British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British Primary School in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-primary-school-abu-dhabi-938638/)

MyintD May 16th 2021 7:10 pm

British Primary School in Abu Dhabi

Hello everyone,

Just started to look for housing and schools for the relocation to Abu Dhabi.

Need to find primary school first, then housing, then nursery. I've got one 16-months old toddler btw.

I've found there are three best British schools according to Good School Guides.
1) British School AI Khubairat
2) Cranleigh Abu Dhabi
3) Repton School

Has anyone done the research before or have children attend any of these three schools? Appreciate if you can provide some personal insights on these schools.

csdf May 17th 2021 4:46 am

Re: British Primary School in Abu Dhabi

There's also Brighton College. My son goes to BSAK; my toddler twins (aged 2 1/2) will still be at nursery for another year due to their birth date and the year cutoff.

MyintD May 17th 2021 8:25 am

Thanks. What has made your decision for BSAK? Any advise as how to choose among the 4 schools?

Gavtek May 17th 2021 9:13 am

Also worth considering Raha International School if your place of work is at the airport end of town, it's more an IB school than pure British curriculum but it's very good and the fees are surprisingly reasonable.

If your child is 16 months, there's no rush. As far as I'm aware there's not any long waiting lists in Abu Dhabi. My youngest is 3 and I haven't given any thought to applying for primary schools for him yet. I certainly wouldn't be choosing my housing location based on where my kid will be going to school in a couple of years.

MyintD May 17th 2021 9:44 am

Thanks for mentioning Raha, i will take a look and do more research.

My employer pays up to 45K for the tuition fee so i am ok if i need to pay some additions on top of that. Having said that, I've noticed Cranleigh charges a particularly high fee, not sure if it is worth it. Do you know why they charge such a high fee?

Btw a bit more background about myself, I am originally from China and have lived and worked in London for 10 years, now moving to Abu Dhabi.

csdf May 17th 2021 10:08 am

Cranleigh (in the UK) is a well established independent school with a good reputation and so Cranleigh Abu Dhabi is capitalising on that reputation. They also have great facilities.

We chose BSAK because it seems to be populated by relatively down-to-earth people (compared to Cranleigh), it's a not-for-profit and, like Cranleigh and Brighton College, is rated Outstanding by ADEK. BSAK is also right next to where we live, which helps.

flares May 17th 2021 10:26 am

Another vote for BSAK. Our kids were there from '06 to '14.

It's where the Al Nayhans send their kids.

'Son - be extra nice to little Khalifa'

'Son - where did you get that brand new Nintendo DS from - it's on your Christmas list?'
'Oh Fatima bought it for me...all the boys in the class got one'

'Dad we got a class trip today to see Khaled's dad's car museum. I got to sit in a Bugatti'

'Why all the commotion at the front gates?'
'Sheikh Mansoor's lad has brought the Premier League trophy to 'show and tell''

MyintD May 17th 2021 10:45 am

Thanks, and makes sense! That's very helpful!

MyintD May 17th 2021 10:47 am

Thanks. Good to know! :lol:

MyintD May 17th 2021 10:51 am

Thanks everyone who replies under this thread. Looks like it will be a less headache than choosing a school in UK. There are just a few choices in AD anyway.

I will probably go for a school tour for Cranleigh, BSAK and Raha. Then, we can make a decision from there!

csdf May 17th 2021 11:05 am

Be aware that Cranleigh is a selective school, so your child will be invited to an assessment morning (or at least, that's how it worked pre-covid) and may or may not subsequently get an offer.

MyintD May 17th 2021 11:44 am

Ah, missed that. Thanks!