British School Riyadh

British School Riyadh

Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

lostinuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British School Riyadh

Hi folks,

considering moving to Riyadh?

Could anyone advise on the bets schools for my 14 and 8 year old children. Got to be to british standard as my son need to start his GCSC's.

Is ther any other school other than the British international school? and how easy it it to get places there?

I may move in March by hope for my family to move in June for next term.

I have been informed that there is a waiting list and they cannot provide assurance that a place can be offered. my dilema is that if i move there in March and sign the contract and then cannot get the place for the children i am stuck and there education is jepodised??

any assitance would be helpful. thanks
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British School Riyadh

Realistically , I would try and stick with the British International School Riyadh, they will follow the British curriculum and the kids will sit the GCSE's. I don't think they do the International GCSE's ( IG's ) , as do some international schools.

THere is the Multi National School. THis follows broadly an Australian system, but does offer kids going into Year 10, the option of sitting the British GCSE's. I'm not too sure of it's standards, so would advise you to keep pestering the BISR.

Going on your previous posts re compounds, the BISR is right next door to the Al Hamra compound, which a accommodates SABIC employees. A friend of mine has just been offered a post with Sabic, and he is looking at Arizona, Al Hamra and Kingdom compounds. All three of those are pretty close to the BISR.

Although the school may spout a waiting list, as you are British, your kids should be offered a priority place, so again, would suggest you keep on at them and explain your situation.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Realistically , I would try and stick with the British International School Riyadh, they will follow the British curriculum and the kids will sit the GCSE's. I don't think they do the International GCSE's ( IG's ) , as do some international schools.

THere is the Multi National School. THis follows broadly an Australian system, but does offer kids going into Year 10, the option of sitting the British GCSE's. I'm not too sure of it's standards, so would advise you to keep pestering the BISR.

Going on your previous posts re compounds, the BISR is right next door to the Al Hamra compound, which a accommodates SABIC employees. A friend of mine has just been offered a post with Sabic, and he is looking at Arizona, Al Hamra and Kingdom compounds. All three of those are pretty close to the BISR.

Although the school may spout a waiting list, as you are British, your kids should be offered a priority place, so again, would suggest you keep on at them and explain your situation.

Good Luck.
Thnaks for that nottmbantom.

It was interesting about the your friend, who has been offered a palce with sabic. Sabic said that there were no places at kingdom or arizona and were too expensive and therfore could not offer them. i think kindgdom is really a nice nice place. wht do think and how do i get them to give me place there?
thanks
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

My wife really rates Kingdom as well, I can't say as I've never been!

It's difficult when you're still in the UK and trying to negotiate, the friend who has been offered a SABIC job, is already here in Kingdom, and knows Riyadh relatively well, so it kind of puts him in a better position to negotiate his accommodation.

Keep negotiating with Sabic, but don't get too unreasonable, just explain the situation. To be fair, if you can't get Kingdom, Al Hamra is pretty nice place, and bang next door to the BISR.

Here is a link to an older thread showing some compound prices. It may well have changed a little, but gives you some good basic info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ices+in+riyadh

Good Luck.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
My wife really rates Kingdom as well, I can't say as I've never been!

It's difficult when you're still in the UK and trying to negotiate, the friend who has been offered a SABIC job, is already here in Kingdom, and knows Riyadh relatively well, so it kind of puts him in a better position to negotiate his accommodation.

Keep negotiating with Sabic, but don't get too unreasonable, just explain the situation. To be fair, if you can't get Kingdom, Al Hamra is pretty nice place, and bang next door to the BISR.

Here is a link to an older thread showing some compound prices. It may well have changed a little, but gives you some good basic info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ices+in+riyadh

Good Luck.
thanks notts