Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British License and the new UAE rule

British License and the new UAE rule

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of
Default Re: British License and the new UAE rule

Originally Posted by momix
I heard that UAE authorities are no longer accepting British license to be exchanged for a local UAE license.
also you have to sit 50 classes in order to obtain a UAE license.

will i still be able to rent a car during my first month of arrival using my british licesne ?

can you someone please advise me on this...
My wife exhanged her UK license for a UAE one last week in Abu Dhabi - 400 Dhs, much argument by the good lady and an hour later, we had a UAE driving license.

I was told that as soon as you get residency, you must get a UAE driving license. The UK/international driving license combo will not be valid after this.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewpops
My wife exhanged her UK license for a UAE one last week in Abu Dhabi - 400 Dhs, much argument by the good lady and an hour later, we had a UAE driving license.

I was told that as soon as you get residency, you must get a UAE driving license. The UK/international driving license combo will not be valid after this.
That's what i heard too - so I got mine done here in Sharjah, cheaper though only paid 190 (+15 for typing)

That said, it's impossible to hire a car now

If you have residency then not only do they want a UAE licence, but in order to be covered by the hire company insurance they often require a local licence that has been valid for a whole year!

(though for non-residents, a foreign licence/IDP is fine - yet another illogical UAE contradiction!)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:40 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Yep, it's really easy to get a licence in Dubai .. It was 150dhs when I got mine and the typing fee varied from person to person! Not that the guy was corrupt or anything

I paid 150 Dhs last July for my international permit, wasn't charged for typing though - Its still valid until July 17th - But dont need it anymore
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:18 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I've always just hired a car in the UK with my Dubai licence. Still have to pay the fine for the speed cameras but you don't get the points!
I think I used my Dubai licence in Ireland last year. Not been back to the UK since I moved here - going at the end of July and will use the Dubai licence then or may even get an International one as my other international one has expired.

So how do they track you for the fines? and how would you make payment? Can it be done online? Not that I intend to go speeding around!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived here 4 weeks ago from NZ. We could not rent a car without a International Driving Permit which we got online from NZ but it took 3 weeks so make sure you get an IDP before you come.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:35 pm
thb
Just Joined

thb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
We arrived here 4 weeks ago from NZ. We could not rent a car without a International Driving Permit which we got online from NZ but it took 3 weeks so make sure you get an IDP before you come.
For those in the UK coming to Dubai who want to drive must get the international driving licence. This is very very easy to get in the UK, just take your driving licence to your local post office, pay them £6, then five minutes later (quicker if the blokey doing it hasn't had a heavy evening the night before) you're in possesion of the licence.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So if you get one of those temp UAE licences, does that allow you insure a car?

I still don't have residency, but want to buy a car shortly.

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Thanks
i don't think you can buy a car without residency...i remember I had to wait for delivery of mine until I got the residency stamp...

MM, xx
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:58 am
live life to the max

mythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond repute

I think I used my Dubai licence in Ireland last year. Not been back to the UK since I moved here - going at the end of July and will use the Dubai licence then or may even get an International one as my other international one has expired.

So how do they track you for the fines? and how would you make payment? Can it be done online? Not that I intend to go speeding around!
the hire company will take your addy, and foreward any fines, be carefull not to tell plod you are a visitor, he will fine you on spot, 30 quid for average speeding, one you leave country it will cost to much to pursue,
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:49 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mythic
the hire company will take your addy, and foreward any fines, be carefull not to tell plod you are a visitor, he will fine you on spot, 30 quid for average speeding, one you leave country it will cost to much to pursue,
I presume he would have to catch me first?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:50 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Meow

Thanks
Yep MM is right, you need your residency before you can purchase your car. Have you been here since Feb?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:13 am
live life to the max

mythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond repute

I presume he would have to catch me first?
oh they dont chase speeders anymore, looking for the ciggies easy money
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:22 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by mythic
oh they dont chase speeders anymore, looking for the ciggies easy money
damm ... I love a good car chase
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thb
For those in the UK coming to Dubai who want to drive must get the international driving licence. This is very very easy to get in the UK, just take your driving licence to your local post office, pay them £6, then five minutes later (quicker if the blokey doing it hasn't had a heavy evening the night before) you're in possesion of the licence.
My husband has been in Al Ain for a week and obtained his IDL in Austria before he left. I am at home in UK and hoping to travel to AA later in the year. I asked at my local PO about the IDL and was told that no they didnt do them but to contact either the RAC or the AA........... Royal Automobile Association and the Automobile Association for those who dont know. It is very very easy to do it this way and when I applied for one for Malaysia four years ago it was only GBP4. Perhaps although I would not have thought so it could depend on the part of the UK you are in if your post office does it or not.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

twistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of lighttwistopher is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure how the lady in Abu Dhabi paid 400 Dhs - i got mine yesterday and paid 200!! Very strange.
One word of warning - if you have a UK licence, you must get the paper copy translated into Arabic before you get there, or they'll send you away (lots of places on Hamdan street near Starbucks). I believe they can do it for you in Dubai. The British Embassy does not do it, despite that piece of uselessadvice from frozen-faced lady at Reception.
However, with the right documents it's a very simple process (especially at lunchtime when it's deserted).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.