Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British License and the new UAE rule

British License and the new UAE rule

Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British License and the new UAE rule

Originally Posted by jvr20
was it actual language or just the accent? Where were they from?
it was everything - the consultants we had used to complain about the standard of english and they had apparently all passed the spoken/written english examinations. You should have tried transcribing one of their audio tapes!!! non of the girls could do them, we just used to read the notes and then make the letter up from them. Some of them were good but the majority weren't.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:55 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by momix
ok thanks blue cat

my next question is how to obtain an international license ... sorry i know i am doughball...(naive)

Majj/Matahari and Blue cat ... thank you all
You can get international license from most major post offices in the UK. Take passport, UK license (including paper section) and they will do it while you wait.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:23 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Here is all the info you need for the licence -

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:44 pm
thb
Just Joined

thb is an unknown quantity at this point

You cannot hire a car in Dubai without the international licence. I tried and failed at all the hire desks at the airport with only my UK licence.

Also, make sure you have both the paper and photocard parts of your licence with you when you goto the traffic office to get your licence as they'll turn you away without it.

To be able to hire a car the second you land make sure you have the international licence, then a few days later get the temporary 6 month licence from the traffic office near MoE, then once you have the residency visa transfer to the permanent licence. That's my plan anyway - anyone see any holes in that?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:37 am
Just Joined

sheiky has a spectacular aura aboutsheiky has a spectacular aura aboutsheiky has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by thb
You cannot hire a car in Dubai without the international licence. I tried and failed at all the hire desks at the airport with only my UK licence.

Also, make sure you have both the paper and photocard parts of your licence with you when you goto the traffic office to get your licence as they'll turn you away without it.

To be able to hire a car the second you land make sure you have the international licence, then a few days later get the temporary 6 month licence from the traffic office near MoE, then once you have the residency visa transfer to the permanent licence. That's my plan anyway - anyone see any holes in that?

Did any one go for driving test, who had British license?
How hard is it to pass the exam?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:39 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheiky
Did any one go for driving test, who had British license?
How hard is it to pass the exam?
If you have a UK licence you don't need to sit a test!

Don't know why you need an international licence for a hire car either - we didn't just used UK licence which was fine
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:53 am
Just Joined

sheiky has a spectacular aura aboutsheiky has a spectacular aura aboutsheiky has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fairydust
If you have a UK licence you don't need to sit a test!

Don't know why you need an international licence for a hire car either - we didn't just used UK licence which was fine
thats the new rules. Haven't you heard?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:54 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheiky
thats the new rules. Haven't you heard?
Obviously not !!! There was talk of this recently but was later found to be wrong
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not !!! There was talk of this recently but was later found to be wrong
sitting exam for the license was, but not the needing an international license to hire one. It was discussed alot on the 'nappy' side
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:57 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sitting exam for the license was, but not the needing an international license to hire one. It was discussed alot on the 'nappy' side
far too cryptic for me
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:57 am
Concierge

far too cryptic for me
expat woman!! they are always talking about nappies and baby milk!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:01 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
expat woman!! they are always talking about nappies and baby milk!
Ahhhhhhhhhh ding the light has just come on
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:46 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I started reading this from the start and only when I got to page 2 and seen my post I realised it was weeks old

Speaking of licences, have you seen that you can get an International Licence by using your UAE licence at Emirates Post. Great for avoiding those speed cameras in the UK
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I've always just hired a car in the UK with my Dubai licence. Still have to pay the fine for the speed cameras but you don't get the points!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I've always just hired a car in the UK with my Dubai licence. Still have to pay the fine for the speed cameras but you don't get the points!
tut tut those speed limits are to save lives!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.