Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Break Renal Contract

Break Renal Contract

Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:14 am
Just Joined

soonerindubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Break Renal Contract

Rented a flat for 2 years in Dubai. Paid 1 check for the 1st year, gave PDC for year 2 dated Oct 2009.

In crisis now and need to leave. Landlord says he won't return the money.

What do I do?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Break Renal Contract

Originally Posted by soonerindubai
Rented a flat for 2 years in Dubai. Paid 1 check for the 1st year, gave PDC for year 2 dated Oct 2009.

What do I do?
cancel the check with your bank if it hasnt been cashed yet...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

What do I do?
have you given your LL the correct notice time to quit?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:31 am
Just Joined

I still have 7 months left on the contract for thisyear. Any chance I can get my money back?

I have heard that the landlord can freeze bank account if I were to cancel next years rent check, any thruth to this?

thanks
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You would think that banks cannot cash a post-dated cheque but my boss found out from a routine look at his statement that a cheque to his Landlord dated 25th February had been cashed on the 15th...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:34 am
Just Joined

My contract says that I have to pay the rent until he finds a new tenant. Well he can drag this to forever?

Should I send a written letter stating reasons to break the contract ASAP? there is no notice time in the contract
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My contract says that I have to pay the rent until he finds a new tenant. Well he can drag this to forever?

Should I send a written letter stating reasons to break the contract ASAP? there is no notice time in the contract
Should you not have thought this possible scenario through before signing a contract without any notice period? On first impressions, it seems complete madness...and your username doesn't exactly help us sympathise with your current predicament. No doubt you will provide a genuine reason for the crisis (sudden ill health, for example) but honestly some people need to be better prepared.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
cancel the check with your bank if it hasnt been cashed yet...
Worth investigating, but not so easy to cancel a cheque here in my experience.

Could go into why on earth in October 2008 you signed up to a 2 year rental with no get out clause, but this is water under the bridge.

Ultimately, all the landlord wants is his money, so you need to find someone to take your place.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Should you not have thought this possible scenario through before signing a contract without any notice period? On first impressions, it seems complete madness...and your username doesn't exactly help us sympathise with your current predicament. No doubt you will provide a genuine reason for the crisis (sudden ill health, for example) but honestly some people need to be better prepared.
Telling him off doesn't really help the guy, does it? if only everyone were as perfect as some of the people on this site......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:21 am