British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Brexit anyone else worried (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/brexit-anyone-else-worried-878862/)

eastrunner Jun 14th 2016 6:30 am

Brexit anyone else worried

I wasn't around when the last referendum happened in the 70's, but this one is giving me the jitters, from potential negative equity in our London home and a host of other problems. With everything tipping towards Leave. All the Polls suggesting 'leave' ahead (except Bloomberg). Anyone else worried? am I missing something.
Seems like at the end its 2 arguments for the voters are, if you care about the economy stay, if you want to control migration Leave.

Brexit

ER

IKnowNothing Jun 14th 2016 6:58 am

Re: Brexit anyone else worried

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 11972878)
I wasn't around when the last referendum happened in the 70's, but this one is giving me the jitters, negative equity in our London home and a host of other problems. With everything tipping towards Leave. All the Polls suggesting 'leave' ahead (except Bloomberg). Anyone else worried? am I missing something.
Seems like at the end its 2 arguments for the voters are, if you care about the economy stay, if you want to control migration Leave.

Brexit

ER

You're in negative equity in your LONDON home?

My god you're a one to talk about economics aren't you.

eastrunner Jun 14th 2016 7:09 am

I'm saying IF Brexit happens the potential of Negative equity.

IKnowNothing Jun 14th 2016 7:11 am

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 11972906)
I'm saying IF Brexit happens the potential of Negative equity.

So you're a flipper too then? Negative equity only kicks in when you sell, if you keep a house for a few years you will ALWAYS make money.

co durham boy Jun 14th 2016 9:59 am

I wasn't around when the last referendum happened in the 70's, but this one is giving me the jitters, from potential negative equity in our London home and a host of other problems. With everything tipping towards Leave. All the Polls suggesting 'leave' ahead (except Bloomberg). Anyone else worried? am I missing something.

Brexit

ER

This sounds like a comment from a Daily Mail article .

Standanista Jun 14th 2016 10:55 am

I'm worried we'll stay in.

nottmbantam Jun 14th 2016 11:10 am

I wasn't around when the last referendum happened in the 70's,

ER

I remember the last one vaguely. I'd have been around 10 yrs old. What year was it - was the long hot summer of '76. Was probably too busy playing out in the streets to worry about all that grown up stuff.

Much the same today really...

OriginalSunshine Jun 14th 2016 12:31 pm

For most people it's not about the good reasons for staying in. It's about the country and the culture changing. A lot of the U.K. has immigrant ghettos where the newcomers do not absorb the host culture. Australia used to call it the FIFO requirement. People are scared of change, scared of ghettos, and the current government that has alienated so many is likely to induce that very British 2 fingered salute, just because they can.

I'm worried enough that I'm getting the documents together for my legal EU passport of non UK nationality.

Financially a Brexit would work for us, as the majority of our savings are in euros, and we don't own a uk property. That's selfish I know, but luckily for y'all I can't vote as I've been out of the U.K. for too long.

Bahtatboy Jun 14th 2016 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11973164)
For most people it's not about the good reasons for staying in. It's about the country and the culture changing. A lot of the U.K. has immigrant ghettos where the newcomers do not absorb the host culture...

EU immigrants or non-EU immigrants? Half of last year's 330,000 was EU, half was non-EU. In or out of EU, we can control non-EU immigration.

flood2 Jun 14th 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11973164)
For most people it's not about the good reasons for staying in. It's about the country and the culture changing. A lot of the U.K. has immigrant ghettos where the newcomers do not absorb the host culture. Australia used to call it the FIFO requirement. People are scared of change, scared of ghettos, and the current government that has alienated so many is likely to induce that very British 2 fingered salute, just because they can.

I'm worried enough that I'm getting the documents together for my legal EU passport of non UK nationality.

Financially a Brexit would work for us, as the majority of our savings are in euros, and we don't own a uk property. That's selfish I know, but luckily for y'all I can't vote as I've been out of the U.K. for too long.

The bigger issue is that if Britain leaves and other countries also want to leave. Imagine if Le Pen gets in as french leader, then it a good chance that the French will want a vote for exit.

I would put it at 50/50 that Europe and the euro will collapse, following a Brexit, within three years

Oh and BTW there a thread in the sand pit on this that is worth a read

eastrunner Jun 14th 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks all, very interesting points raised by some....we will know in 10 days

Brains1983 Jun 14th 2016 6:31 pm

I've got no strong feelings on this either way. There are pros and cons for both I guess.

Starting the applications off for the kids Nazi passports just incase though. Atleast if we decide to head back to Europe later in life, it'll only be me that needs a permit for mainland EU! How did that happen 😂😂😂

Pulaski Jun 14th 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11973329)
EU immigrants or non-EU immigrants? Half of last year's 330,000 was EU, half was non-EU. In or out of EU, we can control non-EU immigration.

Not to the extent that they're returning UK passport holders, or first generation descendants of UK citizens ("British citizens by descent"), or the spouses and family members of UK citizens. Those categories cover the bulk of the 330,000 non-EU immigrants.

martinbkk Jun 15th 2016 6:57 am

If UK votes to leave, what's the timeline? Vote on Thursday out on Friday?

christmasoompa Jun 15th 2016 7:04 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11973906)
If UK votes to leave, what's the timeline? Vote on Thursday out on Friday?

At least couple of years it would seem - EU Referendum: Know the facts: Square One Law guide lays out four possible legal outcomes of Brexit - Square One Law

HTH.