British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Breaking The Rules (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/breaking-rules-810437/)

scot47 Sep 26th 2013 1:29 pm

Breaking The Rules

We have the questions about couples who wish to cohabit in the ME without the bother of getting married. I am surprised that no one has asked about coming to the ME with his or her "civil partner" !!!

Patsy Stoned Sep 26th 2013 1:58 pm

Re: Breaking The Rules

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10919056)
We have the questions about couples who wish to cohabit in the ME without the bother of getting married. I am surprised that no one has asked about coming to the ME with his or her "civil partner" !!!

Again darling, nobody cares... I know a few gay couples who live together, male and female... most of them just keep the spare room looking occupied..so it is just 2 guys or 2 girls sharing an apartment.

Beakersful Sep 26th 2013 6:18 pm

In all honesty it's probably easier for two guys to 'share' an apartment in the bachelor areas than to wink at a girl in the mall. They could even walk down the street hand in hand, kiss each other in a 'brotherly' fashion and no-one would bat an eyelid.....

But I'm glad for one that these posters haven't googled before coming here. I need a good giggle.

Meow Sep 28th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10919110)
Again darling, nobody cares... I know a few gay couples who live together, male and female... most of them just keep the spare room looking occupied..so it is just 2 guys or 2 girls sharing an apartment.

I suspect a few people assume that anyone who is gay must dress and behave just like Liberace...

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 29th 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10919056)

Marriage is a 'bother'?

You sound like Ethos.

freewifiavailablehere Sep 29th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10919110)

Duabi, no doubt. Saudi and Kuwait? Oh, they care.....

Patsy Stoned Sep 29th 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere (Post 10922392)
Duabi, no doubt. Saudi and Kuwait? Oh, they care.....

Sweetie..it is an apartment share by 2 guys.... nobody cares. As long as they aren't out and about 'tripping the light fantastic' who would know?:D

sicklyman Oct 1st 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10922395)
Sweetie..it is an apartment share by 2 guys.... nobody cares. As long as they aren't out and about 'tripping the light fantastic' who would know?:D

You're right that plenty of guys share apartments. But in Saudi they would have to be extremely careful about their status. Saudi authorities have zero tolerance for this particular topic.

Living her would mean not breathing a word to anyone at all, including expat colleagues (who aren't exactly known for their ability not to gossip or to be discrete). That would include behaviour on flights in and out and also (if based near Bahrain) when over the border at the weekend.

They'd also better have nothing out there on the Internet which would allow Saudi authorities/students/workmates/snoopers to put two and two together. Hard to control what others might say about them even if they kept a low profile.

Not sure if it would be worth having all that hanging over you.

Patsy Stoned Oct 2nd 2013 3:11 am

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 10926255)
You're right that plenty of guys share apartments. But in Saudi they would have to be extremely careful about their status. Saudi authorities have zero tolerance for this particular topic.

Living her would mean not breathing a word to anyone at all, including expat colleagues (who aren't exactly known for their ability not to gossip or to be discrete). That would include behaviour on flights in and out and also (if based near Bahrain) when over the border at the weekend.

They'd also better have nothing out there on the Internet which would allow Saudi authorities/students/workmates/snoopers to put two and two together. Hard to control what others might say about them even if they kept a low profile.

Not sure if it would be worth having all that hanging over you.

And yet..several of my gay friends here have regular contact with an array of Saudi guys, who all play for the other team :D

Meow Oct 2nd 2013 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10926766)
And yet..several of my gay friends here have regular contact with an array of Saudi guys, who all play for the other team :D

Quite. There are plenty of gay GCC nationals. Sadly many come under family pressure to marry and conform so that must make for a miserable life.

And it's not as if most gay men go about mincing or flapping limp wrists. The majority of people would never know if a man, or indeed woman, was gay. It's no one else's business anyway.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 2nd 2013 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10926856)
Quite. There are plenty of gay GCC nationals. Sadly many come under family pressure to marry and conform so that must make for a miserable life.

And it's not as if most gay men go about mincing or flapping limp wrists. The majority of people would never know if a man, or indeed woman, was gay. It's no one else's business anyway.

Great point.

nonthaburi Oct 2nd 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10926856)

More gaydar needed then.:eek:

Patsy Stoned Oct 2nd 2013 11:58 am

My friends, who were over last week, have gaydar..there were 9 contacts within 3 streets from my villa.... I live in al barsha..a very local area :-D

hong_konger Oct 3rd 2013 12:19 am

How very dare you !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hfZqbZtT6E