Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British Embassy Dubai

British Embassy Dubai

Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Embassy Dubai

Has anyone had any good experience of assistance from the consular staff in Dubai?

Think I may need their assistance in the next couple of weeks.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:37 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British Embassy Dubai

...a pedant steps in

There is no British Embassy in Dubai, it is a Consulate. The Embassy is in Abu Dhabi. However, when the Ambassador is visiting the Consulate, it becomes an Embassy for the duration of his/her visit.

/ambassadorial pedantry

I had to get rush job on a passport for a last minute visa - there was no room in my current passport for a full page visa to go in. They processed me a new passport overnight. This isn't something they can guarantee, and usually it takes at least a few days even if you get to "queue jump" but I was still extremely impressed.

Obviously this application was supported by official letters from the other foreign embassy, as well as the company inviting me and the airline and stuff, and I wrote a request letter too. And I got everything ready beforehand - right kind of photos, money, and so on. But they were still extremely helpful and efficient.

However when it comes to crime/police matters you're on your own. Only the US embassy is any good with police matters - Americans raping/killing/murdering pretty much get whisked out of the country on a private jet to avoid prosecution.

Last edited by secretdubai; Jul 15th 2007 at 8:40 am.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

When I went in to see if I could get my daughter a british passport I was treated really well - that was about 5 years ago.
Last year I went in to see if they could help with getting my Zambian birth certificate certified by them. They were equally helpful, kind and professional.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pisces
When I went in to see if I could get my daughter a british passport I was treated really well - that was about 5 years ago.
Last year I went in to see if they could help with getting my Zambian birth certificate certified by them. They were equally helpful, kind and professional.
I spoke to them this morning and they were anything but helpful! it seems they are helpful if you just need normal passport type services but if you really need help they are no use!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I spoke to them this morning and they were anything but helpful! it seems they are helpful if you just need normal passport type services but if you really need help they are no use!
Have you tried complaining to the Labour Department as it appears from your posts that your ex-employer is really messing you around
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

BCAF, British Citizens Abroad Federation - I think, they are the people who help out people in trouble here, with airfares etc. But I don't think they can help with labour issues.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Have you tried complaining to the Labour Department as it appears from your posts that your ex-employer is really messing you around
I dont really want to get the labour dept involved in case they put a ban on me leaving the country until i can prove ive paid my company!

hopefully things will now go ok but only thanks to the help of my parents! otherwise I would have been up effluent creek with a flat bit of wood!

it would be nice to report it but in the end I just need to get my passport back
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I dont really want to get the labour dept involved in case they put a ban on me leaving the country until i can prove ive paid my company!

hopefully things will now go ok but only thanks to the help of my parents! otherwise I would have been up effluent creek with a flat bit of wood!

it would be nice to report it but in the end I just need to get my passport back
In that case, once you're completely in the clear, then do complain about them. Better still is it possible to expose them in the media??
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
In that case, once you're completely in the clear, then do complain about them. Better still is it possible to expose them in the media??
www.7days.ae

Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and all the websites and of course chain emails - do not join xyz company....it will bring you bad luck - however forwarding this email to 20 people in Dubai will bring you a promotion within 20 days...... .....

Last edited by IndieG; Jul 16th 2007 at 6:48 pm.