Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British passport renewal

British passport renewal

Old Jun 13th 2014, 8:53 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport renewal

Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

It's now not even possible to make an appointment for the 1-day service. After 10 minutes in a queue, it times out saying there are too many people calling, and the only option is to leave your number for a call-back. But obviously the system won't let you enter a non-UK phone number...
Old Jun 16th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
it was about a week "before" the "backlog" so who knows.... its buried somewhere in orange boxes.

you can get a new visa put in the new one with a bit of persuasive intervention
I don't need my UAE one yet. Ghana consulate will not give me a new visa when my old one is still valid and they won't transfer it to my new passport unless I have a police report stating my old passport is lost.

The only good thing is I get to miss another scheduled trip to West Africa. Employer is not too impressed though.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
It's now not even possible to make an appointment for the 1-day service. After 10 minutes in a queue, it times out saying there are too many people calling, and the only option is to leave your number for a call-back. But obviously the system won't let you enter a non-UK phone number...
I called at 8am UK and got through no problem, although that was a couple of weeks ago before the media-stoked mass hysteria broke out.

For what it’s worth, once there the 1-day fast track process was quick and painless.

Re the hysteria – I recognise it’s different for people here who have visas to worry about, but for those in the UK why would they wait until the last minute to renew their passport? It seems to be worse this year but there are delays in getting new passports almost every year just before summer holiday time.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:42 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

because they moved all the separate overseas offices and consulate services to the UK passport offices as well.

the uk people are applying in march/april for a june/july travel. they were told 3 weeks turnaround, allowed for 8. that's pretty reasonable. and they would have timed it for after the easter break if they were going away then as well.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:42 pm
womble

because they moved all the separate overseas offices and consulate services to the UK passport offices as well.

the uk people are applying in march/april for a june/july travel. they were told 3 weeks turnaround, allowed for 8. that's pretty reasonable. and they would have timed it for after the easter break if they were going away then as well.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh measures to help UK expats caught in Britain’s passport crisis | The National
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

As said previously, these measures don't really help. Getting an emergency passport for your newborn isn't going to help it get the visa which allows it to remain in the country. A 12-month extension is no use to the (at least 50%) of expats who renew because they've run out of pages.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:25 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
As said previously, these measures don't really help. Getting an emergency passport for your newborn isn't going to help it get the visa which allows it to remain in the country. A 12-month extension is no use to the (at least 50%) of expats who renew because they've run out of pages.
I'm only familiar with the American system, but surely the visa is just your ENTRY permit (as it were), not the right to remain? That's covered by your underlying status. Are you saying if you don't have a visa in your passport, you could go out of status? That seems pretty absurd to me.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I'm only familiar with the American system, but surely the visa is just your ENTRY permit (as it were), not the right to remain? That's covered by your underlying status. Are you saying if you don't have a visa in your passport, you could go out of status? That seems pretty absurd to me.
You need a residence permit to work and to stay longer than one month or so.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:55 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
You need a residence permit to work and to stay longer than one month or so.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

These idiots haven't quite grasped where the problem is

"Tourism minister Helen Grant has come under fire after appearing to suggest people whose passports have been delayed could opt to holiday in the UK."

BBC News - Passport delays: Tourism minister promotes 'staycations'
Old Jun 20th 2014, 11:48 am
womble

I wanted to throttle her when I read that!

So, next week I go to get my emergency passport, fingers crossed.... oh I'm going to have so much trying to get out and then in again.....
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

"Nearly three quarters of countries will not accept passports given 12 month extensions under plans to alleviate the crisis, it has been revealed. "

Read more: Fresh travel chaos as ministers admit emergency passport extensions useless in dozens of holiday hotspots | Mail Online
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiraz1
"Nearly three quarters of countries will not accept passports given 12 month extensions under plans to alleviate the crisis, it has been revealed. "

Read more: Fresh travel chaos as ministers admit emergency passport extensions useless in dozens of holiday hotspots | Mail Online
yes but they are thinking that people are just returning to the uk, which you can return on expired british passports anyways! none of this has really helped the expats, but i know people that have been waiting like 2 months have now been getting back both their passports this week, so they are beginning to trickle thru, so i would hold up in getting an etd until very last day etc because it says that issuing an etd will then cancel your passport application anyways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.