British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Break Renal Contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/break-renal-contract-593616/)

soonerindubai Feb 24th 2009 6:14 am

Break Renal Contract

Rented a flat for 2 years in Dubai. Paid 1 check for the 1st year, gave PDC for year 2 dated Oct 2009.

In crisis now and need to leave. Landlord says he won't return the money.

What do I do?

commander Feb 24th 2009 6:27 am

Re: Break Renal Contract

Originally Posted by soonerindubai (Post 7316786)
Rented a flat for 2 years in Dubai. Paid 1 check for the 1st year, gave PDC for year 2 dated Oct 2009.

What do I do?

cancel the check with your bank if it hasnt been cashed yet...

Blue Cat Feb 24th 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by soonerindubai (Post 7316786)

What do I do?

have you given your LL the correct notice time to quit?

soonerindubai Feb 24th 2009 6:31 am

I still have 7 months left on the contract for thisyear. Any chance I can get my money back?

I have heard that the landlord can freeze bank account if I were to cancel next years rent check, any thruth to this?

thanks

lionheart Feb 24th 2009 6:33 am

You would think that banks cannot cash a post-dated cheque but my boss found out from a routine look at his statement that a cheque to his Landlord dated 25th February had been cashed on the 15th...:huh:

soonerindubai Feb 24th 2009 6:34 am

My contract says that I have to pay the rent until he finds a new tenant. Well he can drag this to forever?

Should I send a written letter stating reasons to break the contract ASAP? there is no notice time in the contract

lionheart Feb 24th 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by soonerindubai (Post 7316825)
My contract says that I have to pay the rent until he finds a new tenant. Well he can drag this to forever?

Should I send a written letter stating reasons to break the contract ASAP? there is no notice time in the contract

Should you not have thought this possible scenario through before signing a contract without any notice period? On first impressions, it seems complete madness...and your username doesn't exactly help us sympathise with your current predicament. No doubt you will provide a genuine reason for the crisis (sudden ill health, for example) but honestly some people need to be better prepared.

Bonny Boy Feb 24th 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7316809)
cancel the check with your bank if it hasnt been cashed yet...

Worth investigating, but not so easy to cancel a cheque here in my experience.

Could go into why on earth in October 2008 you signed up to a 2 year rental with no get out clause, but this is water under the bridge.

Ultimately, all the landlord wants is his money, so you need to find someone to take your place.

Ronnie Biggs Feb 24th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7316830)
Should you not have thought this possible scenario through before signing a contract without any notice period? On first impressions, it seems complete madness...and your username doesn't exactly help us sympathise with your current predicament. No doubt you will provide a genuine reason for the crisis (sudden ill health, for example) but honestly some people need to be better prepared.

Telling him off doesn't really help the guy, does it? if only everyone were as perfect as some of the people on this site......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Autonomy Feb 24th 2009 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 7317190)
Telling him off doesn't really help the guy, does it? if only everyone were as perfect as some of the people on this site......

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Can't but agree....

GrecoRomano Feb 24th 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by soonerindubai (Post 7316825)

Soonerindubai, you can try the rental committee, go there directly (Dubai Municipality building on the creek in Deira, next to the Radisson Sas - ex-Intercon) and bring your contract. Beware, they'll ask you to open a case, most probably. And the judiciary expenses are 5% of the value of the rental contract.

GrecoRomano Feb 24th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 7316891)
Worth investigating, but not so easy to cancel a cheque here in my experience.

Could go into why on earth in October 2008 you signed up to a 2 year rental with no get out clause, but this is water under the bridge.

Ultimately, all the landlord wants is his money, so you need to find someone to take your place.

BB, most of the contracts don't have that clause and come with a "NON NEGOTIABLE" stamped all over it. Mine, ever more: clause 5) and 6) specify that nor before commencing, nor during the year of rental I will be able, for any reason, to terminate my contract before the 12 months. When I asked it to be changed they told me: "you'll get 6 months penalty, if you leave it as it is, you can expect some mercy." And I don't like mercy, but had to record that conversation on a tape recorder and have faith that nothing will go wrong...

TGFKASE Feb 24th 2009 10:12 am

Sorry, thought this was something to do with kidney dialysis...

Move along....

Charismatic Feb 24th 2009 10:36 am

Get insured.

Burn the place down by accidentally leaving a frying pan on when you go out.

Problem solved :).

Happy to help (as ever).

soonerindubai Feb 24th 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano (Post 7317285)
Soonerindubai, you can try the rental committee, go there directly (Dubai Municipality building on the creek in Deira, next to the Radisson Sas - ex-Intercon) and bring your contract. Beware, they'll ask you to open a case, most probably. And the judiciary expenses are 5% of the value of the rental contract.

thanks. Will try once again with the LL before I open a case. Will offer him 2months rent to get out.