British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Break in on Arabian Ranches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/break-arabian-ranches-569601/)

Jmover Oct 27th 2008 11:52 am

Break in on Arabian Ranches

Hi there - can anyone help? I have just got home with the kids from school to find the door to the lounge wide open - with finger prints - has anyone else had this happen lately?

I have gone round the house and can't seem to find that anything has been taken, but I am very worried - the door want forced - how easy are these patio doors to open?

Can anyone recommend a good locksmith?

I have contacted the police and they are on their way over.
Would appreciate any advice.

MataHari Oct 27th 2008 11:54 am

Re: Break in on Arabian Ranches

try and open them yourself and you'll find out soon enough how easy they are to open...

Jmover Oct 27th 2008 12:44 pm

I have a locksmith coming tonight, and I am going to find out how the burglar alarm works! - although nothing was taken, it is not nice to know someone came into the house. The Police and the security from Emaar were very nice!

Blue Cat Oct 27th 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jmover (Post 6914243)
I have a locksmith coming tonight, and I am going to find out how the burglar alarm works! - although nothing was taken, it is not nice to know someone came into the house. The Police and the security from Emaar were very nice!

glad to hear that nothing was taken, maybe they were disturbed?

NorthernLad Oct 27th 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jmover (Post 6914103)
Hi there - can anyone help? I have just got home with the kids from school to find the door to the lounge wide open - with finger prints - has anyone else had this happen lately?

I have gone round the house and can't seem to find that anything has been taken, but I am very worried - the door want forced - how easy are these patio doors to open?

You don't need a locksmith - get a piece of wood to slot into the gap between end of door and the frame. Only way round that is to smash the glass (locks can be forced).

Roadking Oct 27th 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6914307)
glad to hear that nothing was taken, maybe they were disturbed?

Maybe they were just thieves, why blame the disturbed?:blink:

Blue Cat Oct 27th 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6914334)
Maybe they were just thieves, why blame the disturbed?:blink:

yes I agree it was a tad thoughtless :p

Chesney Hawkes Oct 28th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Jmover (Post 6914103)

Probably you're gardner going in for a drink of water and forgot to close the door on his way out.....?!! Musta been parched

Alen1 Oct 28th 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6914328)
You don't need a locksmith - get a piece of wood to slot into the gap between end of door and the frame. Only way round that is to smash the glass (locks can be forced).

Also, check if the door/window can be lifted out of the frame.
I was burgeld thus (by a 'friend') when I lived in Satwa many years ago.
You might need a piece of 2x2 or similar to slot into any gap at the top of the frame.

ctfc Oct 28th 2008 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear this - always very uncomfortable.

Another friend in AR had a stranger walking around in her house one evening last week. They were out but the maid was in and though very scared challenged the guy. Worryingly he was very well dressed so probably would have got straight past security. He claimed he was simply in the wrong street and vanished again quickly but all kind of worrying.