British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British muslim couple moving to Makkah in Septmeber '08 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-muslim-couple-moving-makkah-septmeber-08-a-545724/)

Contentment Jun 28th 2008 2:14 pm

British muslim couple moving to Makkah in Septmeber '08

Hi and Salaam to all...

I am new to this webiste and am finding my way around! Reason for me joining is due to me and my husband moving to KSA - Makkah later on this year (God Willing). We have a lot of questions that we were hoping could be answered from an expat perspective! I am hoping someone has lived in Makkah as an expat and will be willing to share their expereinces with us.

1) Accomodation will be provided or we will get an allowance for 1500 SR (each). Will this be sufficient to get by with - i.e will we be able to get a decent nice clean place to live on this allowance?

2) What are the meccan locals like? Are they hospitable and friendly?

3) What are the general cost of living?

Just a few questions to start with. Will appreciate it if anyone could shed some light!

Awaiting comments

Thanking you kindly :D

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2008 2:27 pm

Re: British muslim couple moving to Makkah in Septmeber '08

no idea about it to be honest with you, my husband has just told me that only Muslim people are allowed in Makkah so hence not many of us will be able to answer your question. A housing allowance here of 3000 SR would get you nowhere but it might be a different story in Makkah. What line of work is your husband in?

Contentment Jun 28th 2008 2:39 pm

Thank you for your reply. What would you say is a reasonable cost for accomodation on a monthly basis. I suspect it will be cheaper in Makkah but how much would you need if you were to live in for example jeddah?

The company have offered us 2 options - we either get an allowance or they provide accomodation "at an appropriate standard". My husband will be working for a company called "Al-Khaleej" as a buisness trainer..

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2008 2:43 pm

I honestly don't have the faintest idea, one of our other members - The Dean should be able to help you, he is in Riyadh so he will be able to give you Riyadh prices. I would take the accomodation not the money ;)

lionheart Jun 28th 2008 3:35 pm

For God's sake, don't live in Mecca unless you are fundamentalists. The place is teeming with Muslim pilgrims all year round and during Hajj its unbearable. Jeddah is only a 40 minute drive, its on the coast and with plenty to do. Go and find a place there instead.

Contentment Jun 28th 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for your reply lionheart - thing is the decision to live in a city other than Makkah is one that we can explore at a later stage - but for now we are happy with Makkah - the pilgrims would not hinder us in anyway and frankly we would like to perform the pilgrim whilst we are there God willing. Do you have any further advice relating to the questions i have specifically oulined then i would love to hear it..

Thank you :)

Contentment Jun 28th 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6513154)
I honestly don't have the faintest idea, one of our other members - The Dean should be able to help you, he is in Riyadh so he will be able to give you Riyadh prices. I would take the accomodation not the money ;)

Thank you for your advise Blue Cat. :thumbsup: Where are you currently living?

The Dean Jun 28th 2008 7:15 pm

Interesting questions - until a while ago you not only had to be a muslim to live in Makkah (still the case), but you also had to be Saudi (apparently no longer).

That rent/allowance will get you a small 2-bed place in Riyadh (in a downtown area), but Makkah is cheaper. I still think getting them to find it for you would be easier/better though. Is your husband's work in Makkah itself?

Good luck - and when you have moved over, please keep posting - I'd really like to hear a Makkah resident's viewpoint of some of the issues discussed on here..... there's a guy calling himself Beard Man you should definitely get to know.........

Blue Cat Jun 29th 2008 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Contentment (Post 6513700)
Thank you for your advise Blue Cat. :thumbsup: Where are you currently living?

I am in Dubai, along with the majority of the posters on here, but there are a few in KSA and we do get regular enquiries about life in KSA ;)

Worldismine Jun 29th 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Contentment (Post 6513063)
Hi and Salaam to all...

2) What are the meccan locals like? Are they hospitable and friendly?

In a nutshell, Yes compared to Western Cities, No compared to some other parts of Arabia. I have heard from countless people that Medina is the most hospitable and friendly, while Makkah is more chaotic and bustling. Remember Makkans have always been more trade orientated and this trait remains to this day.

Either way enjoy it, and differentiate between nationalistic and Islamic Saudis, the Islamic ones will embarrass you with their kindness and generosity, while the Nationalist Saudis will humour you with their pride

lionheart Jun 29th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Worldismine (Post 6515461)
Either way enjoy it, and differentiate between nationalistic and Islamic Saudis, the Islamic ones will embarrass you with their kindness and generosity, while the Nationalist Saudis will humour you with their pride

But don't forget the arrogant Saudis who will bore you with their boastfulness. Just remind them about a certain British guy called Lawrence...

Contentment Jun 30th 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6513929)
Interesting questions - until a while ago you not only had to be a muslim to live in Makkah (still the case), but you also had to be Saudi (apparently no longer).

That rent/allowance will get you a small 2-bed place in Riyadh (in a downtown area), but Makkah is cheaper. I still think getting them to find it for you would be easier/better though. Is your husband's work in Makkah itself?

Good luck - and when you have moved over, please keep posting - I'd really like to hear a Makkah resident's viewpoint of some of the issues discussed on here..... there's a guy calling himself Beard Man you should definitely get to know.........

Hi,

Thank you for your comments - both informative and positive :) Yes my husband and i will be working in Makkah. Now it makes sense why there is such limited information on the web about expats living in Makkah. I had no idea only Saudi's were allowed to live in Makkah!!

And i will definately share my experiences with everyone :)

Contentment Jun 30th 2008 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Worldismine (Post 6515461)
In a nutshell, Yes compared to Western Cities, No compared to some other parts of Arabia. I have heard from countless people that Medina is the most hospitable and friendly, while Makkah is more chaotic and bustling. Remember Makkans have always been more trade orientated and this trait remains to this day.

Positive and refreshing comments - i am feeling more and more excited by the day! So i guess we should prepare for a lot of haggling! :) Thank you

nottmbantam Jun 30th 2008 1:49 pm

Salaams Contentment,

I can't comment on Makkah as I've not been there, like The Dean, I am also in Riyadh. I have my accommodation provided for me,so that might be something you want to consider. Make sure that whatever you agree - it is signed and sealed before you come out here.

I've been here about three months, and I initially came on my own, my wife will inshallah be joining me in a couple of months - so check this bit out - can you both come out together, or does he need to come first then bring you out once he gets his paperwork through?

Cost of living is far cheaper than the UK, you will notice that.

If you have kids, you will want to look into having the school fees paid for , and all the other things associated.

Keep posting,will be interesting to see how you get on.

Salaams.

Contentment Jun 30th 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6513929)

Are the flats/apartments fully furnished? Ie washing machine/microwaves etc??