Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British School - question and conversion of currency question

British School - question and conversion of currency question

Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

tentativeadventurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British School - question and conversion of currency question

I have two questions- what's the British School in Abu Dhabi like- to work for?

And how reliable is the Abu Dhabi currency- does its conversion rate to pounds change a lot? At the moment because of currency conversion rates, the potential salary looks good but will this change with time?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:31 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British School - question and conversion of currency question

Originally Posted by tentativeadventurer
I have two questions- what's the British School in Abu Dhabi like- to work for?

And how reliable is the Abu Dhabi currency- does its conversion rate to pounds change a lot? At the moment because of currency conversion rates, the potential salary looks good but will this change with time?
Can't answer for the school but currency is pegged to the US dollar, so yes; it will go up and down like a whores knickers.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that analogy... made it nice and clear. In the past five years what's the worst it's been? At the moment you get about 5.3 Dirhams to £1

What's the highest it's been in your memory? Ever more than 8 Dirhams to £1?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

In my memory, around 7.3dhs to the pound, and that was in May last year.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:08 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scratcher
In my memory, around 7.3dhs to the pound, and that was in May last year.
Sat around 7.5 for a while 2 years ago. Don't remember it ever getting to 8.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ... don't suppose anyone knows about the British school do they??
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:31 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

In the last five years:

High: 7.745, November 8, 2007
Low: 5.058, January 23, 2009
Old Feb 11th 2009, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i have been in ad for 11 years when i came out it was nearer the 5 mark and then it went to 7 and then now back to 5. the british school in ad is a well established school and its certainly one of the better paid ones. defo go for it. i have two kids in it and have done for quite a few years. it started life off as just a primary school but they have added bits and now it goes allthe way through.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

It's a great school and the teachers seem happy enough there. Last time the exchange rate was really high they all got a pay rise to reflect this. I am a parent, not a teacher, but I believe the management do their best to keep salaries in line with what you would receive in the UK (but tax-free of course!).
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
It's a great school and the teachers seem happy enough there. Last time the exchange rate was really high they all got a pay rise to reflect this. I am a parent, not a teacher, but I believe the management do their best to keep salaries in line with what you would receive in the UK (but tax-free of course!).
Agreed.

Its the oldest school in Abu Dhabi, they have got a great complex, the teachers seems to stay for long periods and they all seem happy.

Sec teachers are a great bunch, the kids seem to have great relationships with them, very supporting through the GCSE's and A Levels and they tend to get good results.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone- really helpful responses!!