than WPS, in Umm Suqueim, worth considering
Star International School Mirdif - ditto but in Mirdif.